5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traded my 19 Longhorn for a.......19 Longhorn (sweet deal)

btimdavis55

Reaction score
Well, I bought my Delmonico Red Longhorn back in December. Had a December build date so I thought I'd be safe. Replaced the front sway bar, had to have the firewall leak fixed, and did all the recalls. My dealer had taken care of everything so no complaints other than the aggravation. I had also replaced the Falkens with Toyo ATII's after the Falkens got pieces of steel in them and couldn't be fixed. We went on a two week road trip to Utah, no problems at all and thoroughly enjoyed our trip and the comfort of the Ram. Just short of 4K miles and averaged 20.4 MPG. Before I left, the leather on the dashboard bubbled up so they were going to replace the dash when I returned. While on vacation the dealer sent me an email about how I was in position to participate in a vehicle exchange program where they would buy back or trade my truck for more than the book value. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Right. So the day after we got back I went to the dealer to schedule my dash replacement. Then I walked into the sales office, showed them the email and asked if they were actually serious. Turns out they were. So I left with a new Longhorn, Patriot Blue for $1k less than what I owed on the one I traded. First time I've ever been stunned (in a good way) by a dealer offer. While I had begun to bond with the first one, I'd have to say I think I love this one even more and subjectively it just feels better than the first one. The build date is March of this year so maybe they are finally getting it right. This new one does not have the pano sunroof or the ORP. I could care less about a sunroof and other than a dirt road here or there the ORP doesn't mean that much to me either. Plus it's quieter. And I could swear the A/C works better too though I didn't really have complaints about the first one. And oh by the way, they swapped over my Toyo ATII's, mud flaps and tonneau cover. While the Delmonico Red is a beautiful color and I wouldn't have had a problem getting another one I really, really love the Patriot Blue. Just thought I'd share my story, apparently they are making some crazy good deals out there.

Attachments

• IMG_2434.JPG
    IMG_2434.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 141

acat

Reaction score
I got close to 20 (19.77) on a trip to Florida this week, avg 75 MHP.
Had I kept it at 65-70, I would have gotten >21 easily. Those are the only times though. My city numbers stink since my commute is <1 mile, w/o any fwys.
On highways my truck rocks the MPG :cool:
half-half city and hwy commute in total of 20 mins single trip, 3.21, no e-torque, shows only 16 mpg;)

btimdavis55

Reaction score
I got close to 20 (19.77) on a trip to Florida this week, avg 75 MHP.
Had I kept it at 65-70, I would have gotten >21 easily. Those are the only times though. My city numbers stink since my commute is <1 mile, w/o any fwys.
On highways my truck rocks the MPG :cool:
I hear ya. My city driving averages about 14.5

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I hear ya. My city driving averages about 14.5
That's actually not bad.
I feel lucky if I get >10 in town. Usually it sits around 8.5-9.5, but I really don't care. I still fill up once every three weeks or so, so no biggie.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate to be the guy to ask numbers but could you post numbers. ;)

You said $1k less than what you owed. So you do have have to take in account how many payments you've made. I assume you've made 6 payments, say around $600-700 each? With no ORG or Pano, those options aren't cheap so your starting sticker price has to be considered and then I also assume you've reset the clock on your payments.

I'm not calling you on the carpet so to speak, I'm happy that you got into a new vehicle you're happy with but there is more to the story with the numbers. The reason I ask is that I know Ram is offering up to 25% off right now, understanding your numbers vs. a reader's current situation could be a catalyst to making some current members happy repeaters.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score

You said $1k less than what you owed. So you do have have to take in account how many payments you've made. I assume you've made 6 payments, say around $600-700 each? With no ORG or Pano, those options aren't cheap so your starting sticker price has to be considered and then I also assume you've reset the clock on your payments.

I'm not calling you on the carpet so to speak, I'm happy that you got into a new vehicle you're happy with but there is more to the story with the numbers. The reason I ask is that I know Ram is offering up to 25% off right now, understanding your numbers vs. a reader's current situation could be a catalyst to making some current members happy repeaters.
TEMPTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TEMPTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol. I'd literally get the same exact model, color and options. There is one thing I wish I did different, leased instead of bought. I am a month away from 1 year of ownership and I just turned 9k on the ODO the other day. While I have enjoyed carrying alot of equity deal to deal, I am a habitual 3-4 year trader. Maybe it's time to do a lease, take the equity and put it into something more productive.

btimdavis55

Reaction score

I had only made 3 payments as I financed through Chrysler Financial at 0% and they delayed the first payment for 90 days. I have no doubt they worked the numbers but as I said I walked out financing $1K less than what I currently owed. I did lose the 0% to maximize the rebate and yes I reset the clock on the payments. But since I didn't quite trust the first truck given the issues I'd had I thought it was well worth the deal to swap a truck with just under 10K miles for one with only 25. The first stickered for $65.7K, this one stickered for $64.2K. As I mentioned earlier I really don't care to have a sunroof and the ORP definitely isn't something I need either. Now let's just hope I don't run into any issues as I had before. :)

btimdavis55

Reaction score
Lol. I'd literally get the same exact model, color and options. There is one thing I wish I did different, leased instead of bought. I am a month away from 1 year of ownership and I just turned 9k on the ODO the other day. While I have enjoyed carrying alot of equity deal to deal, I am a habitual 3-4 year trader. Maybe it's time to do a lease, take the equity and put it into something more productive.
I would have been fine going with another Delmonico Red but for some reason this dealer has been putting lift kits and big tires on their Longhorns and I just don't want that. But as I said, I love the Patriot Blue.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Congratulations!! My favorite color on the truck for sure.

Why didn’t you like the Faulkens? I love them and I pay particular attention to tires as the roads where I live are rubbish

I have the ORP and I get 18.5-19 around town and 20-24hwy

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had only made 3 payments as I financed through Chrysler Financial at 0% and they delayed the first payment for 90 days. I have no doubt they worked the numbers but as I said I walked out financing $1K less than what I currently owed. I did lose the 0% to maximize the rebate and yes I reset the clock on the payments. But since I didn't quite trust the first truck given the issues I'd had I thought it was well worth the deal to swap a truck with just under 10K miles for one with only 25. The first stickered for $65.7K, this one stickered for $64.2K. As I mentioned earlier I really don't care to have a sunroof and the ORP definitely isn't something I need either. Now let's just hope I don't run into any issues as I had before. :)

Good luck, I hope it's a trouble free vehicle for you. In summary, you made 3 payments +500 for the option / purchase price imbalance. For how long you used the original, that's a wash. Good job!

btimdavis55

Reaction score
Congratulations!! My favorite color on the truck for sure.

Why didn’t you like the Faulkens? I love them and I pay particular attention to tires as the roads where I live are rubbish

I have the ORP and I get 18.5-19 around town and 20-24hwy
Wasn't that I didn't like the Falkens but I got a piece of metal in one of them and it couldn't be repaired so I used that as an excuse to get the Toyo's. The Falkens certainly rode very well but I do like the Toyo's better.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal for you man. Maybe it was the financing that incentivized the dealership (as well as moving another vehicle) but I am glad you are happy.

Users who are viewing this thread