5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towed 7 x 14 v-nose trailer

NDanecker

Reaction score
First tow with the 2019. Trailer is a 7 x 14 enclosed with a v-nose. Empty weight according to the shipping docs is 2120# so its very light. In my opinion - this truck sucks towing. Let me just prefix this I come from 3 Ram diesel DRW trucks so maybe my bar is just a little higher. Thought I could downsize to a 1500 gas motor but man - this thing sucks and when I say suck it sucks it sucks towing and sucks gas. WOW! I'll post some fuel numbers later after I get some hand calc numbers but every time I looked down at the instant mileage on level grades just cruising it was deep in the single digits. Order of magnitude - I used a 1/4 tank driving out to PA from NJ, picked up the trailer and could not make it back on the 3/4 tank I had left. I have the 32 gallon tank.

As for the driving experience I could feel the truck being pushed by the trailer when being passed by semis or even small box trucks. Drove where the truck felt comfortable around 65 to 70. I don't think 80 would be possible without really pushing the truck. I have the 3.92 gears and 8th gear was only seen when coasting down steep grades or when I drafted semis around 60 or 65. Majority of the trip was in 7th gear. Toggled tow/haul mode off to see the difference. Truck felt comfortable with TH on around town with lights but highway made no difference.

I was thinking of getting a TT toy hauler and after just pulling this tiny box trailer - NO FREAKIN WAY! My plans have changed and this truck will soon be my sons truck in about a year when he gets his license, and I'm going back to DRW diesel. Love the truck otherwise. Love the interior. But wow - for towing nothing beats a diesel DRW. Can't believe you guys pulling large TT with this thing on long trips. Must be white knuckles all the way, and that is not for me. I pulled a 44' Toy Hauler Fifth Wheel Cyclone with my '14 DRW and I was driving with 2 finders on the wheel at times just cruising at 75 without an issue. Always felt in complete control and never stressed. Passed semis, up grades - it just did it.

Attachments

• 20190502_170740.jpg
    20190502_170740.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

2wd

Reaction score
Was this your first half ton towing experience?

I towed up to 7000 lbs travel trailer with my F150 and will be towing about 7500 lbs with this Ram at the end of the month and be able to compare Ford to Ram.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Obviously apples and oranges comparison. Maybe that trailer doesnt have any tongue weight empty causing it to feel squirrelly. Gas mileage? I never was in double digits with any of my diesels towing. My 2016 F150 EcoBoost was in the 8's and 9's towing. This Ram was in the 9's towing a couple of weeks ago. I'm fixing to tow to Michigan next week with it. 7,000 lbs+/- 8 1/2 ' wide X 20' enclosed car trailer and I figure it'll be around 9 mpg. Do I know I'm dragging something? Sure. Stressful? Nope. It's really pretty stable.

Johnvan

Reaction score
I don't think you can measure safety by weather or not you can feel the trailer behind you.
I saw a YouTube video the other day with a DRW double towing a fifth wheel and a small utility trailer. The utility trailer was completely out of control, about to be torn to pieces. The guy couldn't feel a thing I'm sure.
I can feel my trailer. It's a giant 30 foot by 10 foot box. I'd be worried if I couldn't feel it. It's stable, tracks straight. Plenty of stopping power and about as maneuverable as you're going to get considering what it is.
You'd feel it less behind a larger truck but I really don't think it would be safer.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cmon, towing a #2100 pound trailer in a half ton makes you feel "white knuckled"? Even my Jeep GC would laugh at that trailer.

NDanecker

Reaction score
I have a 8.5' x 24' Thule cargo trailer also that has extra height ( think its 7'6") that I will do a test run with. I know how this handled behind the DRW trucks I had so I'm curious how this 1500 will tow that parachute. LOL. Will let you know my opinions on that soon.

I like the Ram 1500. It has it's place. I certainly don't want to get into a debate on which is better, safer or the superior truck. That was not the point of this thread. I am offering my opinion to others who may be on the fence of getting this truck, thinking about buying a larger trailer or RV. If you have the option - go bigger and diesel.

IMO, everyone should stay withing their comfort zone. If you feel comfortable towing a 30' TT with the 1500 - all the power to you. As I said my expectation is probably higher than most since I'm coming from a long history of DRW diesels. I'm almost 50 so I've got a few years of towing with a number of different vehicles towing varies box and flat bed trailers (Mustang GT, S-10 Blazer, Suburban 2500, Tahoe, VW Jetta, Tiquan, Honda Civic to name a few) and of all the cars/trucks I've owned the 3500 DRW diesel is the clear winner. I have my Class A CDL and have driven 80k class 8 trucks (not professionally or as a career) so I've got some experience but by no means 'the expert'. Just sharing my humble opinion......

NDanecker

Reaction score
Cmon, towing a #2100 pound trailer in a half ton makes you feel "white knuckled"? Even my Jeep GC would laugh at that trailer.

Never said I felt white knuckled pulling the tiny cargo trailer. LOL

My friend is a fireman who drives tanker trucks (class 8 truck) and says when he does the NJ to SC vacation pulling his 30' TT with his 1500 it is a 'white knuckle' drive the whole way. He has a WD and anti-sway hitch. That is where the white knuckling comment came from.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Never said I felt white knuckled pulling the tiny cargo trailer. LOL

My friend is a fireman who drives tanker trucks (class 8 truck) and says when he does the NJ to SC vacation pulling his 30' TT with his 1500 it is a 'white knuckle' drive the whole way. He has a WD and anti-sway hitch. That is where the white knuckling comment came from.

Yeah I missread what you said was "white knuckling". Still, hard to believe you could even tell the trailer was behind you at just 2100 pounds.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Yeah I missread what you said was "white knuckling". Still, hard to believe you could even tell the trailer was behind you at just 2100 pounds.

NP.

I don't believe the weight was an issue. I believe it was more of the size of the trailer and being pushed by a passing large truck, and then slightly pushing the 1500 in its lane. Although very little I was shocked I felt it at all and is wondering how much worse will it get with a longer and higher TT. For comparison the 3500 would pull the 24' enclosed (much longer and higher) with less side-to-side then the tiny 14' box trailer. Guess that was my point. Either way I'll be taking the 24' box out for a spin with the 1500 to see the difference.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
It was empty?

The worst towing experience I've had was pulling a home built log splitter. 2 or 3 people could pick the thing up off the ground, but the guy who built it put all the weight behind the wheels. It felt like you were pulling an angry bull going down the road.

I wonder how it'd tow with some weight in the trailer to help anchor it.

Ram41313

Reaction score
It was empty?

The worst towing experience I've had was pulling a home built log splitter. 2 or 3 people could pick the thing up off the ground, but the guy who built it put all the weight behind the wheels. It felt like you were pulling an angry bull going down the road.

I wonder how it'd tow with some weight in the trailer to help anchor it.
I tow a 2016 toy hauler 8000 pounds 3.21 rear end and have no problems

19RAMSRU

Reaction score
I towed a 29 foot enclosed snowmobile trailer to Wyoming in two blizzards.

The trailer weighed 4,000 lbs loaded with my two sleds, gas and gear due to it being all aluminum. And 7ft 6" tall. If you are complaining about a 7 x 14. You need to try my trailer with a standard hitch from Menards.

Also, the trailer is for sale if anyone is interested. I need a bigger one! haha
8,500 takes it.
2018 7 x 29

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I tow a 2016 toy hauler 8000 pounds 3.21 rear end and have no problems
oh yeah, I'm sure. I guess my point is that what you're towing is a huge factor. A little old log splitter was awful, no because of its size, but because it was poorly weighted and had no suspension and that's no fault of he towing vehicle.

jaychris

Reaction score
I have a 7x14 vee-nose (extra height) that I use for duck hunting (gear & 4 wheeler). Seems pretty tame to me, but no question my old 3/4 ton diesel might have done it a little better. But it rode like crap comparatively. I towed it over 40 once (once!) with an Explorer and that's the last time I'll try that.

Gas mileage is low (OK, barely) double digits up and down the highway at reasonable (60-70) towing speed. Never known it to sway or otherwise be affected by passing traffic, but maybe I'm not that aware of it.

Users who are viewing this thread