5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trade value

Rayzram

Reaction score
I have been offered a LOT more trade for my 2019 with 25K miles at competing dealers than at Ram dealers. I have had my Ram almost 2 years and I am ready to put all the issues with it behind me and hope for a better truck. I have faced more trips to the dealer then I care to with multiple unresolved concerns that have been there literally since the day I drove it home. Really just over it, like my Ram aside from the issues, but not opposed to looking at other brands based on trade value being placed on my current Ram by others (Chevy) to be specific. Basically looking for honest feedback on how Ram seems to place such a low value on my truck while others are hitting it North of 8K more.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you've just started looking since COVID hit, trade values have taken massive hits at most dealers. You will really have to work to get what it's worth due the car market being dead in the water right now. Best bet is getting a written deal from another dealer/brand as you mentioned on one of their vehicles, then go back to RAM and say you want the trade value matched or you'll just go with the competition.

Raminit

Reaction score
I have been offered a LOT more trade for my 2019 with 25K miles at competing dealers than at Ram dealers. I have had my Ram almost 2 years and I am ready to put all the issues with it behind me and hope for a better truck. I have faced more trips to the dealer then I care to with multiple unresolved concerns that have been there literally since the day I drove it home. Really just over it, like my Ram aside from the issues, but not opposed to looking at other brands based on trade value being placed on my current Ram by others (Chevy) to be specific. Basically looking for honest feedback on how Ram seems to place such a low value on my truck while others are hitting it North of 8K more.

1. Truecar.com
2. Carmax, or a couple of car buying services.
Get a written offer to buy your truck even if you don’t buy from them.

I was in the Car Business for over 25 years. When I couldn’t make a deal based on the trade value I would advise people to take their cars to Carmax to get an unbiased value for their vehicles. Carmax would appraise the car and give you a written offer to buy the car with no strings attached. They pay off loans or leases, if they were less than the value the customer would keep the di the loan amount or lease amount was more the customer would have the option to pay the difference.

Take your printed written offer to any brand you like and negotiate from there.

Truecar.com was usually the most aggressive pricing on New Vehicles.

I don’t want to hurt your feelings but if your trade in value isn’t close at all the dealers you visit regardless of the brand they’re playing games with you.

Do research before walking into the dealer you choose. Find someone that’s willing to do everything over the phone and in writing over the internet through emails

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got out of my 2019 for the same reasons you are entertaining. Trading or selling a 2019, you already know you are going to take a beating. I paid about $43k for my 2019 and received a little over $30k as trade. So it was a $13k hit after a little over a year of ownership. Grasp the numbers and see if it is worth it for you. For me, it was and I don’t look back with exception of visiting the forum a couple times a week. :). Still good people here and I still like the Ram, I just hated my Ram. :)

I used Carvana and Vroom for online pricing and visited Carsense locally to get a great understanding of what I could get for my Ram. Carvana and Vroom were about $1k lower than what Carsense offered locally so I was set to use Carsense.

I made a deal on my new vehicle with no trade in and no intent to even entertain a trade deal. When my deal was in place with my new vehicle they asked if they could have a shot at pricing my Ram as a straight out buy, I said sure. Without any knowledge of my offer from Carsense, they ended up at $100 less than Carsense. Since I could make both transactions at the same time and it made my life easier, I let them buy it separately.

Barney556180

Reaction score
You should try Carvana. We sold a car to them about two months ago. Very smooth transaction and they paid a third more than estimated from Kelly and Edmonds.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had some life changes recently and really needed to make a decision pretty quick on what will be my last truck for a long time (work promotion and retirement plan). In the last 30 days I looked at Chevy and GMC’s , F150’s, Tundras and 2020 Rams. While I sympathize with anyone that has had a multitude of problems with their 5th gen Rams I honestly have to say that the competition really does not compare to the new Rams at this time. The GMC/Chevy dashes are horrible, the technology and screens are garbage. Near impossible to accept their interior as 2020 technology. The F-150 and Tundra are both also very outdated and not without outstanding issues. I know Ford and Toyota are both due for redesigns in the next 24 months but I couldn’t wait that long and also fear what the first year models will face in redesign TSB’s and headaches. It’s crazy to think that Ram FCA are so far ahead of the rest in technology and design.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got out of my 2019 for the same reasons you are entertaining. Trading or selling a 2019, you already know you are going to take a beating. I paid about $43k for my 2019 and received a little over $30k as trade. So it was a $13k hit after a little over a year of ownership. Grasp the numbers and see if it is worth it for you. For me, it was and I don’t look back with exception of visiting the forum a couple times a week. :). Still good people here and I still like the Ram, I just hated my Ram. :)

I used Carvana and Vroom for online pricing and visited Carsense locally to get a great understanding of what I could get for my Ram. Carvana and Vroom were about $1k lower than what Carsense offered locally so I was set to use Carsense.

I made a deal on my new vehicle with no trade in and no intent to even entertain a trade deal. When my deal was in place with my new vehicle they asked if they could have a shot at pricing my Ram as a straight out buy, I said sure. Without any knowledge of my offer from Carsense, they ended up at $100 less than Carsense. Since I could make both transactions at the same time and it made my life easier, I let them buy it separately.
What did you end up getting ?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did you end up getting ?

I went the small route with a 2020 Toyota Tacoma Limited. Kids are older now and I don’t need the room like I use to. I had a few of them before the kids in the 90s, early 00s and loved them. Can’t tell you how nice it is to zip around and not have to worry about being ding‘d parking. I don’t think think I’ll ever go back to full size at this point in my life unless I buy a large salt boat. For now, it handles my 3k Deep V really nice.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went the small route with a 2020 Toyota Tacoma Limited. Kids are older now and I don’t need the room like I use to. I had a few of them before the kids in the 90s, early 00s and loved them. Can’t tell you how nice it is to zip around and not have to worry about being ding‘d parking. I don’t think think I’ll ever go back to full size at this point in my life unless I buy a large salt boat. For now, it handles my 3k Deep V really nice.
My wife and I just looked at Tacomas recently and were stunned at the price of those trucks. Many were well north of $40k it was hilarious! I get they are solid dependable trucks, but they are outdated AF.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife and I just looked at Tacomas recently and were stunned at the price of those trucks. Many were well north of $40k it was hilarious! I get they are solid dependable trucks, but they are outdated AF.

When I started looking into them I was sticker shocked! Especially when I started getting actual pricing. A good deal off sticker is 10%. A great deal is 12% and 13% is the Unicorn deal. That was hard to “sink in” because I was use to getting 20% + off sticker on the last 4 full size American trucks I bought.

There is a silver lining though. They hold their values so well that they are cheap to lease, as a matter of fact, they are rated as the top vehicle to lease because of retained value. You could lease two Tacoma Limited trucks for nearly the same lease price as 1 Ram Limited truck.

The dated thing is actually what pushed me back to them. Like Ford, they are “old reliable” but I didn’t look at Ford as I wanted to go mid-size and their mid-sized trucks in America are still too “Beta” which is exactly how I feel about the 5th gen. Ram. Us who bought 5th gens., especially the early ones were all made to be beta testers as they didn’t fully test their new design nor train their techs on how to diagnose and repair the short-falls.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I started looking into them I was sticker shocked! Especially when I started getting actual pricing. A good deal off sticker is 10%. A great deal is 12% and 13% is the Unicorn deal. That was hard to “sink in” because I was use to getting 20% + off sticker on the last 4 full size American trucks I bought.

There is a silver lining though. They hold their values so well that they are cheap to lease, as a matter of fact, they are rated as the top vehicle to lease because of retained value. You could lease two Tacoma Limited trucks for nearly the same lease price as 1 Ram Limited truck.

The dated thing is actually what pushed me back to them. Like Ford, they are “old reliable” but I didn’t look at Ford as I wanted to go mid-size and their mid-sized trucks in America are still too “Beta” which is exactly how I feel about the 5th gen. Ram. Us who bought 5th gens., especially the early ones were all made to be beta testers as they didn’t fully test their new design nor train their techs on how to diagnose and repair the short-falls.
Glad you found something that you really like and are happy with! Best of luck with it.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I like the look of the Taco but I physically don’t fit in them or any mid size truck for that matter . If I want a truck it has to be full size .

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son has a Taco as do several friends of mine. They are good little pickups to run around the mountains in or tight two track roads but Jesus they will make you **** blood on rough roads! The ride is torturous and god help you if you end up riding in the back seat, that’s mid evil torture. Road trips are not very enjoyable either. Last year we were elk hunting and we had to drive a 8 mile stretch of steep rough washboard road to get on a plateau each day, we only made that trip one time in the Taco...after that I said I don’t care if I scratch my truck we are taking the ram, I can’t make that trip again in the taco.

Scram1500

Reaction score
It is unavoidable at two years in to not take a hit between depreciation and financing. The mileage is also high at 25k. Is the dealership familiar with the vehicle? They may have offered you a low value knowing it has gremlins

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son has a Taco as do several friends of mine. They are good little pickups to run around the mountains in or tight two track roads but Jesus they will make you **** blood on rough roads! The ride is torturous and god help you if you end up riding in the back seat, that’s mid evil torture. Road trips are not very enjoyable either. Last year we were elk hunting and we had to drive a 8 mile stretch of steep rough washboard road to get on a plateau each day, we only made that trip one time in the Taco...after that I said I don’t care if I scratch my truck we are taking the ram, I can’t make that trip again in the taco.

Depends what model you get, they all ride differently. The one time my Ram was in for service I took a walk over to the Toyota dealer next door and test drove an off road version. After a mile, I told the sales guy that this sucks and no way could I ever own one of these. He said you need to drive the sport model. Tried that, a little better but still not enough to get my interest and then he says, try the Limited. That rode very similar to the Ram. That began the process of me thinking about getting out of the Ram...

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Always be careful of higher trade in offers...typically means they are getting you on the new sale side.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends what model you get, they all ride differently. The one time my Ram was in for service I took a walk over to the Toyota dealer next door and test drove an off road version. After a mile, I told the sales guy that this sucks and no way could I ever own one of these. He said you need to drive the sport model. Tried that, a little better but still not enough to get my interest and then he says, try the Limited. That rode very similar to the Ram. That began the process of me thinking about getting out of the Ram...

Well as long as you are satisfied , your the only one that needs to be impressed with the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread