5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade up or buy out lease dilemma

HARDWATERFLYER

Reaction score
Check with your Insurance agent--new truck premiums may be higher and of course License fees are always higher on new trucks. Sounds like you enjoy the truck you have--keep it.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"A local dealer has told me they will give me 10 k more than I owe to trade for a 24"

Maybe I m not getting it, he has a $27k buyout and a dealer will give him $10K more after paying the buyout.
If that s the case, he can pocket the $10K and lease a new truck (making a good deal hopefully). He doesn t have to put that 10K into the lease payment figures.

He ll have to clarify what his options are I guess.
You don't necessarily have to put it towards the truck, but it would help the tax payments by lowering the overall cost of the vehicle. And obviously lowering the monthly payment too.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are offering $10k above by buyout, then use the equity towards the new truck as cash down
Yeah that makes sense, I guess I just meant from more of a process point of view. Are they making you buy out the vehicle, then paying you to trade it in? Or are they just buying out your lease without you having to do anything. The latter would be cleaner and make more sense, but I just wasn't sure if that was possible or legal.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense, I guess I just meant from more of a process point of view. Are they making you buy out the vehicle, then paying you to trade it in? Or are they just buying out your lease without you having to do anything. The latter would be cleaner and make more sense, but I just wasn't sure if that was possible or legal.
The dealer can most definitely buy out the lease. Would be no different of a process then you doing it yourself. As long as the leasing company gets paid they don't really care where the money comes from.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer can most definitely buy out the lease. Would be no different of a process then you doing it yourself. As long as the leasing company gets paid they don't really care where the money comes from.
That's what I was looking for. Thanks HSKR!

Davidbt

Reaction score
I test drove two different Laramie's, and I even though I realize its a nicer truck, with leather, 19 speakers and other toys, I can honestly say I like my 21 Bighorn better. I feel like the seats are more supportive, the way it drives and just over all like it better. Plus I would end up buying all new accessories, tonneau cover, bed rug, new E rated tires for towing, etc. I really appreciate the posts and opinions, especially those that state how I already know what I have, and it may be best to keep it. :)
This is what I'm thinking. I've thinking about trading for a left over Eco diesel. My 21' Big Horn is set up just the way I want it. I'd to go through the process all over again to get a newer truck to where mine is now. My truck is setting right at 25,000 miles and I haven't had any problems with it. And my truck will be paid for in three more years.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've ended all my leases woth the dealer paying off the lease - makes it super easy and they do all the paperwork a d cut you a check or give you credit on a new vehicle. The dealer usually gets the same buyout or sometimes a better deal than you do.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've ended all my leases woth the dealer paying off the lease - makes it super easy and they do all the paperwork a d cut you a check or give you credit on a new vehicle. The dealer usually gets the same buyout or sometimes a better deal than you do.
That makes sense, thank you. I did some looking at a chevy / gmc dealer to see what they would give me for a buyout and then a deal on a new truck. First of all, the prices were eyewatering, but they told me since I was so close to my lease end that they didn't know if they would be able to do a trade in on it or not. I left the guy my card and told him to run me some numbers on new trucks. He called me an hour later with prices and said they could trade in my lease, but they wouldn't be able to give me any extra equity from it. Seemed like a bunch of bull to me. Conservatively figuring from KBB, I assumed I stood to make 3-4k in equity. On the low end. The whole thing gave me a bad taste, and I think I'll end up just buying out for now.

Bubba1120

Reaction score
Update - today took a complete 180 turn from what I posted before. I went to different local dealer who offered me the same deal on a brand new Laramie. I forgot to mention the one I was looking at was a loaner with 3500 miles.

i test drive the new truck (40 miles on it) and could not walk away. I ended up trading, have a new lease and a payment that is a lot lower than buying it.
night Edition
advanced safety grp
bed utility grp
level b pkg
33 gal tank
3:92 gears
trailer brakes

thanks for the replies, I went back and forth till I got a whiff of the new truck smell.

Users who are viewing this thread