5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing sag

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am still undecided with what to go with, Airlift 1000HD or Timbren. I've used Airlift 1000 on my 2015 before and they were great but not sure I want to go that route on my 2020.
I had the Airlift 1000 kit (before they released the 1000HD), and it developed a leak after a year. Poor customer service pushed me to the Timber Groves. I'm glad it did, they are great build quality, and its supporting a small business. After I bought my 2020 with the air suspension, I sold them.

If the Air Lift 1000 kit works as its intended, you have to air it up before you load up. If you do it after, it won't help with sag or load at all.
With the Timbren kit, you can air them up before or after, doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Pertzbro

Reaction score
Honestly I'd try Timbrens before anything, cheap, quick, easy. WDH is probably a good idea for safety reasons. Secondly I'd look at heavier rear springs. ORP springs or the aftermarket ones. Lastly I'd go airbags. Depends how often you're towing or loading the rear up. For my 4 times a year I pull a 7,000lbs tri-toon, timbrens are enough and dont really affect the normal ride any. Nothing to break.

Last edited:

Oldphart

Reaction score
You must use a weight distribution hitch, once set up, you will have the trailer and truck level.
Best way to set up your truck and trailer is:
Put your trailer level (and on level ground)
Measure the height of your trailer hitch, usually around 20”
Put your unloaded truck on level ground
Install the weight distribution hitch on your truck and measure the height, it should be the same height as your trailer. Hopefully you have a hitch that is adjustable.
Best if your truck and trailer is loaded, full fresh water, propane, battery and gear, ready for your trip.
Attach your truck to the trailer and crank up the tongue jack 3 or 4 inches up, attach the distribution bars, lower the tongue jack, your truck and trailer should be level, if it sits too high, or sit too low, crank up your jack again and adjust the distribution bars according.
Happy trailering.
This.....I tow a 24' Jayco that is about 6,800 loaded. The dealer set it up so the trailer and truck are both dead level when using the proper chain link and hitch height; took him about one hour of various adjustments....I glad I watched what he did as there is no way I would have had the patience to do this from scratch. Tows perfectly. Haven't taken it to a scale yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread