5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Speed Limit

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We became a Good Sam Member a couple weeks ago and recieved a book showing campgrounds, dealers, discounts and some trailer rules.

The info varis greatly by state but I will be talking about Pennsylvania.

So it seems in a few states that trailers must be towed at a speed limit of 55 mph.

Also, Uhaul trailers have this speed limit posted on the fender when you look in the mirror.

So as I contemplate my next truck, I have decided against another diesel, as the only time it really benefits is in the going faster department. Most of our trips we avoid highways, so the usual speed limit is 45.

Now, knowing this...no need for a diesel at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on this.

The big thing I notice besides people hauling what seems to be something to large for their truck is that everyone wants to run 75mph.

I usually tow at 65 on interstates, but they recently raised our speed limit to 70.

But, should I just be towing at 55?

jkempken

Reaction score
I tow my Mud Jeep with my 2016 1500 at 70-75 MPH, need to watch the engine temps at this speed, get about 10 MPH with the HEMI and 3.21 gears. I also frequently tow my 2 place sled trailer at 70-75 MPH. This is all normally in Wisconsin, Illinois, Upper Michigan, and Indiana.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have towed boats at 60-70mph easily. Never any problems. I have seen others in my state of WI towing all sorts of things at 70mph+ on the highway. I have never heard of a law or seen any towing law enforced either.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have towed boats at 60-70mph easily. Never any problems. I have seen others in my state of WI towing all sorts of things at 70mph+ on the highway. I have never heard of a law or seen any towing law enforced either.
I thought the same thing. We are planning a trip to North Carolina, I got a trip in the works to Roadkill Nights (happening now) in a year or twould and we want to get one of those state maps and color some states with them.

Well, we got this RVers guide and I was quite shocked that their are very different rules from state to state.

I have towed my camper well into the 70's and never had an issue, but I like to stay at 65...but know I have to consider a 55 mph max...Guess my back road trip planning may become every time

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Which is why I try to stay at 65. My rips into the 70's is usually passing someone who isn't able to maintain a constant speed...and also why I move alittle further to the right when I see someone who is going over 65 towing

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The video from Edmunds reviewing the Ram towing an airstream does mention the towing speed limit of 55 mph.

Casull

Reaction score
In the states I've been through (mostly eastern) if there is a differential, it's usually 5 mph (i.e. speed limit 70, vehicles with trailers 65).

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on the weather, road conditions, and how heavy I have the trailer loaded down. ..but, given good conditions, I usually am the guy sitting in the far right, or second to right lane, putting along at or slightly above the speed limit.

Trailer tire speed ratings are done at full tire load, and I always make sure I have more tire than trailer.. so I'm sure there is plenty of cushion for me to run at the speeds / weights I run.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on the weather, road conditions, and how heavy I have the trailer loaded down. ..but, given good conditions, I usually am the guy sitting in the far right, or second to right lane, putting along at or slightly above the speed limit.

Trailer tire speed ratings are done at full tire load, and I always make sure I have more tire than trailer.. so I'm sure there is plenty of cushion for me to run at the speeds / weights I run.

This.

No china-bomb tires, stable trailer load, keep up with traffic, don't block the left lane.

Users who are viewing this thread