5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing - Should I ?

Esilliman

Reaction score
So, I have researched a lot on this forum and the more I read the more I question not if I can, but if I should tow a:

32’ travel trailer
700 lb hitch weight
5795 lb dry weight
7600 lb gross weight

Tow vehicle:
2020 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 5.7 hemi w eTorque w the 3.21 gear
Max payload 1655
Max tow 8120

Debating on if this camper would be too large to comfortably tow with my truck. I realize I will need a weight distribution hitch, possibly sway bars. My truck does not currently have tow brake and I have XL tires. Will LT load range E tires be necessary for this camper? Any help is appreciated.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Can your truck pull that trailer loaded? Probably. Should you pull it? IMO, no! You have a number of things working against you here. The first is the weight of the trailer, a 32' trailer is a lot for a 1500, though tis one is on the lighter side for the size. Then there is the 3.21 gears, which will make the truck work that much harder. Once you load the trailer, truck bed, add yourself, family, dogs, any accessories you have added, etc.., you will likely be over the payload, and maybe even skirting the max towing capacity.

My brother towed his 32' camper exactly 3 times with his 2020 RAM 1500 before he upgraded to a 2500 because his truck simply wasn't safe with that load. He felt like even with WD hitch and sway bars, he did not have great control and was constantly concerned about stopping.

I tow a 24' Camper, have 3.92 gears, >11,000lb towing capacity, and 1750lb payload and I still have to be very careful not to exceed my max payload when towing it.

All that said, without real world numbers (from scales with the truck and trailer loaded), it is hard to say whether you should tow it or not. If you decide to go that route, you WILL want a quality weight distribution hitch that is properly set up.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, I have researched a lot on this forum and the more I read the more I question not if I can, but if I should tow a:

32’ travel trailer
700 lb hitch weight
5795 lb dry weight
7600 lb gross weight

Tow vehicle:
Max payload 1655
Max tow 8120

Debating on if this camper would be too large to comfortably tow with my truck. I realize I will need a weight distribution hitch, possibly sway bars. My truck does not currently have tow brake and I have XL tires. Will LT load range E tires be necessary for this camper? Any help is appreciated.
Sounds like a job for a 2500 imo

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

32’ travel trailer
700 lb hitch weight
5795 lb dry weight
7600 lb gross weight

Tow vehicle:
Max payload 1655
Max tow 8120

Read the door sticker to see what the recommended weights are. You may be at the upper limits when loaded. I see them come into our RV park with similar trailer setups and 150/1500 pickups,. and they say they tow fine.
First question, are you an experienced tower?
Second question, is it properly set up with WDH and sway control?
The second can be adjusted and fixed, but the first is problematic. If you are a newbie to towing, start shorter. That is a lot of trailer swinging in the wind behind you, and a small problem with sway can turn into a big problem fast. Remember, big balls and speed will kill you and anyone else in your way.
If you are new to the game, start short, tow slow, and get some experience under your belt. I tow heavy, but have the prober setup, and have been at it for over 50 years.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I strongly urge you get the trailer brake controller done before towing that trailer.

That said, you left out a pretty important bit of info ... where are you towing? If your out in Western US dealing with the mountains, your going to be wishing you probably picked a different truck. If you are out more in flat lands with minimal elevation change, you are likely going to get where you need to go and back again but don't expect to be getting there fast :)

Esilliman

Reaction score
I will not be towing through any mountains.

I want to add that the travel trailer 32’ is the overall length of this trailer specifically the cabin size is 27’.

Also not a lot of mention about needing 8 or 10 ply LT tires, is this not a concern amount TT hauling of this size?

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
Since you're asking for guidance and opinions: I would not want to tow that close to the capacity limits of the truck. It would still be a white-knuckle experience even with the right hitch setup and trailer brake.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Lot of good advice here, but it's on the conservative side. Just remember, lots of complete idiots tow insane stuff with their trucks and never even think to ask the question. Trailer brake controller is a must, everything else seems OK to me, XL load rating "should" be good.

netshadoe

Reaction score
Your biggest limitation that I'd be concerned with the combination you're giving us is your GCWR which is most likely 13900lbs with the 1500 with 3.21 gearing with the crew cab and 4x4.

Once you start loading up your truck with an empty weight from your numbers of 5445 lbs (7100 GVWR -1655 payload), you'll soon be near your GCWR.

Truck empty = 5445lbs
WD Hitch = 75-100 lbs
Driver+passengers = ? Let's use 350 lbs to be conservative - don't take it as an insult, I don't know your size or that of your significant other!! :) Do you have dog(s), kids, etc? Then add them to this number
Weight of trailer tongue = 700lbs (this depends on how your trailer is loaded)
Anything in the bed?
Truck loaded = 6595 lbs with empty bed and numbers shown above.

Using that number -> 13900 GCWR - 6595 Loaded Truck leaves you with 1510lbs (subtract a further 5795lbs for that empty trailer) you can put in your trailer before exceeding that 13900 lbs GCWR.

So, even though you can theoretically load your trailer to 7600 lbs, your truck could only legitimately pull it loaded to about 7000 lbs

Also, is that 32' box length trailer, or did you add the extra 3-4 feet the hitch and bumper add (35-36' overall length). If you're getting that long, you'll have the tail wagging the dog issues in any breeze or turbulence by any transport truck - anti-sway hitches can only do so much. (edit - I just saw your reply - still a long trailer for the weight of this truck IMO)

I have a 7000lb GVWR / 26' overall length trailer, with the same combo as you have (3.21, 4x4, crew cab) and would not go bigger with this size truck.

Good luck with your search and decision. My only advice is follow your head and not your heart. And be safe on the roads! :)

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will not be towing through any mountains.

I want to add that the travel trailer 32’ is the overall length of this trailer specifically the cabin size is 27’.

Also not a lot of mention about needing 8 or 10 ply LT tires, is this not a concern amount TT hauling of this size?
I went to a LT tire on the truck, and 10 ply on the trailer. The stiffer sidewalls really make a huge difference, especially in any corner or quick lane change.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I hadn't towed anything in like 15yrs and vowed to stay under 30ft. I have 3.92s, put E-Rated (Vredestein Pinza) tires, WDH, helper bags, and am considering the Tuson Sway control module (for the camper). I have only towed about 130miles so far but the truck barely notices the trailer is back there. I just figured better safe than sorry. My neighbor I think went a little overkill. They picked up a 33ft trailer with a 900lb hitch weight (he does have a tradesman but still). 4 Kids, a dog and V6? I don't think they're going to enjoy towing that very far. Not to mention they said they'd have to tow it dry based on his towing capacity.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hadn't towed anything in like 15yrs and vowed to stay under 30ft. I have 3.92s, put E-Rated (Vredestein Pinza) tires, WDH, helper bags, and am considering the Tuson Sway control module (for the camper). I have only towed about 130miles so far but the truck barely notices the trailer is back there. I just figured better safe than sorry. My neighbor I think went a little overkill. They picked up a 33ft trailer with a 900lb hitch weight (he does have a tradesman but still). 4 Kids, a dog and V6? I don't think they're going to enjoy towing that very far. Not to mention they said they'd have to tow it dry based on his towing capacity.
I have no idea why, but my truck is only given 1545 lbs payload. I wouldn’t have minded getting more from the tradesman. Going with sumosprings this week and probably E tires before winter.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I have no idea why, but my truck is only given 1545 lbs payload. I wouldn’t have minded getting more from the tradesman. Going with sumosprings this week and probably E tires before winter.
I don't know what his payload is but I imagine it's pretty high, hes got the full? cab (do they still call the smaller 4 door a full?). I wouldn't be surprised if his is close to full payload but even with that having probably 1100+lbs tongue and then adding 4 kids might be cutting it close if not over. I will say the E tires on mine made a big difference. I fill them to 55-60psi and they're great. I am getting a second set of wheels/tires because they are a little stiff when not towing. 1545 does seem a bit low for the tradesman I think my dad's fairly optioned bighorn has about that.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know what his payload is but I imagine it's pretty high, hes got the full? cab (do they still call the smaller 4 door a full?). I wouldn't be surprised if his is close to full payload but even with that having probably 1100+lbs tongue and then adding 4 kids might be cutting it close if not over. I will say the E tires on mine made a big difference. I fill them to 55-60psi and they're great. I am getting a second set of wheels/tires because they are a little stiff when not towing. 1545 does seem a bit low for the tradesman I think my dad's fairly optioned bighorn has about that.
My Limited is 1585, but only 2wd

fishslayer

Reaction score
with trailer brake control and weight distribution/sway control hitch, I see no problem.. you have 395 HP... Everyone runs from 3.21 gears.. you are not towing in 8th gear . 7th is exactly the same as 8th with 3.92.. you have manual gear selector. use it I tow much more than your camper.. no issues

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

32’ travel trailer
700 lb hitch weight
5795 lb dry weight
7600 lb gross weight

Tow vehicle:
Max payload 1655
Max tow 8120

I see a lot of people at campgrounds and on the highways all over the country. There is no shortage of people who are towing things they shouldn't be towing, and even things their vehicle can't safely handle.

Since you asked if you should and if it would be a comfortable tow, I'd say no. Your truck isn't properly equipped to tow something that size. Sure, it could, but not comfortably and maybe not even safely.

Users who are viewing this thread