5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Jayco WhiteHawk 32KBS

Stevensx21

Reaction score
Here is some photos of my 2019 ram 1500 towing a jayco 32KBS. Photos are with and without the weight distribution hitch installed. Must say it makes a huge difference. I made a trip from Pensacola, FL to Corpus Christi, Tx with this setup. It was my first time with something this large so I must say I was nervous. I didn’t really have many issues until I got closer to corpus as the winds picked up to 20 kts. I would recommend getting a sway control for both sides as I was constantly steering slightly to the right since my sway control was mounted on the right side. The motor was plenty powerful the only issue was the weight of the truck versus the weight of the trailer. The truck was pushed at times by the trailer so you def had to be paying attention but for the most part I was doing about 60-65 and then 55 when the winds picked up. Temps stayed fairly normal with transmission rising to 183 and psi in tires about 4 above average. But all was within range so i was very impressed. If you have any specific questions pm me.

Attachments

• 81CB3DB3-47F1-4088-AA7E-5D6C5B9460F7.jpeg
    81CB3DB3-47F1-4088-AA7E-5D6C5B9460F7.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DA60A6E3-EA8C-47FF-A0D8-3F8AAD8BD194.jpeg
    DA60A6E3-EA8C-47FF-A0D8-3F8AAD8BD194.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 201

jeffmc306

Reaction score
Here is some photos of my 2019 ram 1500 towing a jayco 32KBS. Photos are with and without the weight distribution hitch installed. Must say it makes a huge difference. I made a trip from Pensacola, FL to Corpus Christi, Tx with this setup. It was my first time with something this large so I must say I was nervous. I didn’t really have many issues until I got closer to corpus as the winds picked up to 20 kts. I would recommend getting a sway control for both sides as I was constantly steering slightly to the right since my sway control was mounted on the right side. The motor was plenty powerful the only issue was the weight of the truck versus the weight of the trailer. The truck was pushed at times by the trailer so you def had to be paying attention but for the most part I was doing about 60-65 and then 55 when the winds picked up. Temps stayed fairly normal with transmission rising to 183 and psi in tires about 4 above average. But all was within range so i was very impressed. If you have any specific questions pm me.
Stevensx21, congratulations on the new Ram and trailer setup - looks awesome! I was looking to see the specs on your Jayco 32KBS but their brochure online said "TBD" for Tongue Wt & Max Wt. Can you post the numbers along with your Ram's door sticker payload capacity? I'm curious how yours compares to other Ram's on the forum.

We've got a '19 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport and have an Airstream trailer on order (just saw it at the factory in OH). My problem is the new trailer's actual tongue wt is ~1000 lbs. The Ram's door sticker payload is 1220 lbs. That means it's me + dog in the truck (no other gear) and the wife will have to find another mode of transportation :-(. Not the best scenario. We'll take the truck and trailer to the CAT scales to check the loaded (with wt. distribution connected) to see where the axle weights come in. Another guy on the forum has the same truck and trailer - he was at 4500 lbs on the rear axle (400 over the max).

I stopped at the Ram dealer today and checked out a 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 with Off-road package. The door sticker's payload was over 3,000 lbs! Rear axle rating jumps to 6000 lbs too. That would solve the problem!

Thanks for your post and happy camping!

Ram41313

Reaction score
Has anyone used timbergrove air bags to help with the towing?

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Has anyone used timbergrove air bags to help with the towing?

I have the timber groves and love them. Easy to install and work great with my weight distribution hitch. I have a thread in here titled “let’s see what works” or something like that where I try different things to be able to tow my camper safely if you want to read through that.

Here is my truck with a front leveling kit, 35psi in the bags, and the trailer hooked up.

C85646A3-3DE0-419B-A5C3-34ED19984666.jpeg
A04DCD8C-C119-443D-A08B-0F54AAEE59B3.jpeg

Ram41313

Reaction score
I have the timber groves and love them. Easy to install and work great with my weight distribution hitch. I have a thread in here titled “let’s see what works” or something like that where I try different things to be able to tow my camper safely if you want to read through that.

Here is my truck with a front leveling kit, 35psi in the bags, and the trailer hooked up.

View attachment 21059
View attachment 21058
What’s your camper weight?

Ram41313

Reaction score
I haven’t weighed it but advertised dry weight is 6670 dry and 660 tongue weight. I expect that puts it up a little over 8k in real world numbers.
Thanks for the info mine is 7800 with 950 tongue weight

GRB

Reaction score
Here is some photos of my 2019 ram 1500 towing a jayco 32KBS.
Nice setup and good decision to use a WDH with sway damper. As you have figured out, the key to pulling safely is keeping the speed appropriate to conditions. Hope you enjoy many safe camping trips. GB

Jackham

Reaction score
Stevensx21, congratulations on the new Ram and trailer setup - looks awesome! I was looking to see the specs on your Jayco 32KBS but their brochure online said "TBD" for Tongue Wt & Max Wt. Can you post the numbers along with your Ram's door sticker payload capacity? I'm curious how yours compares to other Ram's on the forum.

We've got a '19 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport and have an Airstream trailer on order (just saw it at the factory in OH). My problem is the new trailer's actual tongue wt is ~1000 lbs. The Ram's door sticker payload is 1220 lbs. That means it's me + dog in the truck (no other gear) and the wife will have to find another mode of transportation :-(. Not the best scenario. We'll take the truck and trailer to the CAT scales to check the loaded (with wt. distribution connected) to see where the axle weights come in. Another guy on the forum has the same truck and trailer - he was at 4500 lbs on the rear axle (400 over the max).

I stopped at the Ram dealer today and checked out a 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 with Off-road package. The door sticker's payload was over 3,000 lbs! Rear axle rating jumps to 6000 lbs too. That would solve the problem!

Gees what airstream did you get with tongue weight?

Stevensx21

Reaction score

I am not sure of the tongue weight but was estimating around 850-900 lbs. When I went to the CAT scales I was reading 15280 gross, 8060 on the trailer axles, 4040 on the drive axle, and 3180 on the steer axle. Granted the weights on the axle depends on how you set up the weight distribution. The trucks engine performed well but if you can afford it, I would personally feel safer in the 2500. Only because the weight of the 1500 is less than the trailer and is extremely noticeable. With the little amount of towing I do I will stick with the 1500 but will get another sway bar for the left side. I am military and move around every year.

Stevensx21

Reaction score
I am not sure of the tongue weight but was estimating around 850-900 lbs. When I went to the CAT scales I was reading 15280 gross, 8060 on the trailer axles, 4040 on the drive axle, and 3180 on the steer axle. Granted the weights on the axle depends on how you set up the weight distribution. The trucks engine performed well but if you can afford it, I would personally feel safer in the 2500. Only because the weight of the 1500 is less than the trailer and is extremely noticeable. With the little amount of towing I do I will stick with the 1500 but will get another sway bar for the left side. I am military and move around every year.
And thank you, I love the new RAMS. Switched from Ford.

Stevensx21

Reaction score
Nice setup and good decision to use a WDH with sway damper. As you have figured out, the key to pulling safely is keeping the speed appropriate to conditions. Hope you enjoy many safe camping trips. GB
Thank you! First time pulling something this bulky but making every effort to ensure mine and everyone else's safety on the road.

Stevensx21

Reaction score

View attachment 21059
View attachment 21058
That looks great

Stevensx21

Reaction score
All set up here in Corpus and cleaned the road debri off today. So I found out before I took the road trip that the mirrors fold out as shown so you can see around the trailer. Felt like an idiot when I discovered this but glad I did before I ordered new trailer tow mirrors lol.

Bacon.jd

Reaction score
All set up here in Corpus and cleaned the road debri off today. So I found out before I took the road trip that the mirrors fold out as shown so you can see around the trailer. Felt like an idiot when I discovered this but glad I did before I ordered new trailer tow mirrors lol.
View attachment 21091
StevenSX, you a navy guy? Not too many people I know go from Pensacola to CC, unless its API-PRI, or instructing. That looks like it could be the RV park on NASCC! Glad the trek went well. I have been going back and forth a bit on a toy hauer, looks like the 1500 should do alright! Have fun in CC, thats a miserable place...HA HA

Stevensx21

Reaction score
StevenSX, you a navy guy? Not too many people I know go from Pensacola to CC, unless its API-PRI, or instructing. That looks like it could be the RV park on NASCC! Glad the trek went well. I have been going back and forth a bit on a toy hauer, looks like the 1500 should do alright! Have fun in CC, thats a miserable place...HA HA
Yes Navy and here for PRI. And it is haha I chose to be on base because I love the short distance to work and everything is inclusive. Wasn’t sure how much two A/C’s would suck electricity in the summer here. I know a few other people living on and off base doing the same thing. What make/model toy hauler?

jeffmc306

Reaction score
Gees what airstream did you get with tongue weight?
Jackham, it’s a 27’ Globetrotter - the factory spec is 871# but with the 2nd AC, solar and gear I expect it to be around 1000#. I have a Sherline tongue scale so will check it before we head to the CAT scales. Airstreams tend to run between 12-13% on the tongue. Max trailer capacity is 7600#. The Airstream dealer just called this morning - trailer arrived today! Scheduling pickup some time next week!
7F7D2A82-40B4-4454-B792-68CB49239E3E.jpeg

Bacon.jd

Reaction score
Cool man! You’ll hear it over and over, but enjoy it, from now until you wing will be the best part of your career! I thought it was BS, just something the old guys would say, but it’s true. I’d switch places with you in a heartbeat, and I’m already out, in the real world. I was down there when we were still flying T34s. Just have fun with it!

Not sure about the toy hauler. Something around 20-24’ maybe. We live in between SA and Austin now, and I ride dirt bike with my son. But it’s always a battle to get the girls to go. Something with AC, somewhere to relax, and an actual toilet may make it easier. Ha ha

Yes Navy and here for PRI. And it is haha I chose to be on base because I love the short distance to work and everything is inclusive. Wasn’t sure how much two A/C’s would suck electricity in the summer here. I know a few other people living on and off base doing the same thing. What make/model toy hauler?

Users who are viewing this thread