5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing numbers query

Evibe101

Reaction score
I have run all my numbers and sized a new potential trailer to the numbers. Is there any safety recommendation on "reserve" capability? My payload and GCVWR are within 100 lbs of max. As long as the numbers are under am I ok? Does different terrain (.i.e. mountain trips) make a difference in where I should be on my numbers?
Thanks for any guidance here.

Available Payload
Available GVWR
Available Tow Capacity
Available GCVW
Available Trailer Payload

You will be fine. Yes terrain definitely figures in. But the max numbers take this into the info.

So you are setup right where you need to be. And when you stay away from high terrain it will perform even better.

Good job doing your homework. If your numbers are correct...you did a near perfect job.

One thing though. I see you say you have 172 pounds of available GCWR. Then that means you only have 172 more pounds to add to truck or trailer.

Your 1500 extra pounds towing and 900 pounds extra trailer payload, they are only 172. If you use the 47 in the truck...only 125.

What that means is the max tow number listed for a truck is non existant. Unless, you only have 300lbs of passengers and no cargo.

And if you want to use all of your camper/trailer payload...you have to input the number of the trailers GVWR.

This will also increase your tongue weight.

Which...may very well put you over all your numbers.

So, if this is the case...may need to go with a smaller trailer...or load it less

So. I just stated this in another thread.

Forget about max tow all together. It means nothing. It is a marketing ploy. Unless you travel alone or haul no cargo...it means nothing.

Unlaiden weight of a trailer. Means nothing. It is a trailer. You will not be towing it empty all the time. It is meant to move something. If it is a camper. You will be putting gear and supplies in it. Also water and waste.

The numbers you need are GVWR GCWR of truck and GVWR of trailer. You then need tongue weight. In the camper world...the t listed tw is empty. So you will need to add more and this depends on how you load it. Note: a toy hauler will actually lower tongue weight when you is loaded.

So with those numbers you will have the max you can weigh. Then your buffers come by not loading to max.

If you do find yourself near max...gross axle weights become important. DO NOT EXCEED THESE.

But, and this is a big but...if you are close to being over with the gross vehicle and combined numbers BUT under gross axle...the world will not end...you just need to make the personal decision if you feel comfortable towing at these weights.

What that means is the max tow number listed for a truck is non existant. Unless, you only have 300lbs of passengers and no cargo.

And if you want to use all of your camper/trailer payload...you have to input the number of the trailers GVWR.

This will also increase your tongue weight.

Which...may very well put you over all your numbers.

So, if this is the case...may need to go with a smaller trailer...or load it less

I used 1000lbs of cargo for the trailer...I've read a family of 4 typically takes 600-800 lbs. I'll have to watch this as to your counsel above. Thanks for your input!

I have run all my numbers and sized a new potential trailer to the numbers. Is there any safety recommendation on "reserve" capability? My payload and GCVWR are within 100 lbs of max. As long as the numbers are under am I ok? Does different terrain (.i.e. mountain trips) make a difference in where I should be on my numbers?
Thanks for any guidance here.

Have you towed before? Putting things near the limit isn't gonna be super fun to haul, even with a anti-sway and weight distribution hitch. If it's occasional usage, it'll be fine, but if you are gonna be towing quite a bit or long distances, you'll want to be mindful and probably not be doing 70mph down the interstate.

Have you towed before? Putting things near the limit isn't gonna be super fun to haul, even with a anti-sway and weight distribution hitch. If it's occasional usage, it'll be fine, but if you are gonna be towing quite a bit or long distances, you'll want to be mindful and probably not be doing 70mph down the interstate.
I've not towed anything of consequence. I did keep the trailer under 30 ft (26ft) to help with sway. The intent is weekend warrior....trips with family of 200-400 miles.

Cool. I’ve been towing for a long time. We have a camper that is about 27’ from hitch to bumper. It’s 5500lbs dry without water etc. It’s big and tall and you can definitely feel it back there. I’ve also pulled a trailer with a bobcat that was probably 10k with a F150.

Most trailers have electric brakes, which helps but no fix for pushing air from a tall camper or trailer. So don’t expect to be going 80 unless you want like 5mpg. :)

I’m sure others will chime in, but in short just because it says it can tow 10k doesn’t mean you will want to or it will be fun. You get a windy ****ty day on the highway and you will be rethinking your weight real quick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back