5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer brake control for 2021 1500 Limited

Nonseven

Reaction score
OK, so I want to buy this 2021 Limited at my local dealer. I’ve got one trailer to pull that will be heavy enough I need brake control. Of course, the standard Limited comes equipped to tow, but this vehicle does not have the trailer tow group $995 option, which includes brake control plus trailer light check, trailer tire monitoring, and reverse steering assistance. Not sure I need those other options. I tow only occasionally.

I would think I can have my dealer install brake control only. I’m wondering if I should do that, or hold out for the tow group option. I don’t think it’s like it was in 2019, where you lose the 360 heated mirrors with that tow group, because those are now separate options.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OK, so I want to buy this 2021 Limited at my local dealer. I’ve got one trailer to pull that will be heavy enough I need brake control. Of course, the standard Limited comes equipped to tow, but this vehicle does not have the trailer tow group $995 option, which includes brake control plus trailer light check, trailer tire monitoring, and reverse steering assistance. Not sure I need those other options. I tow only occasionally.

I would think I can have my dealer install brake control only. I’m wondering if I should do that, or hold out for the tow group option. I don’t think it’s like it was in 2019, where you lose the 360 heated mirrors with that tow group, because those are now separate options.
You can add a brake controller (non OEM) but it will not show up on your display. You can add an OEM but it needs to be flashed. Some people were not happy (size, no heat-I believe) with the tow mirrors when they got the tow package. That as you say may have changed.
There are a few threads on this topic if you are looking for more opinions and to find the history.

MeyerzRam

Reaction score
The one I found had this feature but it's really overkill. Having a knob because you don't know how to back a trailer is a little wierd. On my 2019 I used the AlfaOBD software and bought the controller kit for $120. Very easy to do.
295cf899d662f0226e8bdbde8de1606f.jpg

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Have the dealer throw in the brake controller. The rest of the tow package is gimmicks that are not required. Beware though the payload of your limited will be really low so if you’re towing over 5,000lbs and want to use the bed or have passengers with you, you will likely over your payload and max GVWR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread