5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Break-in Period

Eric56

Reaction score
Is it necessary to follow the guideline of 50 mph max when towing for the 1st 500 miles?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is it necessary to follow the guideline of 50 mph max when towing for the 1st 500 miles?

What are you towing? If it's a 100 pound fishing boat, probably not. If it's a 9000 pound travel trailer then I personally wouldn't be towing that at all until it's broken in (past 5000 miles).

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I don't know if it's *necessary*, but it's probably a good idea. My one time towing with my new truck was with my 7x14 enclosed V-nose, and it's around 2,400lbs empty, so it had almost 3,400lbs with my motorcycle in it. I kept the speed at or below 50 (thank you adaptive cruise control!), even on the highway, where I stayed in the #3 lane and just let people go around.

I do have a related question: do you have to stay at/below 50 for the first 500 miles of towing, as it says in the manual? Or is that only if you start towing at 500 miles on the odometer? I guess I can (luckily, the truck keeps track of towing miles), but dang that's gonna be painful on 70/75mph roads.

-John

Burzum

Reaction score
I think the 50mph limit is for towing when the truck has more than 500 miles and less than 1000. If you have 1000 miles your truck is broken in enough to tow at regular speeds.

parnine

Reaction score
For accuracy, the owners manual says:

"Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or
other parts could be damaged."
and
"Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is
towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not
make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and
other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads."

So to the original question, I think you need to use some common sense as towing an empty flat bed 5x8 utility trailer weighing about 600 lbs is 'towing' and towing a 9,000 lbs travel trailer is 'towing' but clearly they are not the same. I think the point is to allow the truck, when under heavy load, a chance to break in, so they pick 500 miles (of initial towing) and 50mph.

My recommendation is 'take it easy on the truck' in your initial towing to let the engine, gearing, transmission, brakes, etc. have a chance to settle in under load - how long you do this will really depend on what you are towing and my interperation of the owners manual is it needs to be for a 'few hundred miles.

But, 500 miles of pure highway flat would basically never work the transmission gears or very many componets, compared to short trips with starts and stops etc.

Users who are viewing this thread