5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Hook Bolt Size?

rwo978

Reaction score
Hello all.
Continuing to accessorize my 5th Gen V6 BH LV1.

I've noticed that a lot of the trucks don't come with tow hooks, which are a necessity up here in the froze north winters. I bought an aftermarket take-off set which came with a set of bolts. However, the bolts ended up being the wrong size, they were too small. So I now have them hooks and bezels fully installed, save these 2 bolts.

Does anyone know the measurements of this second bolt? This is not the long one that's already on the truck with the retaining clip. This is the shorter one that mounts towards the exterior of the vehicle.

I searched the forums, and the internet for that matter, and couldn't find the answer... and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering the answer to this.

Thanks!!!

saxapl

Reaction score
It’s a 21 mm socket to take it off. That is about 13/16 in standard which would be a 9/16 bolt. 9/16 bolts are just over 14 mm.

rwo978

Reaction score
Being most of these bolts/nuts on the truck are metric, I would assume they are the 14mm then. However, in my research, I saw something about 15mm as well??? I’ll have to make a trip to the hardware store tomorrow and get a variety.

rwo978

Reaction score
So, it was 14 mm. I bought a 35mm length (about 2 inches). Anything longer than that where I was looking and they had an unthreaded portion near the head. I'm sure you could find fully threaded longer bolts, but I didn't want to go traipsing around town on a Sunday looking for them.

AndyFSR

Reaction score
So, it was 14 mm. I bought a 35mm length (about 2 inches). Anything longer than that where I was looking and they had an unthreaded portion near the head. I'm sure you could find fully threaded longer bolts, but I didn't want to go traipsing around town on a Sunday looking for them.
14 mm do you recall thread pitch and where did you find them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/