5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow/Haul Mode and Oil Slinging

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Slim chance; did you get it underoiled last winter? The guys who did my jeep used to fill the hood with oil and whenever it got really hot (during summer and then making it work) the oil would leak out the hood and make a mess over the grill. Wouldn't show up until it really got hot.

Brobee

Reaction score
Slim chance; did you get it underoiled last winter? The guys who did my jeep used to fill the hood with oil and whenever it got really hot (during summer and then making it work) the oil would leak out the hood and make a mess over the grill. Wouldn't show up until it really got hot.
By 'underoiled' do you mean undercoated? I did have undercoating done before the snow flew here in NE Ohio. I'd like to believe it could be a fluky thing like that. I'm still a little puzzled by WHEN it has happened. I've taken the truck on long road trips to Michigan and back with not one sign of this oil seepage. Now I have not had the truck long enough to be in hot weather, since I took delivery in November (again, in NE Ohio). I do want to test hauling my boat without putting it in tow/haul mode before I dump it off at the dealer.

silver billet

Reaction score
By 'underoiled' do you mean undercoated? I did have undercoating done before the snow flew here in NE Ohio. I'd like to believe it could be a fluky thing like that. I'm still a little puzzled by WHEN it has happened. I've taken the truck on long road trips to Michigan and back with not one sign of this oil seepage. Now I have not had the truck long enough to be in hot weather, since I took delivery in November (again, in NE Ohio). I do want to test hauling my boat without putting it in tow/haul mode before I dump it off at the dealer.

We call it "under oiling" or "oil sprayed"; basically they use a wand and spray a mixture of oil + some other stuff to prevent rust through the winter. Some mixtures drip more than others, but they all seem to drip for me. In my case it ran out from under the hood, but didn't appear constantly, only when engine bay got really hot.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I would still suspect an oil or trans cooler line loose behind the grill. Tranny and oil coolers should be mounted in there right in front of the radiator
I would agree. Perhaps higher pressures on towing? Just a guess.

Brobee

Reaction score
Sunday Update: I private messaged my local detailer, who did the undercoating before winter and this was the response:

ME: Hello - is it possible for the underoil coating that you use to get into the hood, and then leak out of the front (headlight area) when hot? Trying to troubshoot if I have an oil leak under my hood somewhere...

THEM: Undercoating was sprayed in the hood holes. But never had it leak out like your saying. But any things possible.

@the wanderer - you get the Eagle Eye award I think. After your mention of this, and reaching out to the detailer, I popped the hood again and looked up rather than inside and all around. There's a big goober about ready to drip, as you can see. I also verified that I'm not low on oil. The engine bay heat from putting the truck under an above normal load must have been the variable that completed the equation.

I'm sorry if some people found this off-putting, but you can image the surprise and embarrassment coming out to your brand new truck and seeing the front end dripping oil profusely. I am more confident that this is an undercoating issue now, and will continue to monitor before I gripe to the dealer.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 59

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Great info and likely determination of the culprit! Thanks for closing the loop on this. (y)

silver billet

Reaction score
Sunday Update: I private messaged my local detailer, who did the undercoating before winter and this was the response:

ME: Hello - is it possible for the underoil coating that you use to get into the hood, and then leak out of the front (headlight area) when hot? Trying to troubshoot if I have an oil leak under my hood somewhere...

THEM: Undercoating was sprayed in the hood holes. But never had it leak out like your saying. But any things possible.

@the wanderer - you get the Eagle Eye award I think. After your mention of this, and reaching out to the detailer, I popped the hood again and looked up rather than inside and all around. There's a big goober about ready to drip, as you can see. I also verified that I'm not low on oil. The engine bay heat from putting the truck under an above normal load must have been the variable that completed the equation.

I'm sorry if some people found this off-putting, but you can image the surprise and embarrassment coming out to your brand new truck and seeing the front end dripping oil profusely. I am more confident that this is an undercoating issue now, and will continue to monitor before I gripe to the dealer.
Well it sorta sucks that's it happens, but on the other hand, the relief you feel when you realize it's just under oil..... Glad to heat that's the most likely culprit.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That’s what this forum is all about... we all experience “things that make you go hmmm” (I’d never heard of yours happening) but it’s the folks like you that post, discuss, keep their cool, and resolve it for the benefit of others that make this all work... not to mention others who share their wisdom like @the wanderer .
Good to hear you have figured out a likely culprit and that nothing more serious is wrong. (y)

Brobee

Reaction score
That’s what this forum is all about... we all experience “things that make you go hmmm” (I’d never heard of yours happening) but it’s the folks like you that post, discuss, keep their cool, and resolve it for the benefit of others that make this all work... not to mention others who share their wisdom like @the wanderer .
Good to hear you have figured out a likely culprit and that nothing more serious is wrong. (y)
Indeed! I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. Being able to bounce this off the forum was a tremendous help. Prior to this, the only benefit was finding cool ways to spend even more of my money on mods :)

cotonymopar

Reaction score
No, no oil cooler or mod under the hood other than CAI. It's fresh, clean oil (just had an oil change a month ago).
check the line from the pcv vavle to the throttle body... it might have been left unattached I have an oil catch can, and there has been quite a bit in there.

Firebird

Reaction score
Nice score on the diagnosis! This is what great forum's are for.

wwalljr

Reaction score
We call it "under oiling" or "oil sprayed"; basically they use a wand and spray a mixture of oil + some other stuff to prevent rust through the winter. Some mixtures drip more than others, but they all seem to drip for me. In my case it ran out from under the hood, but didn't appear constantly, only when engine bay got really hot.
This is interesting. I live in ND and winter salt and brine on the highways is brutal. I can’t say I know anyone who has had this procedure done. How long does treatment last? At what temperature does the stuff start dripping back off the vehicle?

silver billet

Reaction score
This is interesting. I live in ND and winter salt and brine on the highways is brutal. I can’t say I know anyone who has had this procedure done. How long does treatment last? At what temperature does the stuff start dripping back off the vehicle?

It should be done every year (right before snow flies for first time) for best results. The dripping is usually just the first week or so (don't park it in your paved driveway without putting cardboard/sand down first). After that, you normally don't see it drip, though you do get pretty pad grease marks all over your bumpers and door sills which can be pressured washed off after that week is over. Some oil mixtures are more drippy than others, you can get "drippless" too which is far less drippy though it still dripped a bit for me.

I've never had my cars drip oil from the hood, just my jeep. Thought it was just a case of them spraying too much in. But in my case, it would run down from the hood 3/4 of a year later, in the middle of hot summer when the engine was also quite hot.

Users who are viewing this thread