5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow/Haul Mode and Oil Slinging

Brobee

Reaction score
I just noticed that EVERY time that I use tow/haul mode, I have to wipe down my front end (grill, headlights, bumper, and all the way down to the drips coming off my fog lights due to oil spewing out from under the hood. Silly question, but is this normal???

Brobee

Reaction score
No definitely not normal
That's what I would have thought. Any ideas why this is? It just seems to happen when I use tow/haul, which I've done twice now. Once with a load of mulch in my trailer, and another with my boat. I thought the first time was a fluke, but it's definitely a pattern now.

Brobee

Reaction score
external oil cooler? what color is the liquid? red, brown/black,???
No, no oil cooler or mod under the hood other than CAI. It's fresh, clean oil (just had an oil change a month ago).

James Cole

Reaction score
WTF, how could that be normal?

Are the oil cap and dipstick in place? I am thinking they forgot to put them back...

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Go back to where you had it changed. (I mean look under the hood first and check the oil level before you drive). Then take it back.

Brobee

Reaction score
Go back to where you had it changed. (I mean look under the hood first and check the oil level before you drive). Then take it back.
Yeah - I've had minor warranty issues on vehicles before, but this....this is special.

Brobee

Reaction score
If you are referring to me as a troll, trying to ask the forum for help like so many on here do, then I would suggest you hop on a *deleted* forum or something that would bring more joy to your life. Here are some pics of the oil that I missed. Again, the headlights were completely coated, and it just seems to ooze out of the hood and drips down the entire front end. Will be calling the Jim Shorkey Auto Group first thing Monday morning, since they touched it last. I am not that mechanical, or I'd list things that I have tried to fix this obvious issue.

Clearly I am the only one that has had this happen, and there's no TSB or otherwise. I guess that I what I needed to confirm. Thanks James Cole and DontFront82 for your excellent douchbaggery.

Attachments

• IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 126

Nightmare90gt

Reaction score
I would think you have a line leaking once the truck is under a heavy load

Brobee

Reaction score
WTF, how could that be normal?

Are the oil cap and dipstick in place? I am thinking they forgot to put them back...

Yes - those are the only obvious things I can think of to check. As you can see from the photos, it's pooling in places under the hood, and then escapes out of the area of the hood above (behind) the headlights and runs down.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 84

Brobee

Reaction score
I would think you have a line leaking once the truck is under a heavy load

Yeah - this is indeed upsetting. Especially with a truck that has just under 4k miles on it. The only thing I have NOT done yet is to tow something without using the tow/haul mode. I've always been pretty anal about using that when trailering.

Nightmare90gt

Reaction score
If you have a go pro mount it under the hood facing the radiator and go for a drive

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Now now forum, that claim is easily documented and proven/disproven. He’s posted pics and if he has a dealer service/warranty invoice then who’s to say it wasn’t some dimwit on the line that failed to tighten something? Might as well find out.

To me a troll is one who tries to ignite Chevy/Ford vs Ram wars or needless carping about minor quality issues. His is too easy to prove or disprove, a simple service ticket could verify. It’s the “I heard from my in-law that...” crap I detest.

Now, I heard from my brother that Chev... :p

Brobee

Reaction score
Now now forum, that claim is easily documented and proven/disproven. He’s posted pics and if he has a dealer service/warranty invoice then who’s to say it wasn’t some dimwit on the line that failed to tighten something? Might as well find out.

To me a troll is one who tries to ignite Chevy/Ford vs Ram wars or needless carping about minor quality issues. His is too easy to prove or disprove, a simple service ticket could verify. It’s the “I heard from my in-law that...” crap I detest.

Thank you, kind sir. I will also add, that when I had my truck in for the first oil change, I also asked them to take a look at the 'skunk smell' that many of us have reported on these new RAM 1500's. It is very possible that a tech did unhook something inadvertently when investigating that issue. The puzzling thing is that I only spew oil out from under the hood when towing something. Normal driving around town seems fine. At least I did not get any sign of it after wiping it down the first time, and taking it thru a touchless wash. That was while towing 2 tons of manure in a dump trailer. This Friday was just towing my 17' Lund, which only weighs a little over 1200. Both scenarios were while I had Tow/Haul activated.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Agreed, thanks @Willworkfortruck - just because someone has a problem you’ve never heard of doesn’t mean it isn’t real.

@Brobee just because something happens after something else (tow-haul, oil) doesn’t always equate to a direct cause-effect relationship, so remember to keep your eyes/ears/senses open to other anomalies. (Regarding your mod-edited reply above, please hold your political speech back. I understand your anger, but that will take us downhill in a jiffy... not what this site is about. Thank you.)

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I’d like to get a final disposition on this issue before too long. Too often problems get posted then the OP disappears, and that doesn’t help anyone. The “one-off” things are just that, but there are others that get reported/investigated so that members can check for on their own truck.

I have benefited from the Ford Edge and F150 forums in the past, hard tranny downshifts and constant battery draining on the 2015+ F150 and TPU units burning up (to the tune of $1600) on the 2007-2014 AWD Edge forums.
I value other Ram owner/members posts on everything from buyers experiences (prices pd) to mpg, and everything in between. One has to take “eyebrow raising” posts with the proverbial grain of salt but still allow a member to prove their information.
Hopefully he will come back with the details and if an oil change tech didn't tighten something, or if this leads to a TSB, then it is all good to know.

I really appreciate the civility of the members overall here, my years on the F150 forum were not anywhere near as good as Ram owners seem to be. ;)

I’m pleased with the overall quality, fit and finish and the operation of the truck’s electronics and drivetrain. The automotive press reviews got me here and I’m very happy with it. Hoping you all like your trucks and get any annoyances resolved quickly.
(Now if I could just have gotten 25% off MSRP on my limited, I’d be really happy, ha ha).

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would still suspect an oil or trans cooler line loose behind the grill. Tranny and oil coolers should be mounted in there right in front of the radiator

Users who are viewing this thread