5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyota Corolla beat my Ram?? Sure did…In one aspect

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently rented a Toyota corolla during a trip to Florida. Despite it being a fairly low trim level it did have adaptive cruise and lane keep assist features. I was BLOWN AWAY at how much better the lane keep assist function worked in the Toyota Corolla versus my “expensive“ Ram Laramie. Unlike my truck, the Corolla made frequent but very small adjustments to keep the vehicle in the middle of the lane. Whereas, my truck ping-pongs from side to side between the lines until it eventually drifts over a line. On the one hand, I am disappointed in my trucks performance in that regard, on the other hand it is somewhat satisfying to know that there is better technology out there and is likely coming our way.
In the end, the truck is just slightly more useful and comfortable so I think I will keep it…;)

knightro84

Reaction score
The LaneSense function in our trucks doesn't make continual adjustments and is not programmed to keep you in the middle of your lane - that is what you, the human driver, are for. LaneSense only activates when you unintentionally drift our of your lane if no turn signal has been used or if you drift into the lane opposite that you've signaled for.

Edit: apparently Toyota has what is called "lane tracing assist" and this is likely what was active in your rental. This is something separate/different from their Lane Departure Alert system, which is similar to Ram's "LaneSense" system.
1644758771968.png

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That active lane-keeping slightly applies the front brake on whichever side the car needs to steer towards to keep centered. It's all fine and dandy until you're in certain situations, then it causes an issue. A great example of that was a '19 Accord I had as a commuter for 2 years. When there was a solid line very close to a jersey wall of a specific height, it would improperly calculate where the center of the lane was, and try to brake into the wall. I've had the same thing happen when driving my in-law's '20 Mercedes s63, but don't have any other examples of that happening.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lane Tracing...Lane Keeping...Doesnt matter to me. The Toyota system simply worked better, and that was somewhat disappointing when considering a vehicle with a $20K MSRP vs my 58K MSRP Laramie. I just hope RAM's technology goes the way of superior systems vs. sticking with older, mediocre systems. If Toyota can afford to inlcude it on a very basic Corolla....

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lane Tracing...Lane Keeping...Doesnt matter to me. The Toyota system simply worked better, and that was somewhat disappointing when considering a vehicle with a $20K MSRP vs my 58K MSRP Laramie. I just hope RAM's technology goes the way of superior systems vs. sticking with older, mediocre systems. If Toyota can afford to inlcude it on a very basic Corolla....
Sounds like a Corolla is in your future….

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Cars and suvs almost always have more features and tech. The new jeeps have a pretty good driver assist. But you’re paying that money to have a truck.

My cheaper Subaru has drivers assist that basically drives itself and was half the price of my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a Corolla is in your future….
:ROFLMAO: As soon as they offer a bed and 4WD...Oh wait...don't they call that a Tundra? In that case, no effing way. Love my Ram and have little to complain about...though that 39mpg was pleasant too.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Lane Keep Assist in my Honda Odyssey tends to be pretty freaking hard core. If the lines are well defined on a curvy off ramp, as an example, it'll hold the line perfectly. I know there are some settings that can be adjusted in uConnect. Do any of those make a difference?

If it makes you feel better, the ACC in Honda vehicles is pretty trash compare to FCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online