5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Backup Camera/Cargo Camera

Santa

Reaction score
I am trying to use the cargo camera on my 1500 for a trailer backup camera. I accessed the cargo camera with a Tazer DT. The video works just fine until I put the truck into reverse then the video display defaults from the Cargo camera (trailer backup camera) to the truck‘s backup camera.
Any ideas how to access the cargo camera (trailer backup camera) while in reverse?

john94si

Reaction score
First what cargo cam are you using and do you have a write up on how you installed it and what you connected it to?

magyoi

Reaction score
I’d be interested to know this as well. Cargo cam not being available has been my biggest complaint with my limited.

Santa

Reaction score
With the Tazer DT and a video input cable I was able to access the cargo camera icon. I tested the video input on the cargo camera input with a DVD player. The DVD played on my center screen just fine (I am assuming a camera would work also) until I put the truck into reverse. The screen seems to ALWAYS default to the backup camera. I wanted to hook up the backup camera that is on my trailer to the cargo camera video input. Unfortunately with the truck in reverse all I see is the front of my trailer.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
A few others are noodling this as well (including me)...

CNC_Geek

Reaction score
With the Tazer DT and a video input cable I was able to access the cargo camera icon. I tested the video input on the cargo camera input with a DVD player. The DVD played on my center screen just fine (I am assuming a camera would work also) until I put the truck into reverse. The screen seems to ALWAYS default to the backup camera. I wanted to hook up the backup camera that is on my trailer to the cargo camera video input. Unfortunately with the truck in reverse all I see is the front of my trailer.
Were you able to place your own video input (camera or DVD) onto your 8.4" screen? I have purchased the Tazer DT and wiring harness but have yet to see my video in this screen.

Santa

Reaction score
I have the 12” screen. I am not sure where to hook up the video wiring harness on the 8.4” screen. You may need to reverse the wires or try another input.

Jpduffy2882

Reaction score
I have the 12” screen. I am not sure where to hook up the video wiring harness on the 8.4” screen. You may need to reverse the wires or try another input.
Where did you find the cargo video input for the 12" screen?

Berk

Reaction score
I am also wondering where you physically connected your video source - in this case the DVD player. Do you have a wiring harness adapter, did you find the right pins, or was it one of the coax ports on the brain unit for the 12”? Somewhere else?

Mikejones11

Reaction score
I am also wondering where you physically connected your video source - in this case the DVD player. Do you have a wiring harness adapter, did you find the right pins, or was it one of the coax ports on the brain unit for the 12”? Somewhere else?
A lot of people have done this. Try searching front camera. I did it and I think it’s pins 21 and 22 on the connector. I will have to say mine is just video input and no audio. I got the input adapter from tazer. I also have the 12 inch screen.

Users who are viewing this thread