5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow mirrors ( hard to use )

hengda

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I just picked up my 2020 rebel with the tow package.

One thing that I’m really not used to is using the tow mirrors. On my other 2019 ram bighorn, it was a lot easier to judge and view other cars and merging.

Currently I keep getting worried and nervous not able to judge the distance. ( I do should check, but the magnified tow mirror makes my mind doubt it self )

Anyone else has this type feeling ? Or any suggestion. Maybe I just got get use to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hated the tow mirrors that were on my 2015 Tradesman. Took me a while to get used to them. The are basically the same on the 5th gens, and I'm glad my 2020 Laramie didn't have them. In fact they would have been a deal-breaker. Besides being a little more difficult to use, I use the power folding mirrors all the time. Which you can't get with the tow mirrors. The alternative was having to manually fold them in every time I parked in my garage.

Reactions: Jtr

hengda

Reaction score
I hated the tow mirrors that were on my 2015 Tradesman. Took me a while to get used to them. The are basically the same on the 5th gens, and I'm glad my 2020 Laramie didn't have them. In fact they would have been a deal-breaker. Besides being a little more difficult to use, I use the power folding mirrors all the time. Which you can't get with the tow mirrors. The alternative was having to manually fold them in every time I parked in my garage.

Ya that’s exactly how I feel. Manually folding is really a pain.

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It took me awhile to get adjusted to the tow mirrors but kind of like them now (hated them at the beginning). It's counter intuitive to not have the power fold on the tow mirrors as you will need them to fold in more often than the smaller standard ones. Those tight bank drive-throughs are a b*&%*.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The first 5th gen I had had them and they were not in my opinion the best design. I’m glad my current truck doesn’t have them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's especially bad, at least to me, for people who buy a Limited and get the tow package. Not only do they lose the power folding mirrors, they also lose the surround view camera. That's the same for other trim levels that get the 12 inch display, but to me it seems worse if someone pays for what is in essence a luxury truck, and they lose some of what makes it that. I'm wondering why they didn't design a power folding tow mirror when they redesigned the truck. Surely they can improve these mirrors, which were originally designed for 3rd gens.

Gs72174

Reaction score
I used to have to drive work trucks all the time with the tow mirrors and it did take a while to get used to. With my 2019 Ram, I aim the outter mirrors at the lane lines and the inner mirrors to the blind spots. I’ve never had issues changing lanes with this truck or the bigger work trucks I had to drive along with trailers.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Hey guys.

I just picked up my 2020 rebel with the tow package.

One thing that I’m really not used to is using the tow mirrors. On my other 2019 ram bighorn, it was a lot easier to judge and view other cars and merging.

Currently I keep getting worried and nervous not able to judge the distance. ( I do should check, but the magnified tow mirror makes my mind doubt it self )

Anyone else has this type feeling ? Or any suggestion. Maybe I just got get use to it.

It will take some trial-and-error to get things just right, but the outer fisheye mirrors are manually adjustable. I fixed mine up so that the inside edge just captures the lane marking, and the inner one ends just past it. So just as something exits the distance mirror it shows up on the normal and vice-versa.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I like the tow mirrors only while they're folded out so the curved mirror is at the bottom other than they aren't very aesthetically pleasing in that position. When they're in the other position I find that I have a real problem seeing while backing up and changing lanes. FCA really dropped the ball on not updating the tow mirrors with the redesign. Also, the lack of power folding and heated mirrors on my 2019 Rebel is a let down. Can't imagine why heated mirrors don't come standard when you get heated seats, wheel and rear window defrost.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I aim the outer mirrors slightly down too so you can see exactly where the rear tire is when backing up. You can get right up against a curb with the view these mirrors provide and not scrape your tire or wheel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread