5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing mirror glass swap from non-heated to heated glass

SS2112

Reaction score
I'm considering swapping my non-heated towing mirror glass with heated mirror glass. I know the glass is interchangeable, but was wondering if you can connect the mirror into the rear defrost wiring. Anyone know if this can this be done? And if so, what color and where are the rear defrost wires? Thanks

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered 2018 glass, since I couldn't find 2019 listed yet on moparpartsonline.c0m and other sites..the shape is exact..but, it will not snap in, as the circle clip was different..I was going to just re-use the old non-heated circle base and transfer the heated glass using a heat gun (it's glue to the backing circle).

There was no wiring in my big horn, no biggie, I figured I'd just run thru the door boot, and connect to the rear window defroster grid feed (runs thru driver side sill plate) BUT, I couldn't get the plastic arm cover off the mirror, to run the wire down the actual mirror arm..and I felt like I was going to break the plastic..so I stopped..maybe once its summer temps and not freezing, I will try it again..

The glass itself seems it would be the easy part, I saw a guy on here that changed from chrome to black mirror arm covers (or something) and he said the arm cover and mirror shroud comes off, but I couldn't get mine to open without breaking.

SS2112

Reaction score
I ordered 2018 glass, since I couldn't find 2019 listed yet on moparpartsonline.c0m and other sites..the shape is exact..but, it will not snap in, as the circle clip was different..I was going to just re-use the old non-heated circle base and transfer the heated glass using a heat gun (it's glue to the backing circle).

There was no wiring in my big horn, no biggie, I figured I'd just run thru the door boot, and connect to the rear window defroster grid feed (runs thru driver side sill plate) BUT, I couldn't get the plastic arm cover off the mirror, to run the wire down the actual mirror arm..and I felt like I was going to break the plastic..so I stopped..maybe once its summer temps and not freezing, I will try it again..

The glass itself seems it would be the easy part, I saw a guy on here that changed from chrome to black mirror arm covers (or something) and he said the arm cover and mirror shroud comes off, but I couldn't get mine to open without breaking.
Great information. Thanks!

kjn86

Reaction score

I was talking to user RBRK about the chrome to black tow mirror switch I think you are referring to. He said this exactly about the arm: "I forgot to tell you to leave your stock mirrors on and fold them in to remove the black ‘arm’ trim piece. It makes it easier. Start at the pivot end to remove. I have some thin trim tools that I used to start removal. Then just pull towards the mirror end. I didn’t break any of mine and they went back perfect."

This may be the thread you were reading or may be helpful https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...irrors-with-blind-spot-and-heated-glass.2984/

I really want to do the same thing or something similar. I am good with the tow mirror. Just want heat. Would love to find an inexpensive fix to add this without having to get entirely new chrome mirrors and swap out the guts as he did. Even that wouldn't be too bad since you will probably find them at good prices from the Limited guys who got the 6x9 power folding mirrors, but you have to get the ODB Genie or the dealer to add the code for heat, which about doubles the price from what I can tell. Not paying $300 for the reprogramming on principle.

Sputs10

Reaction score
I was talking to user RBRK about the chrome to black tow mirror switch I think you are referring to. He said this exactly about the arm: "I forgot to tell you to leave your stock mirrors on and fold them in to remove the black ‘arm’ trim piece. It makes it easier. Start at the pivot end to remove. I have some thin trim tools that I used to start removal. Then just pull towards the mirror end. I didn’t break any of mine and they went back perfect."

This may be the thread you were reading or may be helpful https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...irrors-with-blind-spot-and-heated-glass.2984/

I really want to do the same thing or something similar. I am good with the tow mirror. Just want heat. Would love to find an inexpensive fix to add this without having to get entirely new chrome mirrors and swap out the guts as he did. Even that wouldn't be too bad since you will probably find them at good prices from the Limited guys who got the 6x9 power folding mirrors, but you have to get the ODB Genie or the dealer to add the code for heat, which about doubles the price from what I can tell. Not paying $300 for the reprogramming on principle.

KJN86,

Are you sure that the ODB Genie can add the code for heat? I'm also looking to add the heat feature, but I'm also looking to buy the smaller/heated/power folding mirrors. Buying mirrors that can heat resolves one problem, but the truck still has to be smart enough to apply power when I hit the rear defrost button. I know the ODB Genie tool will add the ability to power fold, but that function is secondary to defrost in my opinion.

Thanks for your help!

kjn86

Reaction score
KJN86,

Are you sure that the ODB Genie can add the code for heat? I'm also looking to add the heat feature, but I'm also looking to buy the smaller/heated/power folding mirrors. Buying mirrors that can heat resolves one problem, but the truck still has to be smart enough to apply power when I hit the rear defrost button. I know the ODB Genie tool will add the ability to power fold, but that function is secondary to defrost in my opinion.

Thanks for your help!

ODB will add everything/anything you want. You need all the right modules still, i.e. if you took the chrome heater tow mirror and put it on my truck which doesn't have heat, even with ODB Genie (or dealer flash) it wouldn't heat. You need to replace the module in the door for the one with heat (or power fold, etc.) and THEN replace the mirror and then flash with ODB or dealer.

Sputs10

Reaction score
ODB will add everything/anything you want. You need all the right modules still, i.e. if you took the chrome heater tow mirror and put it on my truck which doesn't have heat, even with ODB Genie (or dealer flash) it wouldn't heat. You need to replace the module in the door for the one with heat (or power fold, etc.) and THEN replace the mirror and then flash with ODB or dealer.

OK thank you. I've emailed them twice so far with an attempt to confirm and have yet to get a response. I'm going to call them soon to confirm from them before I shell out the money to purchase the modules, door switch, and mirrors.

But thanks for your time and help!!

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm considering swapping my non-heated towing mirror glass with heated mirror glass. I know the glass is interchangeable, but was wondering if you can connect the mirror into the rear defrost wiring. Anyone know if this can this be done? And if so, what color and where are the rear defrost wires? Thanks

someone said here that feature of heating will work only if you have rear window defrost,,its what i read here

SS2112

Reaction score
someone said here that feature of heating will work only if you have rear window defrost,,its what i read here
I was going to try to wire it up the same as Mike_CT, splicing into the rear defrost wiring. Unless someone comes up with a better method that's cheap.

Tones1975

Reaction score
Did anyone make this happen? I've got a 2019 rebel with power tow mirrors and blind spot warning. Obv they are manual folding. I really don't know why in the world they wouldn't put defrost mirrors on these things; especially since this was a truck sold in Canada.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I successfully added it to mine, the "hack" / cheapo method.
I ordered just replacement heated glass. then, I ran a wire from my rear defroster, thru the door boot, and out to the mirror, so when I turn on my rear defroster, it gives the mirror 12-volts to defrost. Works excellent.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I successfully added it to mine, the "hack" / cheapo method.
I ordered just replacement heated glass. then, I ran a wire from my rear defroster, thru the door boot, and out to the mirror, so when I turn on my rear defroster, it gives the mirror 12-volts to defrost. Works excellent.
Where did you order the glass from? How much was it? Do you have blind spot detection light in the mirror?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
68401394AA is RH heated glass w/ blind spot indicator, for tow mirrors
68401395AA is the LH....

that’s what I ordered and popped them in, blind spot will
Plug in, the heater connectors are just two plan male spade connector terminals. I ran my own wire from my defrost circuit, thru the door boot, and into the mirror. You have to remove door panel, and then remove the mirror arm plastic covers (it splits in 2 pieces, and you can run the wire thru easily)

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I located the rear glass defogger on my big horn. It’s a high current relay output. I tapped it to provide power to the heated glass I’m putting into my big horn non heated tow mirrors.

You take up the driver sill plate, pull up carpet and open the plastic carrier, and there are 2 harnesses. There is a heavier blue with white stripe. This is 12v when rear defogger is on.
I’d suggest you probe the blue/white wire and toggle the rear defroster and make sure it’s the right one. If I remember correctly, there are multi blue/white in that bundle.

the pic just shows the bundle. I tap some
Other wires for I think some lights or something, I don’t remember. I made my mirror turn signals come on with tail lights so the wire in the pic might be for that I forgot.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some pics I took might help. Have fun!

Attachments

• A6743CDC-6CB1-445C-88D7-3E191561DAA3.jpeg
    A6743CDC-6CB1-445C-88D7-3E191561DAA3.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DE628D22-8446-4151-A314-4BC08F16516E.jpeg
    DE628D22-8446-4151-A314-4BC08F16516E.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 32
  • ED484094-D36A-4361-934E-BC9C8133890E.jpeg
    ED484094-D36A-4361-934E-BC9C8133890E.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 30

jk2019 ram

Reaction score
Some pics I took might help. Have fun!

Is it simply glass, door harnesses, door modules, and a computer software change to have factory installed heated mirrors? Do you know how the door modules work? Does anyone have wiring diagrams? I was thinking that there must already be a wire to the door modules from the defrost switch that either powers the heater through the module or triggers a relay in the module to power the mirrors? Can we tap that wire to power the heater or use it to trigger a generic relay? I was wondering if that would simplify the wiring and keep all the changes in the doors? Curious where you grounded the heaters? Do you know how the blind spot light gets wired? Does it plug into the door module also?

Users who are viewing this thread