5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing capacity

MT755

Reaction score
If you're interested in how they come up with towing capacity, look into the SAE J2807 testing. I wonder what the 2025 1500's failed at to now a lower tow rating. What does the RHO fail at to have a 8300 lbs max tow. I'm guessing it has to do with cooling. I heard the diesel Gladiator was under cooled.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you're interested in how they come up with towing capacity, look into the SAE J2807 testing. I wonder what the 2025 1500's failed at to now a lower tow rating. What does the RHO fail at to have a 8300 lbs max tow. I'm guessing in has to do with cooling. I heard the diesel Gladiator was under cooled.

The mighty TRX has a tow rating of 8,100 lbs, which is even lower than the RHO's 8,380 lbs. I think their tow rating is based on suspension, which is too soft? Raptors have similar lower tow ratings compared to regular 1500s.

I did wonder why the RAM 1500s drop 500 or so lbs in tow and hauling capacity with the more powerful Hurricane.

Gren71

Reaction score
If you're interested in how they come up with towing capacity, look into the SAE J2807 testing. I wonder what the 2025 1500's failed at to now a lower tow rating. What does the RHO fail at to have a 8300 lbs max tow. I'm guessing it has to do with cooling. I heard the diesel Gladiator was under cooled.
The diesel JT had a mess of cooling problems, especially early on. But the general Consensus in the jeep forums was that the JT diesel had a significantly lower tow rating because of the added weight of the engine/tranny/def fluid/ect. I haf a max tow gladiator and it came with stiffer rear springs than all other models…which was believed to be a major factor with the 7,650lbs tow rating for the small trucks.

I REALLY wish these rams had a similar setup, where a specific model had the “stiffest” springs.

So hypothetically the ‘25 rams tow could be nerfed because of under powered engines, or the soft springs. 🤷‍♂️

Serpens

Reaction score
Why would it be cooling when the Wagoneer with the Hurricane can tow 10,000lbs?

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Maybe the trucks are heavier. Wouldn’t that weight be deducted from the total towing?

MT755

Reaction score
Why would it be cooling when the Wagoneer with the Hurricane can tow 10,000lbs?
The only engine that has over a 10,000 lbs availability towing is the 1500 with the SO. The HO has 120 more horsepower and that will produce extra heat.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or it could be the fact that they have more standard safety features which add weight. Usually tow capacity is limited more by the suspension, frame, tires than engine power or cooling. The HD trucks have stronger frames and stiffer suspension, increasing their tow rating. Also, you don't want your half ton trucks taking away sales for the HD line by competing for towing capacity

Serpens

Reaction score
The only engine that has over a 10,000 lbs availability towing is the 1500 with the SO. The HO has 120 more horsepower and that will produce extra heat.

I think it has more to do with the increased equipment that comes with the Grand Wagoneer equipped with the HO. The Grand Wagoneer with the HO can still tow 9750lbs. That small of a towing capacity difference doesn't indicate cooling concerns.

Or it could be the fact that they have more standard safety features which add weight. Usually tow capacity is limited more by the suspension, frame, tires than engine power or cooling. The HD trucks have stronger frames and stiffer suspension, increasing their tow rating. Also, you don't want your half ton trucks taking away sales for the HD line by competing for towing capacity

Yep.

Maybe the trucks are heavier. Wouldn’t that weight be deducted from the total towing?

It varies with configuration, but I'm pretty sure the Grand Wagoneer L is the heaviest possible combination, heavier than any variant of the 1500. The Wagoneer variants are on a 1500 frame but with 3 row of seats and a cabin where the bed would be.

MT755

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the increased equipment that comes with the Grand Wagoneer equipped with the HO. The Grand Wagoneer with the HO can still tow 9750lbs. That small of a towing capacity difference doesn't indicate cooling concerns.

Yep.

It varies with configuration, but I'm pretty sure the Grand Wagoneer L is the heaviest possible combination, heavier than any variant of the 1500. The Wagoneer variants are on a 1500 frame but with 3 row of seats and a cabin where the bed would be.
Would the Tungsten have 1700 lbs more options than a pain jane truck. I realize the Tungsten has 4x4 so it would weigh more, but 1700 more?

Serpens

Reaction score
Would the Tungsten have 1700 lbs more options than a pain jane truck. I realize the Tungsten has 4x4 so it would weigh more, but 1700 more?

100% yes. Things like large sunroofs and ventilated, heated, 24-way front seats accumulate weight gain very quickly.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My limited has 1k lbs over some people's Laramie and I don't have no vibrators hiding in my seats. It's surprising how much some things weigh.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats why tradesman trim levels generally have the best payload capacity. No additional comfort features.. want leather, more safety bells and whistles, sunroof, rambox, additional speakers, air suspension, mf tailgate etc that all adds weight and takes away from the payload, modules, additional wiring required etc can and will add up. Thats why it best to evaluate how your going to use your truck and find one that fits within those lines. Just because its a pickup truck doesn’t mean you can load 2k in the bed and everything will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread