5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Haul Mode question

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I can't stand the MDS and I absolutely can't stand cycling through gears to 8. My wife thinks I'm crazy as she has no clue when MDS is on or not (how, I don't know....) but she does love driving around in Tow Haul mode, as do I.

Mileage be damned, I don't care so don't offer, please, but am I correct to assume that Tow Haul only affects shift points?

That being the case, there is no mechanical harm in driving around all the time in Tow Haul, is there???

Thanks!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No mechanical harm. It's beneficial in my opinion, the engine isn't lugging and you're not driving a 4 banger. I suffer through the gear selector myself, second nature at this point. I get a lot of eye rolls from my wife too lol

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've driven extensively in tow/haul mode in the canyons near where I live. It essentially will hold the gear slightly longer, but the big difference is when slowing down, you just touch the brake pedal and it will downshift, push on it more and it will downshift again, won't stop this process until you press on the gas again. This is pretty good in giving more engine braking not just for towing, but more aggressive downshifts in on a windy/canyon road.

I won't call it a "sport button" per say, like on Fords. It doesn't effect the ratio on the acceleration pedal like those modes typically do, but if you want more engine braking I would use it. For casual driving, I don't really see a negative either, will save you some brakes, maybe a slight increase in fuel usage due to ratios held longer and higher rpms when slowing down.

For the gear limit buttons, it is a hassle fumbling with it at the start, but I find that hitting minus button at speed, once I get underway, will get me to 7th or 8th gear right away, a lot less cycling that way. Eco mode doesn't usually come on till later on my truck, so it works out great doing it that way. Though it is a hassle anytime you take your tranny out of drive and have to do it again, so the tow/haul mode does make it convenient.

Last edited:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sort of is a sport mode. If you have tow/haul on and you’re driving in traffic and want to speed up or get around someone the truck will respond quicker with less downshifting.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It sort of is a sport mode. If you have tow/haul on and you’re driving in traffic and want to speed up or get around someone the truck will respond quicker with less downshifting.

Agree on that, it is kinda a sport mode on how the transmission responds. I wished the RAM had a true sport mode which also change the ratio on the throttle control, the way a peddle commander does.

MotoMoose68

Reaction score
I can't stand the MDS and I absolutely can't stand cycling through gears to 8. My wife thinks I'm crazy as she has no clue when MDS is on or not (how, I don't know....) but she does love driving around in Tow Haul mode, as do I.

Mileage be damned, I don't care so don't offer, please, but am I correct to assume that Tow Haul only affects shift points?

That being the case, there is no mechanical harm in driving around all the time in Tow Haul, is there???

Thanks!
The only time is say it might not be wanted is in icy conditions, as the aggressive downshifting may break the tires loose. That being said, it won't lock up the wheels as would happen with over braking. If course ABS should help prevent that.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks!
From what I'm told, there's a chance that your engine can heat up more and burn oil if using the tow/haul mode 100% of the time. Maybe that's why the manual states to only use it when towing/hauling or driving through a lot of mountains/hills. Personally I only use that mode when doing one of those 3 or when I'm in a slow down on the highway. (saves transmission from a lot of shifting in stop & go).

Users who are viewing this thread