5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with TEKONSHA P2 PRODIGY and getting a "service traction control" message

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
I added a brake controller to my new-to-me 2020 RAM 1500. The trailer lights, brake lights, signal lights all work and the manual brake lever controls the trailer brakes fine. However, I'm getting a "service electronic stability control" while connected to my 4000lb travel trailer. Also, I drove around the block without the trailer, no warning lights, then I activated the manual brake lever, and the truck threw the warning message again. I pulled over, turn off/on the truck, the warning message went away.

The brake controller worked in my Nissan Frontier without a problem. Can I ignore the message, or turn off electronic stability control and keep towing?

Anyone with a similar problem? I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot and I have an upcoming camping trip. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
I used a pre-made wiring harness from Oyviny and plugged directly into the Ram harness and then the P2 Prodigy. And while it's an off-brand, the controller display lights work fine and show the gain settings. The Tekonsha wire harness was way too short. If the manual brake lever works, but causes a warning message, can I still tow, but not use the manual brake lever?

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a pre-made wiring harness from Oyviny and plugged directly into the Ram harness and then the P2 Prodigy. And while it's an off-brand, all the trailer lights work fine. The Tekonsha wire harness was way too short. If the manual brake lever works, but causes a warning message, can I still tow, but not use the manual brake lever?
Trailer lights are controled by the truck, the brake controller doesn't control the trailer lights. Any way to check for codes? I wouldn't tow unless I knew the Trailer brakes system was working properly

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
I ran my code scanner and there were no error codes, and the dashboard display shows "no new messages". I will not tow until I get this sorted, that's for sure. The only difference with the Frontier, other than different trucks, was the wiring harness from the Prodigy to the factory harness. Maybe if I use a Tekonsha branded wiring harness? I used a Tekonsha harness in my Frontier with no problems.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very interesting that no codes set when you have a service message on the dash. Is your scanner able to read abs codes? Some scanners can't get past the security module and read ABS info.

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
Oh, good question. I'll rerun the scanner tomorrow to determine if it can read abs codes. It's a low end scanner, so maybe not. But the dash definitely showed "no messages". I'll have to dig deeper tomorrow and see. Thank you for the input.

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
Yeah, my scanner does not do ABS/SRS. I reached out to Tekonsha tech support for their advice. I'm also going to try a Tekonsha branded wiring harness to replace the generic one. If that doesn't fix the issue I'm going to try a Curt Triflex Next brake controller with a Curt branded wiring harness. My thought is the Curt is a much newer brake controller and they say it's compatible with low-volt, PWM, ABS, and cruise control. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, my scanner does not do ABS/SRS. I reached out to Tekonsha tech support for their advice. I'm also going to try a Tekonsha branded wiring harness to replace the generic one. If that doesn't fix the issue I'm going to try a Curt Triflex Next brake controller with a Curt branded wiring harness. My thought is the Curt is a much newer brake controller and they say it's compatible with low-volt, PWM, ABS, and cruise control. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again.
I don't think it is a wiring harness issue. Everything is working properly until you apply the trailer brakes manually. I would look into the curt also. Any reason you don't want the factory/add on trailer brake?

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
The factory controller was my first choice, but it came down to cost and I already had the Tekonsha. If the new wiring harness doesn't work and If the Curt doesn't work, I'll return it and maybe go with the factory controller. I can install it myself, but I've read mixed reviews on whether a dealer is willing to flash the software, and the cost to do so. The Curt will arrive on Thursday and I'll install it and hope for the best.

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
I received the Curt brake controller and cable today so I removed the Tekonsha Prodigy and cable. Then I installed the Curt Triflex Next and their branded cable. And it works great with no error messages. I connected the trailer and set the gain and worked the manual brake lever. Additionally, the Curt is much smaller and fits nicely into the cubbie where the optional CD player would go. It blends well with the dash and looks unobtrusive. Also, the Triflex Next has a modern display, it looks like a brake controller made in the 2020s, unlike the chonky Tekonsha that looks like a 1998 brake controller. I have no idea why the Prodigy wasn't compatible with my particular RAM. Anyway, all good now with the Curt, and we're camping in two weeks. Hope this helps someone. Cheers.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received the Curt brake controller and cable today so I removed the Tekonsha Prodigy and cable. Then I installed the Curt Triflex Next and their branded cable. And it works great with no error messages. I connected the trailer and set the gain and worked the manual brake lever. Additionally, the Curt is much smaller and fits nicely into the cubbie where the optional CD player would go. It blends well with the dash and looks unobtrusive. Also, the Triflex Next has a modern display, it looks like a brake controller made in the 2020s, unlike the chonky Tekonsha that looks like a 1998 brake controller. I have no idea why the Prodigy wasn't compatible with my particular RAM. Anyway, all good now with the Curt, and we're camping in two weeks. Hope this helps someone. Cheers.
Only thing I could think of is how the brake switch works in the Ram, it's not just on off. I was wondering if the controller was backfiring the abs controller. IDK glad it worked out. Post a picture of the set up

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
Thanks, will do. The fact the Curt fits in that small cubbie is an unexpected win.(y)

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
Here's a pic on the fitment of the Curt Triflex in the cubby. I will dress the wires and route them through the back of the compartment once I've used the Curt on my next camping trip. There's nothing behind this spot so I should be able to cut a hole to accommodate the controller wiring.

Attachments

• 20231020_112531.jpg
    20231020_112531.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread