5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing tire pressure

Usma36

Reaction score
I have a 19 1500 I have bf goodrich t/a 275/65r18 load range E tires. I’m trying to figure out ideal weight for towing about 6000lb camper. That’s the loaded weight with fam in truck and water in the tank. Should I drop it down to weight on door when I’m not towing?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I tow my rear tires are always at the max cold tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire. With Load Range E tires that should be 80 psi.

My last truck was a 3/4 ton diesel so I would put the fronts at max cold psi also since I had 4400 lbs on the front axle. That's a bit much for the front of a 1/2 ton gas truck I'd probably set them in the high 60's if not 70 psi. The higher pressure makes for a stiffer tire and less sqirm in the tire for better control of the load IMO.

I'm not sure what you door sticker is telling you the psi should be but it's definitely not for an E-rated tire if you have a Big Horn. I ran low 60's for tire pressure unload in my last truck and adjust pressures based on tire wear. I'm not a fan of bulging tires so I'm pretty sure I ran them higher than most.

Lower tire pressures also means lower load capacity. Even at 60 psi the load capacity is under 3000 lbs.

Not to be take as gospel but here's a load chart to give you an idea of how much you tire capacity goes down as you drop running pressure in your tires (page 23):

Attachments

• Tire Load Tables_Toyo.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 26

Usma36

Reaction score
The door says 35 psi which was for stock tires. For the life of me I callus the find a max cold psi on the side wall. If I read your message right I should be at 60 all around with no load and 80 on the rear 70 on the front with a load

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I read your message right I should be at 60 all around with no load and 80 on the rear 70 on the front with a load
Yes. "Should" is a strong word as anything less than max cold tire pressure is going to be a personal preference but, if I was running E-rated tires on my truck, that's where I would have my pressures set at.

On the sidewall there should be something that says MAX LOAD XXXX lbs at XX psi cold. It will be small but it will be there. There might be two different load ratings based on whether you are using the tire as a single (which you are) or a dual.

Others may chime in with lower numbers but that's where I ran my E-rated tires at on my last truck. I prefer higher pressures to maintain elevated load capacity, keep the sidewalls a little stiffer (better stability and response while driving), and minimize the bulge on the tires.

Tomamsco

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for tire pressure.Pulling a 7000 TT.

Attachments

• 37F80D43-4EF1-442E-A2C5-28D4F5E7C1A7.jpeg
    37F80D43-4EF1-442E-A2C5-28D4F5E7C1A7.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online