5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with a 2019 EcoDiesel

John J

Reaction score
I took a trip with my 2019 Ram Classic EcoDiesel 4x4 with 5:55 rear gears and a Tekonsha Brake Controller. The wife and I left on July 20 and returned on August 6th.We went to see the kids and grand kids. they live in up state NY, and we left from central Florida. the trip was a total of 3144 miles. We were towing a Coleman light camper. It is 32 feet long and has a dry weight of 6318 lbs. loaded with all of our stuff and 30 gallons of water about 7400 lbs. and a tong weight of 723 Lbs. we use a weight distributing hitch.
Our route took us up I 95 to I 73 to I 81 to I 84 finally to the NYS Thruway. We went through Blue Ridge Mts. the Application Mts. the Pocono, Catskill Mts and Adirondack Mts.
I was a little concerned about towing through the mountains with the EcoDiesel, I was surprised that we rarely dropped below 65MPH and never went above 3400 RPMs.
On the way back we ran into TS Debby, we had very little trouble, We left Florence SC just before the worst of storm hit and slowed down to around 60 all the way through SC and Georgia, the farther south the better the weather. According to the computer in the truck we averaged 12 MPG. I would not hesitate to take the camper any where. The EcoDiesel performed flawlessly.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I've thought about going back to the dark side. Last October we did a trip from South East Arizona to Jackson, Mississippi. On the way home we visited Carlsbad, Riudoso, and Albuquerque New Mexico. We did roughly 3500 miles and I averaged 10.5 mpg. I'm actually pretty happy with the way the 5.7 handled the trip with our 26' 5,500lb travel trailer. The 1500 does a pretty good if knows it's limits.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Glad it was a nice and calm trip. These little diesels sure are torquey! Every time I’ve had a trailer behind mine I’ve been very impressed with how well it handles the weight.

Users who are viewing this thread