5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Hooks

InFamous

Reaction score
Looks great! I have mine but haven't installed them yet. Any tips for getting those factory bolts to loosen up? LOL I only have a shorter socket wrench and when I started taking things apart it just wasn't happening.

HtownRam2020

Reaction score
Thank yall. Yeah man it was pretty easy. I didn't have a longer socket wrench either I had to use a pipe wrench and just hammer down on it.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks great! I have mine but haven't installed them yet. Any tips for getting those factory bolts to loosen up? LOL I only have a shorter socket wrench and when I started taking things apart it just wasn't happening.

Those long factory bolts have a steel "washer" or something on the end of the them which prevents the bolt from falling out if they were to come loose. So as Htown mentioned, rachet them out as far as possible (until they stop moving down), put an adjustable/wrench above the bolt head, then hammer down on the wrench to force the bolt to come out the remaining amount. Takes a bit, but it will drop out eventually.

highgear2005

Reaction score
No need to hammer anything! I used a small pair of vise grips and a flat screw drive. Lock the vise grips just under the boss, use it for leverage and easily pry down. Repeat a few time and the bolt falls out. No effort at all. There’s electronics on the drivers side, I wouldn’t want to slip and hit that box with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread