5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Brake Switch Removal

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this (Drivetrain, Interior, Audio, etc.), so here it is.

Has anybody ever removed their trailer brake switch? If so, what are the issues/drawbacks? Will the BCM get mad and throw a code (or worse)? I bought the truck 'pre-owned' and it's equipped with the towing package, which is cool... but I honestly can't ever see needing trailer brakes... ever. It's a 1500, after all - the biggest thing I'll ever tow with it is a car hauler with a single vehicle, to which my 2012 1500 Lonestar RWD did the same thing famously, sans trailer brakes.

I'm thinking of replacing the brake switch with a blank panel so I can install a bass knob (gain control for the amp) without punching a random stray hole through the dash board (would look like crap, and then I'm stuck with a gain knob in a random place). My 2012 had a useless coin tray in the perfect spot, but the 5th Gen dashboards are more fluidly designed with fewer such spaces - the unwanted/unneeded trailer brake switch is that perfect spot, IMHO.

The 'mute' button would be perfect as well, except that I use it a LOT (when approaching the gate for ID checks, in the drive-thru, et al), and I'm sure it's hard-wired to the circuit board behind the panel (I'm assuming).

I've also thought about putting it to the lower right of the start button, but it's not very conveniently located, and I don't want to run the risk of accidentally shutting the truck off while adjusting the bass on a bumpy road (for instance).

One other idea I have is to do 'something' with the blank 'nub' next to the traction control switch.

Thoughts?

cu-14.jpg
Sorry for the crappy pic - it's one from the online ad, but gets the point across.

Users who are viewing this thread