5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing report with Mopar Ram Airflow

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did my first tow after installing the Ram Airflow intake and wanted to report my experience. Prior to this run I have over 3500 miles of towing with this truck/trailer combo so I am very familiar with what to expect under various conditions. See my signature for truck/trailer particulars.

This was a 130 mile trip each way, taken 9 days apart. Each way consisted of 42 miles of interstate, 40 miles of rural highway and the remaining miles were suburban roads with plenty of traffic lights. Some rain and cross winds on the outbound trip. Good conditions on the return trip but heavier traffic. I tow 65 on the interstate and run 5 over the speed limit everywhere else. I don’t use cruise control when towing and only use tow/haul when in hilly/mountain areas.

My impressions:

No real difference noted in acceleration from a stop. Acceleration is always adequate with this rig and I didn’t do any full throttle.

Big difference on the interstate. Prior to this trip the truck would only shift into 8th gear going downhill and would only hold 8th on flat ground at steady speeds. This trip it spent a lot of time in 8th even going over overpasses and small hills. I was even able to do some slight acceleration in 8th on flat ground. Larger hills still required a down shift to 7th or 6th to maintain speed. The improvement was very noticeable.

No noticeable difference on rural highways. These are my favorite roads to travel. The truck always performs well.

MPG was very good. 11mpg on the way out and 10mpg on the return (heavy traffic) according to the lie-o-meter. In the past I have seen between 8.5 on the low end and 11 on the high, 9.5 being the average. I keep a log of all my towing trips, including mpg numbers. I use the highest octane available when towing. The mpg numbers on this trip were above average. Time will tell if I get any repeatable improvement.

I know I’ll take some heat for even implying that an intake can make any noticeable difference. My experience says it can.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did my first tow after installing the Ram Airflow intake and wanted to report my experience. Prior to this run I have over 3500 miles of towing with this truck/trailer combo so I am very familiar with what to expect under various conditions. See my signature for truck/trailer particulars.

This was a 130 mile trip each way, taken 9 days apart. Each way consisted of 42 miles of interstate, 40 miles of rural highway and the remaining miles were suburban roads with plenty of traffic lights. Some rain and cross winds on the outbound trip. Good conditions on the return trip but heavier traffic. I tow 65 on the interstate and run 5 over the speed limit everywhere else. I don’t use cruise control when towing and only use tow/haul when in hilly/mountain areas.

My impressions:

No real difference noted in acceleration from a stop. Acceleration is always adequate with this rig and I didn’t do any full throttle.

Big difference on the interstate. Prior to this trip the truck would only shift into 8th gear going downhill and would only hold 8th on flat ground at steady speeds. This trip it spent a lot of time in 8th even going over overpasses and small hills. I was even able to do some slight acceleration in 8th on flat ground. Larger hills still required a down shift to 7th or 6th to maintain speed. The improvement was very noticeable.

No noticeable difference on rural highways. These are my favorite roads to travel. The truck always performs well.

MPG was very good. 11mpg on the way out and 10mpg on the return (heavy traffic) according to the lie-o-meter. In the past I have seen between 8.5 on the low end and 11 on the high, 9.5 being the average. I keep a log of all my towing trips, including mpg numbers. I use the highest octane available when towing. The mpg numbers on this trip were above average. Time will tell if I get any repeatable improvement.

I know I’ll take some heat for even implying that an intake can make any noticeable difference. My experience says it can.

I have been thinking about changing the intake, but haven't been able to justify the expense yet. I already have decent mileage while towing(10-12), but a 10%+ gain would sure be nice.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the intake helping keep the trans in 8th?
If the trans downshifts based primarily on load @ rpm, are you thinking the intake reduced the ECU reported load?
Would love to see a before/after of load % from an OBDII reader, because (and u predicted it), I’m skeptical the intake is making enough difference to have such an effect...quality of gas (aka ignition timing) could make the effect you noted.
Overall, would u say it was worth the $ ?

Tjd

Reaction score
I installed both the airflow, cat back exhaust and switched to 89 octane fuel all at the same time. I can confirm MDS is engaged more often and stays on longer than before. I seem to be getting 1-1.5 mpg improvement. The problem is I don’t know if it was one of these things or a combination. The MPG improvement might be better in the summer as I’m running winter tires now. I was certainly expensive and I’m not sure worth it for fuel savings. It’s definitely worth it for the awesome exhaust sound and better airflow into and out of the engine which has made a slight but noticeable power improvement.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the intake helping keep the trans in 8th?
If the trans downshifts based primarily on load @ rpm, are you thinking the intake reduced the ECU reported load?
Would love to see a before/after of load % from an OBDII reader, because (and u predicted it), I’m skeptical the intake is making enough difference to have such an effect...quality of gas (aka ignition timing) could make the effect you noted.
Overall, would u say it was worth the $ ?
I understand the skepticism. But when I got on the interstate the difference was apparent. And with 3500 miles prior to this, I was seeing things I never saw before, in a good way. Like I said, I alway use the highest octane fuel when towing, so I don’t think it’s fuel quality. I even waited until after the return trip (and another fill-up) to share my impressions, to make sure it wasn’t a one-off. I can only attribute it to the intake as that’s the only thing that has changed.

The truck also has a Fastman throttle body and a Mufflex Magnaflow 24” muffler. These have been on the truck since nearly new. It’s possible the RamAirflow works better in combination with these other mods and the intake was a restriction point. Only speculation.

Worth the money? Na, I can’t justify the $790 I spent on this thing. What I think I got was all-around improved throttle response and a better towing experience. Full throttle sounds better too but I can’t claim more power since I have no way of measuring. Overall I’m happy with it.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thx
I understand the skepticism. But when I got on the interstate the difference was apparent. And with 3500 miles prior to this, I was seeing things I never saw before, in a good way. Like I said, I alway use the highest octane fuel when towing, so I don’t think it’s fuel quality. I even waited until after the return trip (and another fill-up) to share my impressions, to make sure it wasn’t a one-off. I can only attribute it to the intake as that’s the only thing that has changed.

The truck also has a Fastman throttle body and a Mufflex Magnaflow 24” muffler. These have been on the truck since nearly new. It’s possible the RamAirflow works better in combination with these other mods and the intake was a restriction point. Only speculation.

Worth the money? Na, I can’t justify the $790 I spent on this thing. What I think I got was all-around improved throttle response and a better towing experience. Full throttle sounds better too but I can’t claim more power since I have no way of measuring. Overall I’m happy with it.

thx - if throttle response and highway towing benefits are noticeable, I’d say it was worth something 😁

Bearman95

Reaction score
I don’t tow with my Laramie 4 x 4 but I noticed right away after installing the ram air several months ago that my truck stayed in Eco mode more!

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did u guys get your ram air from?

Portercycling250

Reaction score

My impressions:

Thanks for taking the time to post this info. I’ll be adding the Ram airflow shortly as I am waiting for the order to arrive.

Tjd

Reaction score
Funny thing is after removal of the factory air box I found the block heater cord. In the eco diesel it was front and left on the passenger side. On the hemi it was to the back of the old airbox.

Users who are viewing this thread