5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing and wheels spacers?

Cross88

Reaction score
I’m going to be getting a travel trailer in the next few months so a set of wheels and tires will be put on hold. But in the meantime I was think about just getting some spacers to bring the wheels out a little. Does anyone see any issue towing with wheel spacers? It’ll be a just under 5k dry weight travel trailer. I’m going to be getting a nice wdh along with some airlift airbags as well for additional support and safety for me and the family.

Raydar

Reaction score
I have never heard anything good about using wheel spacers, other than cosmetics. They add another potential failure point. OTOH, I've never heard of one breaking.
They WILL add unsprung weight, and can place additional load (through leverage) on your front wheel bearings. Since the rear is a solid axle, the effects won't be so bad.
Of course, big, deep dish wheels and big tires will likely do the same thing.
YMMV.

Cross88

Reaction score
Done correctly, with proper spacers (not eBay/amazon specials) they aren’t any worse than any aftermarket wheel with less offset compared to oem. And people with aftermarket wheels run them for many years and miles with no extra maintenance to drivetrain or suspension components. My rig is a daily driver, I wouldn’t even call my driving “spirited”. I know there’s a number of members who run spacers, I’m curious as to how they are holding up and if any them tow as well.

Users who are viewing this thread