5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Trip computer doesn't work with 4 pin trailer!

Rich

Reaction score
I'll still try to report it to the dealer.

Maybe a tab can fix it if a few of us report it?

slimchance

Reaction score
i did NOT say it showed miles towed with the 4 pin connector .... it only showed miles towed when hooked to the 7 pin trailer .... it showed the length for lane change with the 4 pin trailer and the length for lane change with the 7 pin trailer

slimchance

Reaction score
yes it looks like you have to have brakes to get the mileage recorded ... i think the load on the brakes module starts the mileage function .... also, this record IF kept by the truck could document how you use your truck for warrenty claims

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand it that you do have to have 7 pin with trailer brakes to track it. But I thought @Ramit392 explained how to do it with electric light...but now i am not so sure he did.

Hopefully we can clear this up as it never really got settled the last time.
I could not get the
I understand it that you do have to have 7 pin with trailer brakes to track it. But I thought @Ramit392 explained how to do it with electric light...but now i am not so sure he did.

Hopefully we can clear this up as it never really got settled the last time.

The 4 pin will not record mileage it works only on the 7 pin. I tested both. I keep separate odometer on each trailer with out 7 pin.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The towing trip computer does not know a 4 pin trailer is connected!

I had my first chance to try towing when I went to pick up my sled and I connected a light snowmobile trailer (4 pin connector), so I thought I'd try to see how the towing trip computer worked as I never had that option before now.

But the towing trip distance computer didn't show any elapsed time, nor distance.

I would expect the trailer to be detected and also the rear park sense to be disabled.

How does the truck know it's towing something if not by the electrical connection? I tried the tow mode off and on and it didn't make any difference. The manual doesn't say much about how to enable tow mode for the trip computer.

Our Ford Escape knows when a 4 pin trailer is connected. It will disable the rear park alert, and will even warn you if a trailer lamp fails, or the connector unseats during a trip (connector falls out while in drive or reverse).

I tried searching here also with no luck.

Thanks for any help!

Edited: It seems only a 7 pin trailer with brakes will work. The manual makes no reference to how this should work.

Trailer selection screen in setup should allow for a trailer with no brakes and have these features function properly.

I have not been aware rear park view will disable. You can use a 4 pin adapter to make your 4 Pin a 7 pin,but not sure if that will work for mileage computer or not. If you an adapter laying around you might want to try plug it in see if its successful.I have not tried it yet but thought I would on next pontoon haul.

grinch72

Reaction score
How do you even get to the towing trip computer? I have yet to two but I'd like to know how to get to this functionality.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
its in your evic go to the little buttons on your steering wheel to trailers and you can access in the main menu from your touch screen

Users who are viewing this thread