5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing a uhaul trailer

GFK51

Reaction score
Next week I will be towing a 5x8 uhaul enclosed trailer from Florida to Virginia. I have never towed anything before and I am really apprehensive about this. I have a 2021 Ram Limited, 5.7 Hemi with the tow package. Upon research the trailer is 900 pounds empty and I will be loading approximately 300 pounds into the trailer. My friends tell me that this weight is nothing for the size of my truck and that I will not have to turn on "tow mode" switch which would save money on gas. Any thoughts on this?, any comments would be appreciated.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, just drive it like normal, other than knowing you have a trailer for turning and backing of course

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Next week I will be towing a 5x8 uhaul enclosed trailer from Florida to Virginia. I have never towed anything before and I am really apprehensive about this. I have a 2021 Ram Limited, 5.7 Hemi with the tow package. Upon research the trailer is 900 pounds empty and I will be loading approximately 300 pounds into the trailer. My friends tell me that this weight is nothing for the size of my truck and that I will not have to turn on "tow mode" switch which would save money on gas. Any thoughts on this?, any comments would be appreciated.
No problem, your truck could possibly handle putting that entire loaded trailer into the bed (if it would fit). Main thing you have to worry about with those tiny U-haul trailers is the speed rating. From my experience, they're usually rated for 55mph max.

jkm312

Reaction score
When you back it up. Put your hand in the middle of the bottom of the steering wheel. With that hand turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. Short trailers will turn very quickly. It takes a little more stopping distance, so plan on it. Don't do anything quick or sudden. Drive farther down the road with your eyes than you normally would. Beware of what is going on around you.

Make sure the trailer is hooked up solid. Put a keyed lock on the hitch so it can't come unlatched. Same thing for the receiver pin. Safety chains crossed and connected securely. Brake lights and turn signals working. When you leave the truck and trailer to take a break, eat something, etc look at the trailer hitches to make sure it is still hooked up properly before you take off again. Do not get in a hurry, ever.

Lastly relax, the truck weighs more than the trailer and cargo according you your weight estimates. You don't have a case of the tail wagging the dog. Just pay attention, you will be fine.

Last edited:

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll probably need a drop hitch so the trailer isn't nose high. Other than that your truck should not have an issues with it.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not only the weight, but the size of the frontal area that you're pulling, that size is not insignificant (you'd have an easier time pulling a slightly lighter jetski for example). You don't have to use tow haul but if you notice your transmission shifting constantly between two gears then either engage TH or use the gear limiter to limit it to the smaller gear number.

But yes your truck will have no issue whatsoever. It's just the overdrive issue I mentioned where it might "hunt" between two gears once in a while.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
People pull those things with Subarus and RAV4s with no problems. The weight is nothing. Just remember that trailers cheat on corners. Make wide turns so you don't end up with the trailer jumping the curb.

You will be dependent on the outside mirrors. If you have the trailer mirrors, know that those fisheye mirrors are manually adjustable, just really stiff. Get them aimed right and you'll have no problems.

Redfour5

Reaction score
You'll probably need a drop hitch so the trailer isn't nose high. Other than that your truck should not have an issues with it.
Harbor freight for the least expensive but decent drop hitch. I used a six inch for a popup camper for years. Worked perfect, perfect height.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Your biggest problem will be forgetting it is back there as your truck is designed for a lot more. Oh, remember to TAKE TURNS WIDE or enjoy driving over curbs and possibly hitting someone in their turn lane. That trailer is going to be a good trial run for a first time tow. It will familiarize you with the basics of doing it so you can then move on up if you want to.

RJS

Reaction score
You'll get used to the trailer pretty quick. I towed their largest trailer 700 miles to move my grand daughter's stuff with my 2014 Sport Hemi 3:21 rearend and hardly knew it was back there. Their trailers tow really well. I'm assuming you have the class 4 hitch on yours.
With your Limited you should have the mirrors that show traffic beside you and it will take into consideration the trailer length automatically. My 19 Laramie does when I tow my small trailer with it.
If you plan to take the trailer off the truck hitch, be sure you have a small jack with you as the tongue is heavy on these things.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You won’t even know it’s back there unless you look in the rearview mirror.

Once you pull into the pump and reset your trip computer you’ll know because of the increased fuel burn.

Just remember to go deep into your turns so you don’t drag the trailer over curbs or those steel polls they put around the pumps.

I find U-Haul trailers tow real nice.

In my younger days I had the bigger 6’ x 12‘ U-Haul trailer with about 1000 lbs of cargo on that 85 MPH toll road that bypasses Austin and no one passed me.

After you pickup the trailer go to some large empty parking lot and practice backing up.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Quint

Reaction score
As for Tow Mode, it hurts nothing to have it on. It just adjusts the shift points to lessen the burden. Unless you are doing this whole trip on city streets, it won't really do anything to your mileage. In fact, some guys drive around in Tow Mode without anything in tow just to get the Ram to rev higher and sound better on acceleration.

Having it tow mode is especially good when pulling up long hills. It gets the truck to shift into the right gears.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Your truck is more than capable of pulling that trailer no problem. If you've never towed anything before then I'd suggest going to a large empty parking lot and practice making maneuvers to get a feel for the trailer and to see how it reacts while turning and backing. Wide turns are necessary with the trailer attached. When backing up, the shorter the trailer the faster it turns and can catch you off guard very easily. Last thing you want to do is jack knife it into the corner of your own truck. Like I said, practice in an empty parking lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/