5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with the Off Road Package and Payload

Blackbark

Reaction score
Hello,

I was considering purchasing a 2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 with a 3.92 and Off Road package. I tow a 32 ft 7500lb travel trailer about 10-12 times yearly. I do not do any off road driving but the Off Road package does come with light truck tires in place of the passenger tires which I believe would be beneficial for towing. I wanted to know if anyone on the forum has any experience or insight towing with the 2019 Off Road package and could share their thoughts. I also wanted to know how much weight the Off Road package adds that would take away from the available payload.

Thanks
Dan

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

I was considering purchasing a 2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 with a 3.92 and Off Road package. I tow a 32 ft 7500lb travel trailer about 10-12 times yearly. I do not do any off road driving but the Off Road package does come with light truck tires in place of the passenger tires which I believe would be beneficial for towing. I wanted to know if anyone on the forum has any experience or insight towing with the 2019 Off Road package and could share their thoughts. I also wanted to know how much weight the Off Road package adds that would take away from the available payload.

Thanks
Dan

Note the Falken ORP tires are not LT. See here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/falken-oem-tires.741/

EDIT: this is for the 20". Not sure on the 18".

Last edited:

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks
Dan
I have the 19 1500 QC with the 3.92 and off road package. Any questions let me know. FYI I haven't towed yet though

Blackbark

Reaction score
Attached is the window sticker of the truck I am looking at. I looked at the off road package (119lbs) and 33 gallon fuel tank (73lbs)option weights Zeronet posted and it looks like it would reduce the payload approximately 200lbs so I am guessing that it would end up around 1550 lbs max. This may not be enough for me.

The window sticker does list LT275/65R18C for the tires.

Anyone have any experience towing with the LT tires vs the passenger tires?

Attachments

• 5DAB1574-8815-4172-AD39-E576940CE3D8.jpeg
    5DAB1574-8815-4172-AD39-E576940CE3D8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With a HD I would never tow without LT tires. The 1500 seem to be within the range of P rated.

My experience is that the P rated tend to roll under the wheel when loaded heavy.

I have been having this payload/towing discusion daily with myself.

I want a Rebel or a Powerwagon so bad...just don't have enough payload.

Been trying to figure how I can do it. The aggravating thing is...it probably will work 80% of the time...but it would be real close to capacity even then, and that bothers me.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are looking at the truck the tire and loading sticker (yellow and black) inside the driver door lists the available payload for that truck as optioned from the factory. No need to guess the payload numbers.

Oh and please take a picture of the sticker to share with us.

Last edited:

Blackbark

Reaction score
I don’t have a picture of the tire loading sticker but the dealership checked it and informed me it was 1562lbs. Unfortunately this won’t be enough payload for me. I wish they offered an option for just the LT Tires.

I can really relate to Devildodges comment about working 80% of the time but still bothers me to be that close to the max capacity.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have a picture of the tire loading sticker but the dealership checked it and informed me it was 1562lbs. Unfortunately this won’t be enough payload for me. I wish they offered an option for just the LT Tires.

I can really relate to Devildodges comment about working 80% of the time but still bothers me to be that close to the max capacity.
It is rough. I really want to get a new truck, and really wanted to downsize to a 1500, but it just isn't feasible.

Believe me, I am trying all ways I can think of it.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You could forego the off-road package and increase 100+lbs of payload (if that gets you to where you need to be) and then, with the money saved, just get a set of LT tires. They should give you something off on the new set for trading in the stock new tires.

What is your tongue weight and what payload do you plan to carry? A 7500 lb camper should be doable for a half ton.

Last edited:

secondfloor

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks
Dan

I have a 2019 1500 eTorque 5.7L Limited 4x4, 3.21 with Off-Road and the 33 gallon tank. I full-time travel with my 7500lb 27' Airstream. It tows great (so far...only 3K miles!), and drives smooth and solid - towing or not - with the Falken tires (20"). I get 13.5mpg towing. Payload is 1290, but there is only my wife and I, and I use a weight-distributing hitch to transfer an estimated 1/3 of the 900lb tongue weight back to the trailer's double axels. I think you would be fine with your travel trailer, but it depends somewhat on what your tongue weight is and if you are using a WD hitch :)

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a new 5th gen with off-road package. I haven’t tow’d yet but I haul a 8,000# fully loaded dump trailer and a 22’ enclosed car trailer that weighs about 7,500# with my car in it. I have hauled these for years flawlessly with my 2010 ram 1500, which currently has a 4” lift. Your truck will be fine. If you need you can always upgrade to an E series tire or add a rear air bag such as total load control (which I have). I haul about as many times as you do without issue. With that said though, if you do a lot of long distance hauling and end up doing it more often, I would consider a 2500.

Users who are viewing this thread