5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing a 2400BH

Tymeks

Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m hoping you guys can help me. I’m looking to purchase an Imagine 2400BH. This one here >
77817A05-F527-48C5-82F7-0D8B5D3C5083.png

I have a 2020 1500 Laramie, Hemi with e-torque, 3.92s, 2WD. Here’s my stickers >
67F7D297-68AE-4281-9800-7EA314F06FC1.jpeg
DE5249AC-77D1-42C8-ADED-1686297DBE7D.jpeg
Can you help me know if I have enough truck?

Tymeks

Reaction score
I’ll be towing it with my family, total weight of all 4 of us in the truck is about 450 pounds, including the electronics and inevitable snacks we’ll bring.

As we’ll, I’ll be using a ProPride hitch.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m hoping you guys can help me. I’m looking to purchase an Imagine 2400BH. This one here >
View attachment 123717

I have a 2020 1500 Laramie, Hemi with e-torque, 3.92s, 2WD. Here’s my stickers >
View attachment 123719
View attachment 123720
I think it’ll be close by the numbers, but you’ve got enough truck. 3.92 gears means you’ve got plenty of tow power no concern there. Payload is your limiting factor.

The hitch weight published by grand design is an average of 2400BH builds but it’s a Dry hitch weight. If you’re camping with a lot of gear, big propane tanks, and a couple batteries up front you’ll want to add at least 20-30% to that hitch weight. So let’s be really conservative say 700 pounds. That leaves you around 750 pounds for everything else. The Proride 3P hitch is 195 pounds ( I’m guessing you’re using that one since you said Proride) which puts us around 550 pounds. You said 450 for the family you’ve got around 100 pounds left to spare.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll be towing it with my family, total weight of all 4 of us in the truck is about 450 pounds, including the electronics and inevitable snacks we’ll bring.

As we’ll, I’ll be using a ProPride hitch.
Also quick question which tires did your truck come with? If you’ve got the Bridgestone Duelers you’ll want to upgrade those since they’re not an XL rated tire

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Don’t listen to any naysayers on this one. You have enough truck. Speaking from experience if you leave the truck bed empty you will have zero issues. My payload is 1444 and we travel with a family of four plus snacks and electronics as well, bikes over tonneau cover on a custom rack. With a properly setup hitch this is easy. Btw my trailer is scaled at 7600lbs +\- 100lbs, 33’ long(same layout as yours but with a couch on the slide with the dinette) with hitch weight at just under 900lbs. I use a blue ox WDH that is 100lbs and I am under GVWR.

f32e20babc118ac6342e4129c7ceb8e0.jpg

Tymeks

Reaction score
My truck does have the Duelers. I looked them up and they are rated for 2400lbs. Isn’t that each tire? Or is that spread out across the axel? Since the axel is rated at 4100 lbs ( rear ) doesn’t that include the spec of the OE tire? Or is that not correct?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My truck does have the Duelers. I looked them up and they are rated for 2400lbs. Isn’t that each tire? Or is that spread out across the axel? Since the axel is rated at 4100 lbs ( rear ) doesn’t that include the spec of the OE tire? Or is that not correct?
That's for that individual tire. So two could be put on an axle rated for 4800. You have a built in margin to allow for uneven loading.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

They are an “SL” tire though, so they have a soft sidewall. TT is a giant wind sail that will produce size to side motion. A stiffer sidewall tire will help this feeling.

GD 2400BH is a great choice.

With a properly setup tow vehicle, you shouldn’t have an issue towing.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

View attachment 123717

View attachment 123719
View attachment 123720
How much stuff are you going to take with you? I think you're going to end up over payload when you're loaded and hitched up. Under the best circumstances, you're still going to be close.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t listen to any naysayers on this one. You have enough truck. Speaking from experience if you leave the truck bed empty you will have zero issues. My payload is 1444 and we travel with a family of four plus snacks and electronics as well, bikes over tonneau cover on a custom rack. With a properly setup hitch this is easy. Btw my trailer is scaled at 7600lbs +\- 100lbs, 33’ long(same layout as yours but with a couch on the slide with the dinette) with hitch weight at just under 900lbs. I use a blue ox WDH that is 100lbs and I am under GVWR.

Nice Setup!

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By the numbers you are correct but as @IvoryHemi said, since the tires are SL they have a softer sidewall ( better ride of course ) which means they’ll squish a lot in corners or in any sway situation, which makes sway worse. You don’t need to worry so much about blowouts or anything like that, just sway control. You cold tow the camper on the Duelers but I would recommend getting nicer tires, even with that awesome 3P hitch you’ll still want the XL tires. You’ve got enough truck, there’s lots of people on here that’ll say otherwise but unless they start talking numbers you can just ignore them

Tymeks

Reaction score

Yeah, that’s a great setup! I ended up with the Blue Ox Hitch instead of the 3P. I’m hoping I won’t regret it. I bought the trailer today, so I’m excited. But now, I need to get new tires It seems. Anyone have a recommendation on good XL tires?

With a properly setup hitch and good tires, I should be in good shape. Once I get it dialed in, my first stop will be the scales To ensure, everything is good. To do that, I’ll tow the camper over to the scales, unhook there, weigh, then hook it up and reweigh just to make sure I’m within GVWR and GCWR as well as to ensure I have the WD hitch setup to put enough back onto the front axel. Is that about right?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To do that, I’ll tow the camper over to the scales, unhook there, weigh, then hook it up and reweigh just to make sure I’m within GVWR and GCWR as well as to ensure I have the WD hitch setup to put enough back onto the front axel. Is that about right?
Need 3 passes on the scale (in no particular order)

Pass 1: truck only (w/ WDH still in hitch)

Pass 2: truck w/ trailer & WDH bars not engaged

Pass 3: truck w/ trailer & WDH bars engaged

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s a great setup! I ended up with the Blue Ox Hitch instead of the 3P. I’m hoping I won’t regret it. I bought the trailer today, so I’m excited. But now, I need to get new tires It seems. Anyone have a recommendation on good XL tires?

With a properly setup hitch and good tires, I should be in good shape. Once I get it dialed in, my first stop will be the scales To ensure, everything is good. To do that, I’ll tow the camper over to the scales, unhook there, weigh, then hook it up and reweigh just to make sure I’m within GVWR and GCWR as well as to ensure I have the WD hitch setup to put enough back onto the front axel. Is that about right?
Make sure the truck and camper are loaded up how you'd be towing. People, cargo, full tank, etc.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, good point. Family road trip…to the scales!!1 lol
Lol yeah, a good idea might be to pick your first trip as something close, then find a scale on the way. CAT has an app for locating and using the scales so you don’t even have to go inside and pay. When I stop at the scales I’m usually done in about a minute or less

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spend the 100ish buck and grab yourself a set of the airlift helper bags. They make a huge difference in keeping the truck level
Oh yeah, they’re not really expensive for what they do, or difficult to install. I love my Airlift 1000HD bags

Markvv

Reaction score
The wdh will put some of the tongue weight back to the trailer also. The only way to know for sure is to scale it all loaded exactly the way you would travel and the hitch set up properly most people don't do it right. But I think your combination is going to be good when set up properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online