5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS - New Wheels and tires.. Not learning new TPMS?

tank216

Reaction score
I thought that I read somewhere that the 19 is using a new sensor setup...did you put new sensors in the replacement wheels?

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/tpms-valves-on-used-tires.1677/

https://www.cjponyparts.com/mopar-t...e-stem-type-dodge-ram-1500-2019/p/68293199AA/

Complete newbie question here (sorry for my ignorance):

Just got a 2019 Laramie Sport with 20” x 9” wheels with 275/55R20 OWL tires. I want to swap the wheels out for some black ones.

Could I buy these (are they compatible?):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-DODGE-R...ELS-RIMS-FACTORY-OEM-SET-4-2019-/202252632675

plus the TPMS sensors from your CJponyparts link

plus black lug nuts

Is that all I would need to get these swapped out or am I missing some other parts? Would Ram dealers be willing to do this w/ parts purchased elsewhere or would I have to find a private auto shop?

Thanks in advance for the help!

WyattS42

Reaction score
Looking at that link I don’t see why all of those things you listed wouldn’t work. Not sure if a dealership would do that or not. I’d imagine they would. You could probably call and ask in advance.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Complete newbie question here (sorry for my ignorance):

Just got a 2019 Laramie Sport with 20” x 9” wheels with 275/55R20 OWL tires. I want to swap the wheels out for some black ones.

Could I buy these (are they compatible?):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-DODGE-R...ELS-RIMS-FACTORY-OEM-SET-4-2019-/202252632675

plus the TPMS sensors from your CJponyparts link

plus black lug nuts

Is that all I would need to get these swapped out or am I missing some other parts? Would Ram dealers be willing to do this w/ parts purchased elsewhere or would I have to find a private auto shop?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Looking at the link you sent that is an exchange program where you send them your wheels in return and total cost is $800. It would probably be cheaper to just have your wheels powder coated so you could save the shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tank216

Reaction score
Looking at that link I don’t see why all of those things you listed wouldn’t work. Not sure if a dealership would do that or not. I’d imagine they would. You could probably call and ask in advance.

Looking at the link you sent that is an exchange program where you send them your wheels in return and total cost is $800. It would probably be cheaper to just have your wheels powder coated so you could save the shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help and advice!

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's nice. On the GM trucks you need a special tool to register each TPMS sensor to the truck when swapping wheels, every time I'd swap wheel sets meant another trip down my to my tire guy to get the sensors registered. You also need the tool when rotating tires to tell it which sensor is on which corner otherwise it still thinks the sensor is in the original location. Every time I come across something on this Ram it just reaffirms jumping ship from GM was the right decision.

This is designed deliberately to bring you into the shop to pay service $... another strike against GM.

Believe it or not, there is no regulated or standardized requirement for how the TPMS functions other than reporting pressure and meeting FCC requirements to not interact with TPMS on other nearby vehicles.

Each OEM is free to develop their TPMS to be auto-recognized, like RAM, or not, like GM. Kudos to Ram for putting customer convenience first and not turning this into a baloney revenue stream.

Users who are viewing this thread