5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow on or off ?

HemiCane

Reaction score
Hello I will be towing a 24 ft center consoles with twin 150's shortly and I was wondering should I use the tow feature or not. 2020 with 5.7 4x4.

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
Here’s what the manual says on haul/tow mode.

Attachments

• 2631786C-292E-4267-84FC-ADB29990B2D1.png
    2631786C-292E-4267-84FC-ADB29990B2D1.png
    252.5 KB · Views: 177

jermball623

Reaction score
I always use mine but I don't mind the higher shift points and I live in a pretty hilly area. And if you're shifting a lot while not using it would be a good idea to use it so your trans won't overheat and it will minimize shifts by holding a lower gear. I'd say give it a shot if you like the way it drives without it then don't bother. But if your trans gets hot or its shifting to a lower gear constantly either turn it on or use your gear selector.

bfp9

Reaction score
Towed from Texas to South Carolina using it the whole way and no issues to report.

Plus - the truck accelerates with a trailer so much better when in tow mode because it holds the gear.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
I've been towing my 25' Camper which is about 6-6.5K lbs loaded and gear in truck, in Tow/Haul mode even at highway speeds. I'm getting about 11 mpg. I was wondering if I need it driving on a flat highway. I suppose I could lock out 7-8th gear and still not wind the RPMs up as much as tow haul. But I can't imagine my mileage would improve that much and could harm the transmission from what I'm reading. Was just curious what other camper haulers do.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i drive in tow haul mode all the time, its basically sport mode :LOL:. it really saves on breaking going down hills due to how it changes shift points. And as other's have said, you really notice the difference in acceleration as well. The only thing you'll hurt using tow haul mode is your gas mileage

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
've been towing my 25' Camper which is about 6-6.5K lbs loaded and gear in truck, in Tow/Haul mode even at highway speeds. I'm getting about 11 mpg.

I tow a similar size/weight camper. I only use tow/haul in hilly areas. That’s where I feel it serves a purpose. I’m not a fan of it otherwise. I do have the 3.92 gears though. Transmission never heats up on flat highway and no unusual shifting.

11 mpg sounds pretty good to me. I usually get 9-10. I’ve seen 11 average for a days towing, but it doesn’t happen very often.

Last edited:

NDanecker

Reaction score
I use tow haul whenever towing anything heavy or high frontal area or excessive wind drag.

Users who are viewing this thread