5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow/Haul Mode

GrizEagle

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on using the Tow/Haul Mode when towing a medium weight (4300lb) trailer. I have a 2020 with the GDE engine/trans tune and the truck seems to have plenty of power for cruising on the flats and will consistently hold 8th gear while towing. Seems like the tow/haul mode just lowers the shift points and holds gears longer? I will use it if the trans keeps shifting between gears but otherwise I tend to leave it off. Any thoughts?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Tow/haul will also downshift and compression brake for you if you're on a downgrade with your foot off the pedal. Whatever speed you were at when you let off, that's going to be the target And after it slows down, it will stay in that lower gear until you accelerate again. You may find that useful.

TSL

Reaction score
Tow/haul will also downshift and compression brake for you if you're on a downgrade with your foot off the pedal. Whatever speed you were at when you let off, that's going to be the target And after it slows down, it will stay in that lower gear until you accelerate again. You may find that useful.
On my '22 Rebel I noticed recently on a trip through the mountains that it seemed to do that without my engaging Tow/Haul mode ( I wasn't towing anything, bed full of camping gear and cab full of family however ). On longer downgrades a couple of times I noticed it had dropped to 7th and the RPM's had come up. I was essentially coasting and had tapped the brakes once or twice, definitely seemed like it figured out by itself that down shifting would be a good idea, even without tow/haul engaged. Maybe that would make it do it more assertively perhaps.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on using the Tow/Haul Mode when towing a medium weight (4300lb) trailer. I have a 2020 with the GDE engine/trans tune and the truck seems to have plenty of power for cruising on the flats and will consistently hold 8th gear while towing. Seems like the tow/haul mode just lowers the shift points and holds gears longer? I will use it if the trans keeps shifting between gears but otherwise I tend to leave it off. Any thoughts?
I came back from a 6 week 6,000 mile trip towing a small 14.5 travel trailer, 2500 lbs, did not use the tow haul mode with that little weight, Northern Ontario to Newfoundland, it’s hard to believe that the Appalachian mountains go all the way north to Newfoundland, a lot of steep hills, so I kept an eye on the transmission temperature. It stayed between 84 c to 87 C or 183 F to 188 F.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use it. The truck will still go into 8th gear with to haul mode on. I find it does a better job of grade shifting with tow haul mode on.

How are you liking the GDE tune? I have a 2020 and want to get it done.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Always use Tall Ho mode towing anything, and sometimes empty.

Reason being lugging the engine and constantly shuffling gears is how you overheat.

Also may help with hill descents.

Users who are viewing this thread