5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trading before warranty expires?

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
As I close in on 30k miles I am starting to seriously consider trading my truck before I lose bumper to bumper coverage or go much pass the coverage expiring. I have had a number of "software" related issues and the truck will be going back in Tuesday to have some more updates/reprogramming done. There seems to be a link between both my radio and cruise control randomly not working together or individually. It has not bothered me much at this point (except for the one 6 hour drive I had without cruise) because everything from the various radio issues to the cruise control not working has been covered under warranty and the service work has usually been performed when I'm in for general maintenance anyways (oil change, tire rotations, or recall work). My question really is, has anyone had similar computer/software issues outside of the warranty period? If so, how did your dealer handle it? My biggest fear is having to spend money on a one year old truck at say 40k miles to buy a new CPU or Uconnect radio unit. Fear of the unknown as much as anything.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I close in on 30k miles I am starting to seriously consider trading my truck before I lose bumper to bumper coverage or go much pass the coverage expiring. I have had a number of "software" related issues and the truck will be going back in Tuesday to have some more updates/reprogramming done. There seems to be a link between both my radio and cruise control randomly not working together or individually. It has not bothered me much at this point (except for the one 6 hour drive I had without cruise) because everything from the various radio issues to the cruise control not working has been covered under warranty and the service work has usually been performed when I'm in for general maintenance anyways (oil change, tire rotations, or recall work). My question really is, has anyone had similar computer/software issues outside of the warranty period? If so, how did your dealer handle it? My biggest fear is having to spend money on a one year old truck at say 40k miles to buy a new CPU or Uconnect radio unit. Fear of the unknown as much as anything.
Hmmm. For that kind of driving and those concerns you might have considered (and maybe still, if available) getting the extended warranty if it covers software and things like that. That would be cheaper than trading in the vehicle. Beyond that, since everything is going computer and electronics this will only get more involved in the future rather than less.

RJS

Reaction score
With the miles you drive, I'll guess that it would cost a pretty penny to trade yours. One option would be to get the extended Mopar warranty that would cover your truck like the original B2B warranty.

You should be able to get to 100,000 miles for $2000 or so depending on the deductible you chose.

Once you reach 36,000 miles I'll bet you would have issues getting repair made. You could argue they started under the original B2B warranty but that's a crap shoot at best.

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
I plan to look into an extended warranty, but then again I am looking at all my options. It is my opinion that electronics and software becomes somewhat of a grey area with my dealer. I will give them credit that they are doing everything possible to try and resolve the issue. The advisor did mention a nav software issue they are encountering but do not have a software patch to correct it yet. That concerns me a little if they know of issues but can't fix them. Luckily I have not had any Nav issues yet.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I plan to look into an extended warranty, but then again I am looking at all my options. It is my opinion that electronics and software becomes somewhat of a grey area with my dealer. I will give them credit that they are doing everything possible to try and resolve the issue. The advisor did mention a nav software issue they are encountering but do not have a software patch to correct it yet. That concerns me a little if they know of issues but can't fix them. Luckily I have not had any Nav issues yet.
They have been talking about this mythical software update that was due to drop in Q4 2019 since the beginning of the year. It's very concerning that it's taking so long to fix issues...

Users who are viewing this thread