5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer causing Electronic Throttle Control and Stability Control Module issues

ande2407

Reaction score
So, just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 w/3L diesel. Love the truck, had it 15 days so far.... Went to pick up a travel trailer from the parents that they have not used in a while ( 5 years lol ). Checked out the trailer, lights worked ITBM connected brakes checked out, no issues so I thought.

I start driving, and the first 2 hours no issues. I stop and top off the diesel, and as soon as I get back on the highway, I get a "Service Electronic Throttle Control Module" and "Service Stability Control Module" messages and a check engin light. Truck then enters limp mode. I pull over, turn it off and back on, truck drives fine again except the engine icon. This continues to happen every 10-20 minutes. Pretty frustrating. Looking ahead, I call a Ram dealership but no techs on duty, but they have an express place that is open. Talk to them, and they say if I bring it back they can check the codes etc.

The guy looks at it and immediately asks if I had issues before the trailer, to which I say no. He clears codes, does some quick diagnostics and says he is pretty sure that it is something with the trailer. Said the Stability Control Module is the give away. Looks at the connector, says this doesn't look too bad. Could be cleaner, which I will do. Suggests if it continues, drive for while without the trailer connected to test. I say thanks, doesn't charge me, and I'm off.

I drove for 2 more hours with no issues. Then I am paging down the dash menus and I notice the trailer menu says no trailer connected... I'm cruising at this point, and getting closer to home. I pick the last rest stop before I exit the freeway and pull off. Turns out he didn't push the plug all the way in. Fixed, check the lights, etc... Drive off and in 5 minutes, errors again. F me.

Anyhow, I made it back, and it seems he is correct in his diagnosis. My question is, What am I looking for?

Would a dirty connection cause this?
Possible that some drain in the trailer would cause this?
Bad brakes?
Squirrels?

Any advice would be appreciated. Been pulling stuff off your forum for 2 weeks now. Now it's my turn to ask for help! I'm honestly an Electrical Engineer that specializes in Firmware, so it irks me that this error message was not "trailer error message". There's no reason for limp mode that I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread