5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Question

A4Owner

Reaction score
If I have just an '18 Bowrider that's roughly 3,200 pounds with the engine and equipment, and then a single or dual axle trailer, and then like 500 pounds of my own crap physically in the truck's interior or bed...then isn't a 5.7 equipped LTD with the 3.21 rear end and '22 inch wheels like "double" the amount of truck I really need? Or does the 3.21 rear and fancy shmancy wheels cut your towing by quit a bit? I just don't quite grasp the concept of the wheels and tires on the LTD being a detractor from pulling power because doesn't this same drive train pull like 12,000 in Rebels and Tradesmen? Like is the whole tire and wheel thing here that all three "can" pull 12,000 pounds but an LTD with the '22 wheels would kind of "slide" around and feel less well planted. I've seen vides of guys doing 9,000 pounds with the LTD on the '22 wheels but once you cross like 9,600-9,700 pounds they all start saying the truck really "notices" the load.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I have just an '18 Bowrider that's roughly 3,200 pounds with the engine and equipment, and then a single or dual axle trailer, and then like 500 pounds of my own crap physically in the truck's interior or bed...then isn't a 5.7 equipped LTD with the 3.21 rear end and '22 inch wheels like "double" the amount of truck I really need? Or does the 3.21 rear and fancy shmancy wheels cut your towing by quit a bit? I just don't quite grasp the concept of the wheels and tires on the LTD being a detractor from pulling power because doesn't this same drive train pull like 12,000 in Rebels and Tradesmen? Like is the whole tire and wheel thing here that all three "can" pull 12,000 pounds but an LTD with the '22 wheels would kind of "slide" around and feel less well planted. I've seen vides of guys doing 9,000 pounds with the LTD on the '22 wheels but once you cross like 9,600-9,700 pounds they all start saying the truck really "notices" the load.
Depends on if you’re asking about pulling capacity or payload capacity.
A Limited is going to have probably 1000-1200 lbs of payload capacity. If a trailer is at almost 10,000 lbs, then the tongue weight is probably at or above the payload capacity of the truck. Then you add a driver, passengers, and 500 lbs of personal gear. The truck will certainly feel that.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The limited is loaded to the gills in heavy options/creature comforts that take away from payload.
Not so much due to axles or gearing, just the weight of the truck.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Yeah but aren't Rebels like not exactly light weight either? You're saying a LTD weights that much more?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All modern half tons can PULL way more than they can CARRY.
That is to say they are all payload rating limited in the real world; not tow rating limited.

And then the higher up the trim and options charts you go, the less payload you have to CARRY things (trailer tongues + junk in the trunk).

Has nothing to do with the wheels.

Yes Ram lowers the tow rating on 3.21 gears, but on a fat Limited you'll still bump into the payload limit before the tow limit - especially if you have any passengers or stuff in the bed.

A4Owner

Reaction score
I came from a Nissan Frontier. I gained something like 40lbs of payload, 5,000lbs of towing and lost 1mpg. However, I could carry the Frontier in my back seat if I folded the mirrors in.
What a great sentence that last one. But wow, so you're saying even a poser spec LTD can pull double what a frontier can?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What a great sentence that last one. But wow, so you're saying even a poser spec LTD can pull double what a frontier can?
No not quite...

My Frontier had roughly a 1400lb payload and 6500lb tow capacity. My Rebel has roughly 1440lb & 11,500lb.

mrclortho

Reaction score

Cake for that truck. I tow 8k lbs loads with 3.21's and the 5.7L often and the truck does it easily.

A4Owner

Reaction score
I'd really love to be able to hook up 8,000 pounds. I consider myself to be something of a truck poser. I don't really need a truck as much as I really want a truck. In no world do the things I own require something so big to haul around, but it sure would be sweat. One way around this, obviously, would be to two 8,000 pounds around just for the heck of it...may-be by asking the neighbor whether she had a few thousand pounds of stuff I could move around...

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Your truck will have a yellow sticker on the driver's door jam on the front side of the B post. It will give you all the related information on weights and GVR, tow ratings. No matter what you can't exceed the GVR if you do bad things can happen. You will also be liable if any of the bad things happen while over the GVR for the truck. My guess is you may need a 2500 to handle the weight and be under the GVR for the truck in the 2500 class.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd really love to be able to hook up 8,000 pounds. I consider myself to be something of a truck poser. I don't really need a truck as much as I really want a truck. In no world do the things I own require something so big to haul around, but it sure would be sweat. One way around this, obviously, would be to two 8,000 pounds around just for the heck of it...may-be by asking the neighbor whether she had a few thousand pounds of stuff I could move around...

Users who are viewing this thread