5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Camera Options?

TMF

Reaction score
I have a 2022 1500 Limited w/ 12 inch screen and digital rear view mirror and I opted to not get the trailer 360 cameras since I mainly pull an open car hauler. I see the option for the "Aux Camera 2" (photo below) and assumed I could just add a camera to the back of my trailer. After researching, it appears there is no plug and play option to add that Aux camera unless your truck is pre-wired for the retailer 360 cameras?! That button gives false hopes!!

20230222_161149.jpg

I do also have the digital review mirror. On the HD Ram's, you can conveniently add a camera that plums directly into the digital rear view mirror. Not on the 1500's though, ugh!

I'd like to add a camera, using one of the OEM screens, if possible. I'm not afraid to do some wiring and pull apart interior panels if I need to. I also have AlfaOBD.

So what are my options to add a rear view trailer camera? I've seen some stuff on the following:

1. Aux Camera 2 on the 12 in display: I think you can somehow add the OEM wiring for the 12 pin connector so you can actually add a camera and use "Aux Camera 2" on the 12 inch display? If anyone can point me to the parts and/or documentation, that'd be awesome. I believe that this is the correct camera, and the instructions do a great job of showing how to add the camera to your trailer, but no mention of the truck side wiring or where to plug it in. Camera link: 2020-2022 Ram Dual Camera Trailer Kit 82216068AD | My Mopar Parts
For this option, I'm guessing I'd need to add the truck side wiring harness and enable it in the body computer via AlfaOBD?

2. Digital Rear View Mirror from an HD Ram: I'm guessing the other option would be swapping out my DRVM for the DRVM from an HD Ram, and adding the right camera. I think this would use a "FAKRA" connection? Again, any info related to parts needed or other posts would be awesome.

3. Amazon special: I could add a wireless camera with display. There are a ton of options on Amazon. I'm guessing this is the cheapest option, but I really don't want to add another display in the cab.

@Jimmy07 - hate to tag you unexpectedly on a post, but based on my research, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on this topic :) Thanks in advance for any input you can share!

I can also update this thread once I have more info so it can serve as a future reference for others!

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The HDs use the 2-channel digital rear view mirror.
If you had that, then you would be able to add the trailer kit.

The problem with the aux inputs is they are analog. Your rear view mirror is digital and so is the trailer cam. It's a big difference in resolution. They aren't interchangeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMF

TMF

Reaction score
The HDs use the 2-channel digital rear view mirror.
If you had that, then you would be able to add the trailer kit.

The problem with the aux inputs is they are analog. Your rear view mirror is digital and so is the trailer cam. It's a big difference in resolution. They aren't interchangeable.

Makes sense, and I was assuming they were different cameras. Seems like the camera going to the DRVM might be my best. Do you happen to know the part number for the camera that could plum into the 2nd port on the DRVM? I see the part numbers for the DRVM but not the standalone camera...

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense, and I was assuming they were different cameras. Seems like the camera going to the DRVM might be my best. Do you happen to know the part number for the camera that could plum into the 2nd port on the DRVM? I see the part numbers for the DRVM but not the standalone camera...
No, but there is a good thread about it on the HD forum.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thread '2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options' 2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

TMF

Reaction score
Bumping this back up - any one know the parts numbers to get option #1 (rear trailer aux cam in Uconnect screen) working?

Users who are viewing this thread