5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade-in question when dealing with out of state dealers

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my RAM 6/18 from Mark Dodge. I'm in the metro Atlanta Ga area. So I'll be traveling to Lake Charles (667 miles) when it comes in. I know several members here have driven their trade-in to pick up their new truck. My question is, how and when is the actual trade-in value determined? I have a 2011 GMC Sierra now that I can sell locally or trade-in. So will a dealer give a firm offer without inspecting the vehicle? I would rather drive the GMC to Lake Charles instead of flying. But, I do not want to drive the GMC all the way out there and then the value changes....I'm sure Mark Dodge doesn't operate that way but I just don't know how the process works. (I haven't asked/bothered Aaron yet since it will be a while before I make the trip). Thanks

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
I think it depends on the dealer. Years ago I drove from Illinois to Florida and just sent them pictures and they ran a Carfax. They honored the price they quoted me over the phone. Some car dealers won't do that and require an in person evaluation.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my RAM 6/18 from Mark Dodge. I'm in the metro Atlanta Ga area. So I'll be traveling to Lake Charles (667 miles) when it comes in. I know several members here have driven their trade-in to pick up their new truck. My question is, how and when is the actual trade-in value determined? I have a 2011 GMC Sierra now that I can sell locally or trade-in. So will a dealer give a firm offer without inspecting the vehicle? I would rather drive the GMC to Lake Charles instead of flying. But, I do not want to drive the GMC all the way out there and then the value changes....I'm sure Mark Dodge doesn't operate that way but I just don't know how the process works. (I haven't asked/bothered Aaron yet since it will be a while before I make the trip). Thanks

Like most dealers now a days, just send some pictures and info and they will make an offer. I was going to drive mine down to trade in (also at mark dodge but 1500 miles away from me) but about 2 months into waiting for my order, my trade in value went up so much I ended up selling it to autonation a couple hours away from me. Wouldn't hurt to get offers from carvana/carmax/vroom/autonation etc as well just to see what the overall market is for your trade in. Only takes a couple of minutes and you will get an offer either instantly or within a half hour (in my experience).

Also, I got so much more from autonation than my original trade in value, that it more than made up for my additional taxes for not trading in, and more than covered having it delivered up to NY. Granted that was on a newer truck with probably a higher value, but it doesn't hurt to check the online buyers too!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was ordering my truck, Aaron took my VIN (and I emailed the window sticker) of my trade, and I emailed a bunch of pictures, even a video of the engine running. He gave me an offer which seemed reasonable. He based the offer on me putting X miles on it before he received it. He honored the offer when we arrived and it had 1500 fewer miles than he expected. I think they were happy with the vehicle. I even told him to call if he had any questions about it. They added $6K to the price now that it's on their lot.

Someone at the dealership got a brand new Tekonsha trailer brake controller that I didn't bother to remove and i left the Weathertec mats in it, simply because I couldn't fit them in the truck (no bed cover) for the trip home. We had too much stuff having come straight from a vacation with our two dogs.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like most dealers now a days, just send some pictures and info and they will make an offer. I was going to drive mine down to trade in (also at mark dodge but 1500 miles away from me) but about 2 months into waiting for my order, my trade in value went up so much I ended up selling it to autonation a couple hours away from me. Wouldn't hurt to get offers from carvana/carmax/vroom/autonation etc as well just to see what the overall market is for your trade in. Only takes a couple of minutes and you will get an offer either instantly or within a half hour (in my experience).

Also, I got so much more from autonation than my original trade in value, that it more than made up for my additional taxes for not trading in, and more than covered having it delivered up to NY. Granted that was on a newer truck with probably a higher value, but it doesn't hurt to check the online buyers too!
Thanks, I'm planning to go to several dealers and check out carmax as well. Sorta of unsure about carvana/vroom, heard some stories where payment was't made timely or price disputed. Really tempted to take advantage of the sellers market but don't want to be without a truck for another three months (or fly to Mark Dodge)! Will check out autonation.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm planning to go to several dealers and check out carmax as well. Sorta of unsure about carvana/vroom, heard some stories where payment was't made timely or price disputed. Really tempted to take advantage of the sellers market but don't want to be without a truck for another three months (or fly to Mark Dodge)! Will check out autonation.
I did the carmax route. It was painless.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the dealer that you are ordering your truck, if you trade it in with them, you can get a tax credit towards the new one. But I don't know how it works when you go farther away.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the dealer that you are ordering your truck, if you trade it in with them, you can get a tax credit towards the new one. But I don't know how it works when you go farther away.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)
Yes, I would have a Georgia TAVT (Title Ad Valorem Tax) savings of 6.6% of the trade in value. So I have to take that into account when evaluating trade-in vs outright sale. There will be no tax included in the dealer amount, I'll have to settle up with Georgia when I go to get Tag/Title.

Users who are viewing this thread