5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Question

jsmith032

Reaction score
Im a little confused... the inside of my truck says the GVWR is 7100lbs, but I put my VIN here and it says 10,960 (See attached) Also attaching my sticker to show the installed options. Looking to tow a 6300 dry weight TT (Specs for that also attached) and hoping my rig can handle it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 10.07.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 10.07.24 PM.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 9.58.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 9.58.38 PM.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 10.18.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 10.18.48 PM.png
    585.5 KB · Views: 50

Terrible_One

Reaction score
That site is not to be trusted. It doesn't take into account your options. The sticker on your door jamb is what you need to use. The GVWR is weight the total weight you can put on your axles, not what you're capable of towing. The main thing you're looking for is your payload capacity - it's the sticker that says: "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed" and then it will list the payload in KG and LB's. Let's use my truck as an example. My sticker says "596 KG or 1316 LB" - so my payload capacity is 1316 lbs. Now, that trailer you're looking at says the "hitch weight" is 806 lbs, so I must subtract that from 1316 because that's the amount of additional weight it will put on my axles (aka cargo). That leaves me with only 510 lbs of additional weight in my truck before I max out its payload. Our trucks can PULL much more than they can handle on the axles. All of the options the Limited has actually reduces its payload - dual pano sunroof, heavier 22" wheels, larger front spindles, auto side steps, etc. Yes, you can pull a 6300 lb trailer easily, just keep your payload in mind. ALSO, when you load up that trailer for the trip, you're adding weight to it as well, so add 15% of additional weight in the trailer to the hitch weight (thus taking up more payload). But it's still way more efficient to put as much as possible in the trailer than to load it into the truck because it's not a 15% deficit, it's 100% loss. Meaning, if you put a 100 lb generator in the truck, it's 100 lbs lost to your payload. But if you put in the trailer, it's only 15 lbs lost to the payload.

Last edited:

jsmith032

Reaction score
That site is not to be trusted. It doesn't take into account your options. The sticker on your door jamb is what you need to use. The GVWR is weight the total weight you can put on your axles, not what you're capable of towing. The main thing you're looking for is your payload capacity - it's the sticker that says: "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed" and then it will list the payload in KG and LB's. Let's use my truck as an example. My sticker says "596 KG or 1316 LB" - so my payload capacity is 1316 lbs. Now, that trailer you're looking at says the "hitch weight" is 806 lbs, so I must subtract that from 1316 because that's the amount of additional weight it will put on my axles (aka cargo). That leaves me with only 510 lbs of additional weight in my truck before I max out its payload. Our trucks can PULL much more than they can handle on the axles. All of the options the Limited has actually reduces its payload - dual pano sunroof, heavier 22" wheels, larger front spindles, auto side steps, etc. Yes, you can pull a 6300 lb trailer easily, just keep your payload in mind. ALSO, when you load up that trailer for the trip, you're adding weight to it as well, so add 15% of additional weight in the trailer to the hitch weight (thus taking up more payload). But it's still way more efficient to put as much as possible in the trailer than to load it into the truck because it's not a 15% deficit, it's 100% loss. Meaning, if you put a 100 lb generator in the truck, it's 100 lbs lost to your payload. But if you put in the trailer, it's only 15 lbs lost to the payload.
Makes sense. The 510 lbs left doesnt include cabin weight either right? Like humans, etc.. I get that my truck CAN tow pull it but is there anything that can be done to get more payload from my truck? Using a different hitch?

EDIT:
My truck says: THE COMBINED WEIGHT OF OCCUPANTS AND CARGO SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 1061.

Sounds like Im in worse shape than I thought?

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense. The 510 lbs left doesnt include cabin weight either right? Like humans, etc.. I get that my truck CAN tow pull it but is there anything that can be done to get more payload from my truck? Using a different hitch?

EDIT:
My truck says: THE COMBINED WEIGHT OF OCCUPANTS AND CARGO SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 1061.

Sounds like Im in worse shape than I thought?

Remember that the dry tongue weight listed (806 lbs) will go up by a few hundred once you load the trailer with cargo, water, propane, batteries, etc. Plus add another 75-100 lbs for the WDH

1,061 lbs of payload means that your truck weighs 6,039 lbs by itself. (7,100 - 1,061). Yes driver and passenger weight must be taken into account.

1,061 lbs minus combined driver and passenger weight = what you have left to carry for trailer tongue weight. That trailer is too big for your truck

badpewterz

Reaction score
Im a little confused... the inside of my truck says the GVWR is 7100lbs, but I put my VIN here and it says 10,960 (See attached) Also attaching my sticker to show the installed options. Looking to tow a 6300 dry weight TT (Specs for that also attached) and hoping my rig can handle it.
can the truck pull it? "technically" yes BUT not without a tiny driver and ZERO gear, propane, fluids ect
with only 1060lb payload you are very very limited
810 DRY tounge ( never this light as it is with no propane tanks, no battery, no gear, no fluids, NOTHING) ( true tounge weight will be 900+)( also not including the weight of a weight dist. hitch either)
this leaves you with maybe 100lbs for driver only in payload

cleigh

Reaction score
Remember that the dry tongue weight listed (806 lbs) will go up by a few hundred once you load the trailer with cargo, water, propane, batteries, etc. Plus add another 75-100 lbs for the WDH

1,061 lbs of payload means that your truck weighs 6,039 lbs by itself. (7,100 - 1,061). Yes driver and passenger weight must be taken into account.

1,061 lbs minus combined driver and passenger weight = what you have left to carry for trailer tongue weight. That trailer is too big for your truck

FYI the truck weights already account for driver and fuel. So you need to account for passengers and stuff and hitch weight (and 100lbs for weight distribution hitch).

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FYI the truck weights already account for driver and fuel. So you need to account for passengers and stuff and hitch weight (and 100lbs for weight distribution hitch).

Learn something every day! What weight is used to calculate the weight of the driver? I.e. if I'm 200 lbs, would I lose or gain payload?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How in the world do you option one of these Rams to achieve only 1,061 lbs. of payload? Holy cow that's terrible. There are midsize trucks like the Jeep Gladiator and Ford Ranger that have 75% more than that.

But yes, that trailer will max out your payload by itself. So you have zero left for any gear or additional people onboard the truck. Can you do it? Yes. But you'd find that a 2500 gas or a 3500 diesel/gas will get you where you need to be.

jsmith032

Reaction score
How in the world do you option one of these Rams to achieve only 1,061 lbs. of payload? Holy cow that's terrible. There are midsize trucks like the Jeep Gladiator and Ford Ranger that have 75% more than that.

But yes, that trailer will max out your payload by itself. So you have zero left for any gear or additional people onboard the truck. Can you do it? Yes. But you'd find that a 2500 gas or a 3500 diesel/gas will get you where you need to be.
Seriously... I get that the limited is heavier because of the "luxury" features, but I figured I would still be good to pull a decent sized TT.

cleigh

Reaction score
I don't think that's accurate. The truck weight accounts for full fuel, but not a driver.

I found this prior discussion here - which goes indepth on the gray area (or rather the vagueness of Ram).

Basically this quote: "RAM is including 150 lbs for the driver in one spec but not in another. SAEJ2807 has allowances of 300lbs for the driver and one passenger but RAM does not, yet still claims to be SAEJ2807 compliant."

There is a lot more information/discussion in that post - the only thing clear is that nothing is clear.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The door sticker on every truck states the max payload, and it says, "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXXX". No mention of "occupants minus driver".

PDiddy

Reaction score
My Laramie weighs 5445lbs. What the hell do they add to limited that weighs so much? Are there power steps? Maybe those are 100lbs each? That seems heavy, but those could be something you could remove to lighten it up. Also get some 18” wheels and lighter tires. You could gain yourself back a few hundred pounds hopefully. Bed covers can add up to 60lbs too.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 3.6 Big Horn with 3.21s has a max payload of 1535 lbs on the door sticker. Thats like a 500 lb increase over a Limited with 5.7, hard to believe.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found this prior discussion here - which goes indepth on the gray area (or rather the vagueness of Ram).

Basically this quote: "RAM is including 150 lbs for the driver in one spec but not in another. SAEJ2807 has allowances of 300lbs for the driver and one passenger but RAM does not, yet still claims to be SAEJ2807 compliant."

There is a lot more information/discussion in that post - the only thing clear is that nothing is clear.

There is no driver weight taken into account on the payload sticker.

Wire4money

Reaction score
My 3.6 Big Horn with 3.21s has a max payload of 1535 lbs on the door sticker. Thats like a 500 lb increase over a Limited with 5.7, hard to believe.
Isn’t payload (gvwr) the same between Hemi and 3.6?

@JC

Reaction score

My loaded 20 PowerWagon only had 100lbs more payload than that and it's a 2500...

armyhonor27

Reaction score
Isn’t payload (gvwr) the same between Hemi and 3.6?
most of the gvwr ratings are gonna be 6900 or 7100 but that isn't your payload. your payload is that 6900 or 7100 minus the weight of your truck with all of your options which will vary greatly from vehicle to vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Wire4money

Reaction score
most of the gvwr ratings are gonna be 6900 or 7100 but that isn't your payload. your payload is that 6900 or 7100 minus the weight of your truck with all of your options which will vary greatly from vehicle to vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
That’s what I was trying to say. The 3.6 could have more payload than a 5.7, correct?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what I was trying to say. The 3.6 could have more payload than a 5.7, correct?
It could, yes. Ultimately it comes down to options not trim level.

The real weight is added in eTorque, Pano, 33g tank, RamBoxes, Multi-function tailgate, Off-Road package, 4x4, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread