5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow tire - 18 vs 20 inch rims

timtlu

Reaction score
Currently have 20 inch rims with the OEM falken wildpeaks, which is a passenger tire. Looking at switching to 18 inch rebel rimss and tires, which are 10 ply LT tires. Would I be correct in assuming that the increased ply LT tire would provide a superior towing experience (less sway, better durability, etc.) than the current set up, even though I would be gaining more sidewall from the move from 20 to 18 rims?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow with 20's, but changed to a heavier sidewall tire and it works fine. Also, because of the air suspension, I installed the hellwig.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Likely wouldn’t notice a difference between the two choices you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with Dragonmaster13. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference between the wheel sizes for a comparable tire so no need to get new rims unless you're itching for some Rebel wheels.

Go with a good E-rated tire for your 20s and you will be fine. Plus the 20" wheels give the brake caliper a little breathing room and better cooling IMO.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Not sure what you are towing, but my truck has the OEM Wildpeaks and I think they do great towing our 6500 pound travel trailer. I air them up to 40 PSI and find them very stable, no sway. I have 22,000 miles on them now and they are wearing great (still 9/32 remaining).

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I went the other way; 18 goodyear to 20 inch michelin defender to get a stiffer sidewall. Haven't towed with them yet, but you can definitely feel it's a little stiffer already.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ORG comes with a C-rated tire (Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA) which is stiffer than the P-rated (street) tires that come on the non-ORG trucks.

An E-rated will be even firmer over a C-rated (XL-rated equivalent) tire.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ORG comes with a C-rated tire (Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA) which is stiffer than the P-rated (street) tires that come on the non-ORG trucks.

An E-rated will be even firmer over a C-rated (XL-rated equivalent) tire.

Non-ORG can get a C-rated equivalent with the 22” wheels that come with XL-rated tires

Users who are viewing this thread