5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow/Haul Mode equals SPORT Mode(?!)

Ready Go

Reaction score
So I recently read some facts about Tow/Haul Mode...

Firmer/higher RPM upshifts,
Rev-matching down shifts,
Locks out 8th gear(until 70mph?),
Disables Auto Start/Stop,
Shuts off MDS,
Virtually identical MPG to non-T/H

So, I decided to try T/H Mode just driving around in my 2024 Laramie G/T..and amazing, the truck now acts like my Challenger SRT392 in Custom Mode (Race: Engine, Trans, Steering, Braking) with (Sport: Suspension)!!

Since I have a G/T, I can manually shift up or down as I choose, but the T/H Mode gives great upshifts and Rev-matching downshifting on it's own (that I LOVE!).

ALSO, I can attest that on our rural roads (45-60mph) the MPG is exactly the same as in non-T/H Mode..will go up if try to be a miser without any difficulty!

Anyone else driving this way??

Any thoughts on if there's any reason not to or issue with doing this??

It's so much funner to drive in T/H Mode🤗

Attachments

• 20160424_134835.jpg
    20160424_134835.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

familywagon

Reaction score
I’ve used it for decelerating going down hills to not have to ride the brakes. But haven’t driven around town. I assumed it would kill mpg Bc of the extra higher revs.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I haven't noticed it locking out 8th gear, but it does disable MDS.

It also downshifts to hold speed when you have your foot off the pedal on downgrades.

I use Tow/haul often.
YES, forgot about NO MDS, I'll edit that.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I’ve used it for decelerating going down hills to not have to ride the brakes. But haven’t driven around town. I assumed it would kill mpg Bc of the extra higher revs.
MPG the same so far..but with 3.92 gear in my G/T, it would definitely suffer if going HWY speeds of 70+ mph..maybe T/H Mode would kick off at a certain mph(??)..will have to try it.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't lock out 8th on my BH, but the shift point is at about 70 MPH.
Personally I'm pretty satisfied with the stock shift points, but wish I had more
control. Sometimes wish it would shift a little lower, but drive in 8 most of
the time. I use T/H for what it is named for. 🤷‍♂️

Ready Go

Reaction score
It doesn't lock out 8th on my BH, but the shift point is at about 70 MPH.
Personally I'm pretty satisfied with the stock shift points, but wish I had more
control. Sometimes wish it would shift a little lower, but drive in 8 most of
the time. I use T/H for what it is named for. 🤷‍♂️
I suspected that it would shift to 8th gear at some point (speed/mph)..70mph makes sense to me! I'll give it a try and see.
On the Challenger, Track mode hold the trans to 7th gear also.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Almost, the missing thing that most sport modes have is the throttle ratio is increased, kinda the way a pedal commander works. With the tow/haul, it stays 1:1 ratio.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Almost, the missing thing that most sport modes have is the throttle ratio is increased, kinda the way a pedal commander works. It stays 1:1 ratio.
Well, in T/H("Sport")Mode, my right foot flattens that pedal more, so it kinda does increase the throttle "ratio"!! 🤣

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, in T/H("Sport")Mode, my right foot flattens that pedal more, so it kinda does increase the throttle "ratio"!! 🤣

Absolutely :)

But that doesn't fool you mind into thinking it's "sportier". That's why they sell so many Pedal Commanders, that mental unexpected increase in throttle to what your foot is doing and how the vehicle is reacting is the feeling we are all after. It's fake in reality, but works.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Absolutely :)

But that doesn't fool you mind into thinking it's "sportier". That's why they sell so many Pedal Commanders, that mental unexpected increase in throttle to what your foot is doing and how the vehicle is reacting is the feeling we are all after. It's fake in reality, but works.
Yep, I have a PC and a full HHP custom/Diablosport tune on the Challenger..slightly twitching with both..had to dial back the PC slightly. 👍

23RAM

Reaction score
It also downshifts to hold speed when you have your foot off the pedal on downgrades.
Mine does this without using tow mode, but not as aggressively. When cruise is engaged, it downshifts similar to towing mode.
I use Tow/haul often.
I don't use it much, only when towing through hilly terrain. I find I don't need it when towing on flatter terrain, although it's mostly just my 5k boat to/from the ramp.

barrak

Reaction score
Mine does this without using tow mode, but not as aggressively. When cruise is engaged, it downshifts similar to towing mode.

Same here. Near decent engine braking going downhill without engaging the TH mode or the gear-limiter. My two other vehicles ('15 Subaru Outback and '15 Toyota Sienna) will simply runaway at any downhill grade without active gear control on my part.

JOzzz

Reaction score
So I recently read some facts about Tow/Haul Mode...

Firmer/higher RPM upshifts,
Rev-matching down shifts,
Locks out 8th gear(until 70mph?),
Disables Auto Start/Stop,
Shuts off MDS,
Virtually identical MPG to non-T/H

So, I decided to try T/H Mode just driving around in my 2024 Laramie G/T..and amazing, the truck now acts like my Challenger SRT392 in Custom Mode (Race: Engine, Trans, Steering, Braking) with (Sport: Suspension)!!

Since I have a G/T, I can manually shift up or down as I choose, but the T/H Mode gives great upshifts and Rev-matching downshifting on it's own (that I LOVE!).

ALSO, I can attest that on our rural roads (45-60mph) the MPG is exactly the same as in non-T/H Mode..will go up if try to be a miser without any difficulty!

Anyone else driving this way??

Any thoughts on if there's any reason not to or issue with doing this??

It's so much funner to drive in T/H Mode

Agree! I’m almost always in T/H. If I wanted MPG I’d get a Prius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have cruise control set, even without being in T/H, the truck downshifts to maintain speed going downhill

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. Near decent engine braking going downhill without engaging the TH mode or the gear-limiter. My two other vehicles ('15 Subaru Outback and '15 Toyota Sienna) will simply runaway at any downhill grade without active gear control on my part.
My wife's 2020 Traverse will accelerate downhill to a point, then eventually try and downshift, but it's usually 10mph over the cruise set point by then and doesn't help much

Users who are viewing this thread