5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing 6000LBS with P rated?

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys, a little background on me; I have been towing a 6000lb loaded open race trailer for the last few years. I had a 2012 ram, tried LT285/60/20 tires on that but the ride when not towing was not ideal.

I traded it in for a Max Tow Sierra, in which I had XL rated 275/55/20 on, towed well with that.

Now that I am back in a 2019 ram 3.92, 4x4 with a Mopar lift, I am about to downsize from 22" to 20" and don't really want to get into an LT tire because 95% of driving is not towing. I have 305/55/20 116Q Ridge grapplers on order, but am wondering how these trucks tow with P rated tires. I will be installing a hellwig sway bar, and timber grove airbags for stability (probably even before my first tow).

Anywho, who is towing with P or XL rated tires here? Any stability issues? Since i haven't taken delivery of my tires yet at discount i have the ability to change them. I really enjoy the way this truck drives, and do not want to kill that.

Trooper1629

Reaction score
I tow a 9000lb camper. I realize it much more then your trailer but had to go from the P to LT tires. The rear end was dancing around like crazy

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t understand how they can get away with advertising ridiculous tow ratings on these trucks and then equipping them with the paper thin squishy P rated tires. It’s almost like a liability risk to me. If you are towing 6000 lbs get some LT tires.

Trooper1629

Reaction score
I agree! I actually called dodge/ram to complain and got absolutely no where. They said the P tires are rated high enough.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree! I actually called dodge/ram to complain and got absolutely no where. They said the P tires are rated high enough.

I realize I am the one asking, so I am happy to see that adding an LT tire helps with side to side sway on this platform. I posted a link below that really helped me learn about load inflations and I would encourage you, and whoever else stumbles across this post to read up on it as well.

Technically speaking if we really want to get into the weeds, stock tires are enough. Any of the rams stock tires are rated between 2400 and 2600 at 36 PSI which given the axle weight rating, is plenty as long as you don't over load the axle.

With an XL rated tire if you inflate to 42-50PSI they would be worth 2700 lbs (117 275/55/20 XL), and in a +1 upsize of the 22" tire 305/45/22 XL (118T) is worth 2900lbs at 42-50psi. These numbers are slightly skewed as in a truck application you must multiply by .9. The P rated tire I am looking at is a 116 load rating, which is good for 2756 at 35-42PSI.

I saw another post you referenced that you run 35-42 PSI in your 285/65/20 tires which at 35 PSI is only good for 2180lbs (not enough, you'll be wearing out your tire edges very quick at 35PSI in an LT tire). At 42 PSI you're somewhere between 2400-2500lb weight rating. It's not uncommon to see guys doing this, without really understanding and studying load inflation charts and where you fall on them, it's tough to know where to set your PSI. I use this chart for all my reference.

So, even at your max PSI you're nearly running the same rating as a stock tire. You'd need to run a minimum of 50 PSI to be at a rating of 2800+ lbs, and most of these stock 5-6 lug wheels are rated for a max of 50 psi (heck most of our stock weight wheel ratings are 2500lbs anyhow). I have not been able to find the max PSI rating of our stock wheels so I cannot say for sure.

On another note, you've actually decreased your max trailering capacity since you've effectively reduced your rear gear ratio with a 34.6" tire ( turn your tire 2 full turns, and count your driveshaft turns, that's your new ratio).

Overall, i wanted to add that it looks like for both you and colorado club, that the LT tires are offering the feeling of more stability and peace of mind. I wanted to know how the tires were on this specific platform, so i do thank you for your honest posts! I don't want anyone to feel like I am trying to argue, just sharing what i have learned.

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO its not just about load ratings, it’s thickness of rubber, sidewall strength and plys , and depth of tread. Load up a Ram with p rated tires with a travel trailer and WDH hooked up and grab the side of the bed and tug back and forth and watch the truck roll side to side as the p rated tires flex. Do the same thing with appropriately inflated LT tires and you’ll visually see the difference. The only reason those P rated tires are on half ton trucks is because they weigh nothing and have limited rubber in their construction therefore it boosts fuel mileage by 1 or 2 mpg.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO its not just about load ratings, it’s thickness of rubber, sidewall strength and plys , and depth of tread. Load up a Ram with p rated tires with a travel trailer and WDH hooked up and grab the side of the bed and tug back and forth and watch the truck roll side to side as the p rated tires flex. Do the same thing with appropriately inflated LT tires and you’ll visually see the difference. The only reason those P rated tires are on half ton trucks is because they weigh nothing and have limited rubber in their construction therefore it boosts fuel mileage by 1 or 2 mpg.

I did the "wiggle test" on my 2012 Ram I had a set of 285/60/20 LT load range E tires aired up to 50. When I grabbed that bed and shook it, it wiggled like crazy. I did the same with a set of Falken 275/55/20 on my GMC and it was very stout. I swapped those out to a 285/45/22 and those wiggled the worst.

As far as my current ram goes, i've had 285/45/22 that had a little wiggle, and a set of 305/45/22 that had less wiggle. I think it really is tire dependent.

Trooper1629

Reaction score
I agree with Coloradocub. It’s about the add stiffness from a thicker side wall with the added plys. As far as the pressure I’m running. I do keep it low when the truck is not loaded and put more in when I’m towing. On that note I’m still looking for the sweet spot with the best ride. I don’t have many miles on it yet and have only towed the camper a handful of times. All trial and error. I appreciate your input and the charts I will definitely read them.

Users who are viewing this thread