5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing experiences

Buckys

Reaction score
Howdy. Beyond just the specs I'm looking for your practical experiences with towing and the ecodiesel.

My personal needs are expected to be ~4,000-8,000 pounds (hitch).

Read a few things that seemed to indicate original ecodiesel units might face mechanical power train issues when you try to push it up to spec limits... I can try to dig up some examples.

My truck is a 4wd crew cab Laramie Southwest package. That includes the electronics of the tow package as well as Bilstein leveling shocks (minor lift) which will additionally limit max spec a small bit more than just the 4wd.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experiences have been very positive. The previous generation had issues with running a little warm when towing grades but this generation I haven't heard of that.

The ecodiesel does great, the torque really becomes evident and it doesn't have to rev out like crazy like a gas engine does. Towing a snowmobile trailer north I was frequently in 8th gear in tow haul mode.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience in western NC has been very good with the EcoDiesel. I'm only pulling about 5500# of travel trailer brick, but it's handling it like a champ (aside from some WDH issues I'm having that have nothing to do with the truck.) There's a section of I-40 that has a 6% grade for five or six miles and I have no trouble going up at 55-60, watching my gauges stay well below the trouble point.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Similar experience here. We tow a 6500 pound travel trailer through the Arkansas mountains and the Ecodiesel does great. The truck and trailer get moving much easier when accelerating from a stop, it has no problem pulling steep grades that I had to pull over on in my F150 to let the transmission cool, and MPG runs 12-14. I can’t think of a better tow vehicle when pulling within limits.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I tow with my Rebel ED I’m the Canadian Rockies at 7600lbs on an 11’6” tall 33’ travel trailer. No issues what so ever, where my previous Hemi struggled and almost overheated before backing off and crawling up the mountains. This 5th gen with the 3rd gen diesel loves towing, but depending how you load up your options, 8000lbs will be near the upper limit unless you are getting a low optioned big horn. My payload is 1444lbs and my trailer with nothing in the bed of the truck, wife, daughter and son we are 100lbs below GVWR and 2,000lbs below GCWR.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I've committed the sin of buying a 3.21. The trailer isn't fully loaded, but it's rated for 7000#

I've towed with the Hemi Classic about a year ago. My experience, the EcoDiesel 5th gen is SO MUCH BETTER.
I can easily pull away from people, even managed to accidentally spin my wheels.
It really doesn't feel like you're pulling anything, the engine/trans puts up no fuss compared to the Hemi.
On the freeway, it stays in 8th gear unless you're on an incline, I even managed to pull off 20.1mpg while towing on a 6.7mi stretch of local highway around 55-60mph.

xi4a56x.jpg

bucolic

Reaction score
I have a 4900 lb camper and have towed it with 3 different Rams. The Eco Diesel is hands down much more comfortable to tow.

The first one was a 2019 Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi and 3.21 gears. Towed the camper from NY to the California coast a total of 8000 miles in 28 days. It got the job done but struggled in some circumstances. It screamed going over mountain passes and struggled in high elevations due to the effects of altitude on engine performance. Headwinds were brutal with the sail the camper creates and sometimes it was a struggle to maintain 55 MPH even on flat land and would be in 3rd or 4th gear just revved up to 4000 RPMs. Wind resistance is a killer. Averaged 9-10 MPG. The BIggest issue though was the 26-gallon fuel tank. That was miserable. Fill up and then at 150 miles in you had to start looking for a gas station especially out west on more isolated stretches of road.

After that, I had to have the 33-gallon tank so I traded for a 2021 Limited with the 5.7 Etourque Hemi and while I was at it got the 3.92 gears hoping for a better towing experience. The 33-gallon tank was a huge improvement but that was all. Not to start a 3.21 VS 3.92 war but sorry, zero, zip, nada difference at speed towing. All it did was drop my gas mileage when not towing (milage was the same 9-10 when towing) and make the tires break loose more than I liked when taking off from a dead stop. At speed towing though absolutely no difference. Still struggled and screamed in headwinds and going up steep grades. If towing heavy the 3.92 gears probably would get the load going easier and with less wear and tear on the truck but once up to speed..... phhht! No benefit.

Now earlier this year with the vehicle shortages I was able to get a trade-in value on the truck at almost what I paid for it so I found an Eco diesel limited about a 4-hour drive from me so did the deal and picked it up. Got the Ram boxes on this one which I never thought I would use but now that I have them can't imagine being without them! This one has the 33-gallon tank and with my experience on the 3.92 gears, I opted for the 3.21's on this one for the better gas mileage. It didn't disappoint in that regard with hitting 30 mpg on highway trips. So just 2 days ago I hooked up the camper and towed it up to a campground about 50 miles from me. Much, much, more relaxed towing experience. So different than the 5.7 Hemi. Going up grades it was easy to maintain 55 mph at well under 3000 RPMs. On flat stretches I found myself creeping over the 65 mph limit without noticing and under 2000 RPMs. As a bonus on the trip, it averaged 13 MPG. Really a much better tow vehicle than the Hemi. I wasn't expecting it to be much different than the Hemi and was pleasantly surprised at how much nicer it towed.

I think you'll love it. I know I really enjoy mine!

truck - Copy.jpg

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I have a 4900 lb camper and have towed it with 3 different Rams. The Eco Diesel is hands down much more comfortable to tow.

The first one was a 2019 Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi and 3.21 gears. Towed the camper from NY to the California coast a total of 8000 miles in 28 days. It got the job done but struggled in some circumstances. It screamed going over mountain passes and struggled in high elevations due to the effects of altitude on engine performance. Headwinds were brutal with the sail the camper creates and sometimes it was a struggle to maintain 55 MPH even on flat land and would be in 3rd or 4th gear just revved up to 4000 RPMs. Wind resistance is a killer. Averaged 9-10 MPG. The BIggest issue though was the 26-gallon fuel tank. That was miserable. Fill up and then at 150 miles in you had to start looking for a gas station especially out west on more isolated stretches of road.

After that, I had to have the 33-gallon tank so I traded for a 2021 Limited with the 5.7 Etourque Hemi and while I was at it got the 3.92 gears hoping for a better towing experience. The 33-gallon tank was a huge improvement but that was all. Not to start a 3.21 VS 3.92 war but sorry, zero, zip, nada difference at speed towing. All it did was drop my gas mileage when not towing (milage was the same 9-10 when towing) and make the tires break loose more than I liked when taking off from a dead stop. At speed towing though absolutely no difference. Still struggled and screamed in headwinds and going up steep grades. If towing heavy the 3.92 gears probably would get the load going easier and with less wear and tear on the truck but once up to speed..... phhht! No benefit.

Now earlier this year with the vehicle shortages I was able to get a trade-in value on the truck at almost what I paid for it so I found an Eco diesel limited about a 4-hour drive from me so did the deal and picked it up. Got the Ram boxes on this one which I never thought I would use but now that I have them can't imagine being without them! This one has the 33-gallon tank and with my experience on the 3.92 gears, I opted for the 3.21's on this one for the better gas mileage. It didn't disappoint in that regard with hitting 30 mpg on highway trips. So just 2 days ago I hooked up the camper and towed it up to a campground about 50 miles from me. Much, much, more relaxed towing experience. So different than the 5.7 Hemi. Going up grades it was easy to maintain 55 mph at well under 3000 RPMs. On flat stretches I found myself creeping over the 65 mph limit without noticing and under 2000 RPMs. As a bonus on the trip, it averaged 13 MPG. Really a much better tow vehicle than the Hemi. I wasn't expecting it to be much different than the Hemi and was pleasantly surprised at how much nicer it towed.

I think you'll love it. I know I really enjoy mine!
Good review. Good to know it's not just me.

A few years ago, I was in a wreck and the other insurance company paid for me to get a Ram for about a month. The 2020 Classic was a 5.7 Hemi, but I'm not sure what gear ratio. In either case, I'm no stranger to towing between various trucks.

ummtY6l.jpg

Z8QrZCU.jpg

xi4a56x.jpg

Going back to my earlier review, my Frontier has been a towing champ for the last 7 years. It definitely punches above its class and anyone who has been in the passenger seat while I'm towing can confirm they didn't expect it to tow so well for a mid-size truck.

When I rented the Hemi Classic, I expected a huge leap in towing experience. I towed both my 18' dovetail and 16x7' enclosed with the rental, and in all honesty, it felt shockingly similar to the Frontier. The Hemi's 8-speed transmission made it worse, in fact. It was constantly gear-hunting, every adjustment in my right foot required a different gear. There was a bit more see-sawing than I expected from a 1500, and I maybe pulled off 10mpg. I was never struggling for power, the Hemi made it pretty clear that it can accelerate, but overall, the Hemi Classic really discouraged me from wanting a 1500.

When I came around to ordering my truck, I didn't really intend to buy another pickup truck, much less a Ram, but I was shopping the entire segment of tow-capable family haulers and the Ram1500 beat everyone in almost every category. I outfitted my truck to put on highway miles. The Laramie was a very good value for the luxury options, the EcoDiesel 3.21 was a good package for a smooth and quiet highway ride, but now that I've actually towed something on the back, IMO, it blows the Hemi out of the water. It's the most comfortable towing experience I've ever had, and on the same roads I've pulled trailers dozens of times.

If anything, the problem is that the Hemi is a lot like that M5 you see on the trailer. It's always chomping at the bit. The Hemi wants and needs to be revved, the EcoDiesel has such a different personality. It wants just 1 gear and you can pretty much drive it all day with just one pedal. It's very relaxing and it has so much torque at any rpm that there's never any drama trying to find the powerband.

bucolic

Reaction score
If anything, the problem is that the Hemi is a lot like that M5 you see on the trailer. It's always chomping at the bit. The Hemi wants and needs to be revved, the EcoDiesel has such a different personality. It wants just 1 gear and you can pretty much drive it all day with just one pedal. It's very relaxing and it has so much torque at any rpm that there's never any drama trying to find the powerband.

I think you nailed it. The Hemi is just itching to be stomped on and send rubber spinning, gravel flying, and roar loudly so it can be heard across town.

The Eco-Diesel is like an Ox. Just quietly digs in and uneventfully and unceremoniously gets its job done without all the fanfare :)

tom318

Reaction score
I didn't have to much towing experience prior to purchasing my ram but have been nothing but pleasantly surprised each and every time I tow. Now if I set the cruise to 70-75 then i do notice it jumps gears often but if I'm in control and don't mind occasionally slowing down or speeding up then its smooth and effortless. Most of my towing is atvs but have pulled cars (M5), boat and also a large 7000# camper. It felt a little down on power pulling the camper but everything else it was great. I recently wrapped up a trip with the 4 atvs and 1 dirtbike and after 900+ miles I averages ~18.5 mpg. Other trucks cant do that hauling air in their empty beds.
IMG_1577.jpg IMG_0527.jpg IMG_3140.jpg IMG_1989.jpg IMG_0256.jpg

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I towed 10k miles with my '15 EcoD (3.55) and at 3k with my '20 (3.92). The overall experience and mileage is better with the '20 and I just came back from a weekend camping trip of 220mi RT and got 15.6mpg with the '20 and the 3.92. On flat roads I see almost 18mpg towing my 28' Cougar.

As far as drivability the 3.92 is quite peppy as compared to the 3.55 and highway mileage is between 30-31mpg. I would never go back to a lower ratio with this engine even if it was 1 mpg better mileage.

ram-camper.jpg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I towed 10k miles with my '15 EcoD (3.55) and at 3k with my '20 (3.92). The overall experience and mileage is better with the '20 and I just came back from a weekend camping trip of 220mi RT and got 15.6mpg with the '20 and the 3.92. On flat roads I see almost 18mpg towing my 28' Cougar.

As far as drivability the 3.92 is quite peppy as compared to the 3.55 and highway mileage is between 30-31mpg. I would never go back to a lower ratio with this engine even if it was 1 mpg better mileage.

You're comparing drivability between a '15 w/3.55 and a '20 w/3.92 and concluding that the better peppiness of the '20 is because of the rear end?! LOL!

SBrentnall

Reaction score
I tow a 2200 lb trailer loaded with two 1300 lb moving horses. I have the 3.92 gearing, and I can't feel the trailer at all. Mpg drops a bit, but not a huge amount.

Users who are viewing this thread