5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing sway

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are many sway threads here, and I've commented in some.

25 years ago I bought an Impala SS with 275/40 tires and was towing my small jet boat. All of a sudden, the whole thing went into a wild sway that took full concentration to get under control. Slowed way down, got off the truck-rutted asphalt expressway, checked for flats, and continued home on surface streets. Didn't think much of it, but I happened to follow my wife driving the car over very rough Michigan frost heaved pavement. The whole axle assy was wildly bouncing around, including side to side. It struck me what the problem was, so I ordered Energy Suspension bushings. Problem solved, completely.

Towed an empty 25' toyhauler with a sliding weight/sway bar type hitch this weekend, and next. Couldn't go over 50-55 without sway. OEM 18" C-range tires at 50PSI, Sumosprings with spacer. I've contacted Energy and Prothane, but got no response, for a kit to be picked. Might have to just pick the parts ourselves and post the part numbers here. Core 4x4 makes all 5 complete replacement links in I think 3 different upgrade levels, so you can pick those as well ($$$). It might be equal $ to have the replacement urethane installed? I need to look into it.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this isn't an Impala, but I was thinking trackbar bushings (along with appropriately stiff tires) might be a sufficient upgrade for most of us...

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this isn't an Impala, but I was thinking trackbar bushings (along with appropriately stiff tires) might be a sufficient upgrade for most of us...
Hey, yeah, that sounds like a good idea!

1659456005975.png

:giggle:

The Impala, as well as the G bodies, all have angled 4 link suspensions similar to the Ram, and, relevantly, rubber bushings.

jgmac98

Reaction score
I've got a 5,500 lb trailer (28 ft) behind my 2022 Ram 1500 with a Blue Ox WDH. I pulled the same trailer for years with a 2012 Ford FX4 without issue. First pull with the Ram was not enjoyable. Got home, checked weights/hitch height and all were as they should be. Upgraded the rear sway bar to the Helwig, and upped the tire pressure to 48 psi (tire max is 50 psi). These "small" changes made a world of difference towing. Even my wife can feel the difference. I'll drop the tire pressure back down to 40 psi when we're not pulling the trailer to make the ride a bit softer.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The last tow of a 7000lb trailer was actually pretty good. I don’t know if the sumo’s settled in or what, but only a second of sway in 40 miles. My sumo’s are squished 1/4” at rest unloaded, which they aren’t supposed to be. I used the spacer on an ORP. OEM tires at 50psi. I sold my Equalizer with the last TT, so I might spring for the Weigh Safe insta-adjust WDH.

Users who are viewing this thread