5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing spec's

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Where can I find the cargo and towing spec's for my particular truck? I took a quick glance at the owners manual but I didnt find anything as I was pressed for time. I know the GVW placard in stuck in the door jam but I'm looking for tongue and towing weights. If the numbers are in the manual I'll rifle through it when I get more time.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following, because yeah, the load capacity is in the door jamb and easy to find, but so far understanding the towing capacity is a pain to find out. So far until I find something more concrete I’m just going with what’s left of my load must be 10% of my towing.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Max combined weight; 13,900 with 3.21, 17,000 with 3.92. Max tongue weight is based on the hitch from what I have found. A class 4 being 1100 lbs.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This link will give you some info based on your specific VIN: Towing Lookup by VIN

Keep in mind that anything you have added to the vehicle, yourself included, will take away from those numbers.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Take Cargo carrying capacity (CCC) from yellow driver C pillar sticker, subtract driver and passenger weights, any added accessory weight, random stuff weight, anything in the bed and your leftover CCC will dictate max tongue weight, which is not to exceed 1100lbs for a weight distribution hitch or 500lbs for a standard hitch.

For most travel trailers tongue weight will be 12-13% of loaded weight of trailer, any flat deck will vary from 10-15% depending on load placement.

The Vin lookup on ramtrucks.com will give you both payload and the fictional max trailer weight, which can’t be achieved without ignoring physics. Realistically most moderately optioned (excluding Laramie, longhorn and limited) ram 1500’s can safely tow a trailer in the 8500lb max loaded weight range. Comfortably theses trucks max out around the 7500-8000lb range. For the well optioned trucks, Laramie, longhorn, limited or a highly optioned rebel the CCC is likely low 1300lbs or as far down as high 900lbs so towing should max at about 6500lbs.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I forget the exact number but I researched my truck stock and I found that taking into account GCVW and the available payload to handle the hitch weight, my max was about 11,000lbs with the truck itself empty besides me in the drivers seat.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I just realized the 1100lb hitch rating you posted. That’s going to be the limiting factor before you get to max GCWR or payload on almost every truck

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
@devildodge says it all the time; you'll max payload before getting close to the max tow number
Absolutely you’ll max payload first, but I didn’t know the actual hitch receiver was rated for so little. Then how can Ram legally say the truck can tow (let’s say 12k) when it only has an 1100lb hitch rating?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Absolutely you’ll max payload first, but I didn’t know the actual hitch receiver was rated for so little. Then how can Ram legally say the truck can tow (let’s say 12k) when it only has an 1100lb hitch rating?

Many boat/utility trailers can have < 10 % tongue weight. If your 12K trailer has 8 or 9 percent TW then you're within spec.

Users who are viewing this thread