5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing equip suggestions

Udratherbme

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just got my new toy, so now its time to put her to work. I have to go and get my son from school his car (GMC Acadia) was recently wrecked so I need to get it home to work on it. Checked for a trailer Uhaul site says its not recommended. The Acadia weight is listed as 4360lbs, I'm reading my limit at 11,600 towing with a payload of 1500. First off what am I missing with the Uhaul calculations?

Also, what hitch setup would y'all suggest for this job that would end up being used for much smaller jobs, ie golf cart, 4 wheeler trailering?

And PLEASE don’t drive faster than 55-60 towing a Uhaul. They post 55 mph max on their trailers (in reverse print so you see it every time you look in side mirrors), but I see people barreling down the road at 75-80 mph. We used the double axle trailer (twice) moving from Chicago to NM and on arriving in NM on the 2nd trip discovered one tire had zero tread left. We were loaded just under the limit, the load was perfectly balanced, I never exceeded 60 mph and was @ 55 at least 80% of the drive. Those trailers are a needed evil, but the maintenance is BAD!!!

The stupid Uhaul method is Your trucks weight = Trailer + Towed cars weight. If your truck is 5Klbs and the trailer and Acadia are 5100lbs, it doesn't work. I know, i tried helping a friend and i was shocked when they told me that too.

No special hitch needed, just a standard ball mount. Amount of drop would be dependent on the height of the trailers hitch.

JMHO........Your car is 4360 lbs and they U-Haul car trailer can handle 5290 lbs. I don't see the weight of their trailer listed but it's probably around 2200 lbs. IF...important IF....your truck is rated to tow 11600 lbs I'd rent the trailer and go get the car because you are well within thier trailer weight limits AND your towing limits. Just be sure to balance the car over the trailer axles to make sure you stay withing the 1500 lb tongue weight.

I'm no towing expert so everyone take your shot and tell me what I missed.

JMHO........Your car is 4360 lbs and they U-Haul car trailer can handle 5290 lbs. I don't see the weight of their trailer listed but it's probably around 2200 lbs. IF...important IF....your truck is rated to tow 11600 lbs I'd rent the trailer and go get the car because you are well within thier trailer weight limits AND your towing limits. Just be sure to balance the car over the trailer axles to make sure you stay withing the 1500 lb tongue weight.

I'm no towing expert so everyone take your shot and tell me what I missed.
Uhaul is not gonna let you rent the trailer, they're going to put your trucks information and the towed car information in their system and if the system doesn't allow you to rent the trailer, you can't rent it.

System calculates the tow rating by this:

Your trucks weight
=
Less than trailer and towed car combined.

How far is it? There are many auto haulers out there looking for cars to move. Dealers aren’t selling or buying so they are starving.

Uhaul is not gonna let you rent the trailer, they're going to put your trucks information and the towed car information in their system and if the system doesn't allow you to rent the trailer, you can't rent it.

System calculates the tow rating by this:

Your trucks weight
=
Less than trailer and towed car combined.
lol... so OP needs to tell uhaul he is hauling a ford fiesta. problem solved..

lol... so OP needs to tell uhaul he is hauling a ford fiesta. problem solved..
Exactly!
I actually went to a different uhaul location and told them i need to tow a scion xD, It was at the same day i tried the other location and they told me that they know i need to tow a Volvo XC90 because the last refusal is in the system... i was like WHAT THE HECK?? give me the friggin trailer already!
Didn't work for me hahaha

Got a Penske nearby??

Thanks all for the info.... the haul is a little over 100 miles.

Towing that much weight you need a weight distributing hitch (Equalizer hitch) and your truck needs a 3.92 rear axle ratio to have the 11600 lb tow rating.

Thanks all for the info.... the haul is a little over 100 miles.

needed to help a buddy get a full sized 4 door ford home from about 100 miles away so went to u-haul rented car trailer..they never asked me what kind of car I was going to haul. loaded car on. towed to his house behind my old K5 Blazer. no muss no fuss no WDH. thru Dallas freeways 60ish. before I knew any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Back