5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing sag

Rhondatheram

Reaction score
I was getting ready for a recent trip and hooked up 25ft travel trailer got unusual a amount of sag.
Is there a way to correct this without adding airbags? Is this amount of sag normal?

Attachments

• C6863AE2-2719-4248-9389-FBB7EE6C98BC.jpeg
    C6863AE2-2719-4248-9389-FBB7EE6C98BC.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 216

Rhondatheram

Reaction score
Time to take it a scale. I suspect the tongue weight is too high. How much extra gear do you have crammed in that front storage compartment?
There 2 beach chairs. And additional items in the master bedroom in the front half.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a weight distribution hitch? Extra stuff loaded in the bed?
I would concur with him, must be awfully heavy on the hitch weight.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rhondatheram

Reaction score
Do you have a weight distribution hitch? Extra stuff loaded in the bed?
I would concur with him, must be awfully heavy on the hitch weight.

No additional * items in the front bedroom just mattress and bedding. I was gonna pick up a weigh safe hitch to see how much weight was actually on the tongue

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What have you pulled this trailer with previously? Or is it new to you?

What's the gvwr, and what is the manufacturers hitch weight?

Rhondatheram

Reaction score
What have you pulled this trailer with previously? Or is it new to you?

What's the gvwr, and what is the manufacturers hitch weight?

This is a new trailer to me. Their website has the hitch weight at 8000. The shipping weight is 6240

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm. Ok.
Just FYI, the hitch weight is over that with mattress, propane, battery etc. As they typically state an as shipped hitch weight.
Is there any water/liquid in the tanks? If they're in front of the axles then that would add significant hitch weight if full.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Get some air lift helper bags that fit into the springs. Simply add air to a certain psi when hauling. Cheapest and they work quite well.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you using a weight distributing hitch? Certainly doesn't look it, I've seen far larger trailers hooked up with much less sag.

Rhondatheram

Reaction score
Are you using a weight distributing hitch? Certainly doesn't look it, I've seen far larger trailers hooked up with much less sag.
No i don’t have one yet, it is a new set up and still getting it situated. Just wasn’t expecting the sag with the tow rating of this vehicle

silver billet

Reaction score
Get some air lift helper bags that fit into the springs. Simply add air to a certain psi when hauling. Cheapest and they work quite well.
He needs to move the weight from the back to the front or he's going to have problems steering. Air bags don't do that. That front end is sitting way to high as is. Again, doesn't look like a WDH is in use or properly set up.

silver billet

Reaction score
No i don’t have one yet, it is a new set up and still getting it situated. Just wasn’t expecting the sag with the tow rating of this vehicle

Fair enough. I'd say don't worry about the sag for now (but obviously don't drive it as is either!), I would get a WDH and take a look at it after that.

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Yup that’s what I did , I pull my car and trailer all the time truck doesn’t even squat . Worth every penny

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Either way, these trucks suck with weight in the back and not having leaf springs. I regularly haul a few hundred or more pounds daily. It gets bouncy on bumps with curves. Feels unsafe at times with how much it will bounce around. Just my two sense. Hauled my boat all summer which weighed about 4000 lbs with trailer. The tongue weight was enough to make me unhappy without at least these helper bags. Minimum I’d say.

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Either way, these trucks suck with weight in the back and not having leaf springs. I regularly haul a few hundred or more pounds daily. It gets bouncy on bumps with curves. Feels unsafe at times with how much it will bounce around. Just my two sense. Hauled my boat all summer which weighed about 4000 lbs with trailer. The tongue weight was enough to make me unhappy without at least these helper bags. Minimum I’d say.
Yup I went with just the air lift 1000 kit , bag slides right inside the spring, at first honestly I didn’t think it was going to do much , best purchase I could of made for towing hands down . Air it up , hook the trailer up and the truck doesn’t even squat a inch . Roughly 5,400 pounds car+trailer .

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ha if you want a case of sag with a 5th gen, go over to the rv.net travel trailer forum, grab some popcorn and read the 4 pages on this one: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30171489/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Here's the opening post: (11/2020)
"Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 with the etourqe along with a 3.92 rear. Specs on the truck says it has a 1681lb payload and can tow up to 11500 lbs. Looking into purchasing a 2021 Grand Design 3250BH. Dry weight on the rig is 8450lbs and hitch weight is 850lbs. Am I crazy for trying to tow something this big? The numbers seem to be in line with what the truck is rated for." (Bolding is mine)

1613173266854.png

Note this is a 37' (36'11") travel trailer, the dry weight is listed as 8450#. Now we all are aware that it's the loaded (wet) weight that is realistic so add, well at least 1500#... That makes it 10K. Specs on the manufacturers web page say: UVW: 8496 lbs,
GVWR10195 lbs

The weight police went ballistic on this one. The back and forth was amusing. Don't forget to read page 4 for an interesting defense of 1/2 tons...

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Ha if you want a case of sag with a 5th gen, go over to the rv.net travel trailer forum, grab some popcorn and read the 4 pages on this one: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30171489/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Here's the opening post: (11/2020)
"Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 with the etourqe along with a 3.92 rear. Specs on the truck says it has a 1681lb payload and can tow up to 11500 lbs. Looking into purchasing a 2021 Grand Design 3250BH. Dry weight on the rig is 8450lbs and hitch weight is 850lbs. Am I crazy for trying to tow something this big? The numbers seem to be in line with what the truck is rated for." (Bolding is mine)

View attachment 82671

Note this is a 37' (36'11") travel trailer, the dry weight is listed as 8450#. Now we all are aware that it's the loaded (wet) weight that is realistic so add, well at least 1500#... That makes it 10K. Specs on the manufacturers web page say: UVW: 8496 lbs,
GVWR10195 lbs

The weight police went ballistic on this one. The back and forth was amusing. Don't forget to read page 4 for an interesting defense of 1/2 tons...
This makes me so happy. I been needing some good reading.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It actually ends up with the defender of the 1500 pointing out that the ET 3.92 geared hemi 8 speed can pretty much tow any TT. What's lacking is the payload and overall "heft" or weight of the truck so that it doesn't get pushed around by the heavy trailer. That's something that happens to every 150/1500 regardless of make.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/