5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade in a '22 for a '20?

Spokes

Reaction score
What's up everyone, happy Monday.
I have the opportunity to trade in my '22 bighorn (26k miles) for a '20 build to service edition in ceramic grey (25k miles) and the bigger cab. Other than the Uconnect 4 Vs 5, if there anything else really to consider/worry about? The truck does have the common cracked rear glass/frame issue, but that will be repaired under warranty before I would take delivery. Any input is much apparated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 69479280033__0E16F0E2-3ADD-4C04-8B35-2C5F5C885905.JPG
    69479280033__0E16F0E2-3ADD-4C04-8B35-2C5F5C885905.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 97

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you're unhappy with your '22 or are having issues with it then by all means do it. You didn't mention anything about the financial aspect of this so I'm assuming that's not an issue for you. If it makes sense financially, it's worth it to get the truck you'll be happier with.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
since both trucks are from the same Gen, and there shouldn't be any sales tax implications, or very little, and the 20 is still under Drive train warranty....get what you want, take it from an old Marine, there's no guarantee of tomorrow, life IS short!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious... what does tthe'20 have that your '22 doesn't?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
He said in his original post. It's got the Built to Serve Edition package, is a crew cab instead of quad cab, and I'm assuming a color he prefers. If you're not familiar with what the BTS edition package is, feel free to search on that. Here's just one link for the 2020 models...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What's up everyone, happy Monday.
I have the opportunity to trade in my '22 bighorn (26k miles) for a '20 build to service edition in ceramic grey (25k miles) and the bigger cab. Other than the Uconnect 4 Vs 5, if there anything else really to consider/worry about? The truck does have the common cracked rear glass/frame issue, but that will be repaired under warranty before I would take delivery. Any input is much apparated! Thanks!
I have had very few issues with my 2020 Built to Serve in ceramic Gray. Although I'm about to take it back to dealer for the second time now due to a leaking passenger side valve cover. It's not bad but a film of oil in valve cover from one of the coil pack plug holes. Have had it replaced previously for same issue in the same spot.

Other than that, ai had a run in the factory paint that got corrected and my battery died once in the first 6 months and wouldn't take a charge. Once I got it jump started and to dealer, it charged fine and hasn't had a problem since.

Spokes

Reaction score
If you're unhappy with your '22 or are having issues with it then by all means do it. You didn't mention anything about the financial aspect of this so I'm assuming that's not an issue for you. If it makes sense financially, it's worth it to get the truck you'll be happier with.
No issues at all with my '22. Have 26k miles on it and love it, just wish I got the bigger cab.
Bigger cab, ORG suspension, LED lights, bed group.. really about it.
He said in his original post. It's got the Built to Serve Edition package, is a crew cab instead of quad cab, and I'm assuming a color he prefers. If you're not familiar with what the BTS edition package is, feel free to search on that. Here's just one link for the 2020 models...
Correct, just want the bigger cab. BTS has lots of nice options and the color is rare for BTS.
If financial is not a problem, and it were me, I’d order a 2023 knowing what I didn’t want in the present 2022.
'23 come with e-torque, I don't want ET. Also, cant get a BTS edition in '23 in this color. This is kinda one of those right time right place kinda deals if the numbers make sense.

Mind you this truck is a 2020 and has less miles than my 2022 LOL

Mr.Grid

Reaction score

'23 come with e-torque, I don't want ET.
I agree with you not wanting the eTorque. I didn’t want it either when looking for new 2021 and that’s all that remained on the lots in late August 2021. Glad I ordered a 2022 and got it the way I wanted. They also include eTorque in the V6 for 2023. What a shame.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with you not wanting the eTorque. I didn’t want it either when looking for new 2021 and that’s all that remained on the lots in late August 2021. Glad I ordered a 2022 and got it the way I wanted. They also include eTorque in the V6 for 2023. What a shame.
AFAIK there has never been an option for a non-etorque v6 on 5th gens.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somebody was wanting rid of that truck. Order a new one now the way want it without buying a reject.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
AFAIK there has never been an option for a non-etorque v6 on 5th gens.
OMG….. in 2022 and prior if you can’t afford/ want a non-eTorque V8, so you get stuck with this 60+# contraption in a V6….Geezee ..lol. The new EV model will improve mpg for sure….lmao

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Every 5th gen ram with a V6 has been etorque

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somebody was wanting rid of that truck. Order a new one now the way want it without buying a reject.
Not necessarily.... some just trade often. And with crazy high trade values a lot more have been...

Spokes

Reaction score
Truck doesn't seem to be an issue truck. The dealership I work with knows the truck/previous owner. I am very good friends with the dealership so if it was a troubled truck they would inform me. Thanks tho!!
The days of crazy high trade-in values has ended. There will be a lot of 19/20 trucks coming off lease over the next 6-12 months that will flood the used truck market.
Yes agreed, that's how I ended up in my '22. They are asking 40k for this truck so the price is very fair, the issue is used car rates are trash so that is the big MEH about it all LOL

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not necessarily.... some just trade often. And with crazy high trade values a lot more have been...
It might not have unknown issues. Would I be willing to gamble on that, nope. Especially when I currently own a truck with no issues.
I know by trading in, that is a convenient way to get rid of a truck you would not feel right, out right selling to someone.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It might not have unknown issues. Would I be willing to gamble on that, nope. Especially when I currently own a truck with no issues.
I know by trading in, that is a convenient way to get rid of a truck you would not feel right, out right selling to someone.
Typically a truck with issues will have many dealer visits showing on their carfax...

I traded at 2yrs/60k miles before I switched back to a company car....those that bought my old trucks got gems.

To the OP - if the deal is right do it and don't look back!

Users who are viewing this thread