5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with 22 inch wheels

PNW Guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Question for those towing with 22 inch wheels. Has anyone gone up in size for towing, i.e, switched to 285/50 22s? I have a limited with air suspension, and the OEMs are shot at 16K miles. I tow a TT that puts me right at my towing capacity limits when loaded with family and dog. And when I do tow, it is usually on 3-4K mile trips, several times a year. It seems that the larger sizes increase tire weights by at least 15lb per tire, but I am gaining increased tire strength. If the increased weight is not directly on the axles does it matter that much? Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Johnny_H

Reaction score
The OEMs are literally car tires. I’m amazed you got that many miles.

Any reputable brand not named Goodyear will be enough tire in OEM size. I’m running Conti Terraincontact HT. I have around 10,000km on them and pulled a 7000lb boat for probably 30-40% of that and am down barely over 1/32 from purchase. I expect to get around 50k on them. Maybe more, we will see. Best tire I’ve ever put on a truck (especially in winter).

I put Michelin LTX MS tires on my 2017 and found them to have similar grip but less comfort due to being a 10 ply. However they were tough as nails and were probably going to get around 80-100k on them before needing replacement. Those were on 20 inch wheels though so not sure how they would behave on the 5th gen suspension and 22s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
NASCAR only gets about 100 miles per tire.

Grippy tires and long lasting tires do not belong in the same sentence.

Several good thread on tires depending on your application can be found using the search engine with Michelin, Firestone, Continental and / or Goodyear.

bpwj76

Reaction score

Any reputable brand not named Goodyear will be enough tire in OEM size. I’m running Conti Terraincontact HT. I have around 10,000km on them and pulled a 7000lb boat for probably 30-40% of that and am down barely over 1/32 from purchase. I expect to get around 50k on them. Maybe more, we will see. Best tire I’ve ever put on a truck (especially in winter).

I put Michelin LTX MS tires on my 2017 and found them to have similar grip but less comfort due to being a 10 ply. However they were tough as nails and were probably going to get around 80-100k on them before needing replacement. Those were on 20 inch wheels though so not sure how they would behave on the 5th gen suspension and 22s.

I'm glad I stumbled upon your post. I am contemplating my next tire purchase, because the stock Bridgestone Alenza tires are way too mushy for towing heavy. I tow a 7,000lb travel trailer and I was hoping those Terraincontact H/T's with XL load rating would be a good compromise between towing stability and ride comfort. I don't want to go up to an E rated tire as my truck is my daily driver.

PNW Guy

Reaction score

Thanks for the input. Glad to hear that it's a Goodyear thing and not a tire size issue.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Glad my opinion helps. I really feel the Contis have no trade off, except maybe tread life as they certainly won’t last as long as my previous Michelins. But the ride is as comfortable or more than the OEM, they’re less squishy and handle better on wet, dry, mid and snow. And if you want something a bit more aggressive the AT version looks even better and doesn’t give much up in the way of grip and comfort either.

285/45/R22 Continental Terrain Contact AT - Stock 22'' Replacement
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...placement.15984/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Users who are viewing this thread